Aldi 80GB Twin Tuner PVR 15th Dec £99.99

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by Bassbin, Dec 8, 2005.

Tags:
  1. Bassbin

Bassbin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    Picked up a flyer in sotre today on sale from next Thursday. Details should be on their website in the next day or so. Looks ok will pick one up next week and give it a try as it's pretty painless returning stuff at Aldi if it's no good.

2. ROYOLD

ROYOLD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +296
    Its in the leaflet I picked up at local Aldi this afternoon so probably on website tomorrow. This will probably be a popular buy. Not many 80GB twin tuner PVR's around for £100. Picture looks similar to same size, shape as fusion FVRT 200 but remote looks more conventional style than fusion. Can record two channels same time whilst watching one of them. Timeshift function allowing you to play and record simultaneously and pause live TV. Interactive teletext (MHEG5) Auto channel search.
    Now and next info. EPG Guide. Slimline design

Guess it will sell out in no time on the 15th with a price comparable to some STB's.

The make of this PVR is listed as "TECHNOSONIC"

3. MrMeguy

MrMeguy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
  4. MattMcSpirit

MattMcSpirit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Whats the process for returning things to Aldi, just in case? Is it the usual 28 days, or 16?

5. ROYOLD

ROYOLD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +296
    Not sure they have a time limit. They state if you are not satisfied with anything you can return it. I returned a faulty PC after 18 months and they refunded the full price back on my debit card.

It isn't stated in the leaflet but this 80GB PVR should give you the same 40 hours TV storage in broadcast quality - same as the Digifusion FVRT200.

6. MattMcSpirit

MattMcSpirit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I suppose for £100, its worth trying it, seeing how buggy it is etc, assess the picture quality and the like, and if its naff, take it back! Do you think they will support future updates if there are bugs?

I wonder what kind of sacrifices will make this come in at £100 to £150 less than the Humax of Topfield?

7. Bassbin

Bassbin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    I think they have a limit of one year (but you may get a way with longer). Some of their tools/electrical goods have a 3 year manufacturers waranty but there's no mention of that on this item.

Overall I think Aldi are in the process of slowly distancing themselves from their waranty policy so that they can change it without too much fuss at some point in the future. They used to shout about there 'no quibble' returns policy on all their flyers but now it is nowhere to be seen and also haven't noticed it on their website or in store. This is just my opinion though and Aldi have been fantastic whenever I've had to return an item so far.

8. daddyp

daddyp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've never had a PVR before and I'm sick of paying subscription to SKY. At this price I'm really tempted to go for it, but I'm a bit dubious. Some of the Aldi electronics appear to be too good to be true with regards spec and price. Should I go for it or save up the pennies for the Humax?

9. unique

unique

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,209
    is there anywhere else (such as online) where you can get a 80gig freeview for this price or better? or a bigger model at a comparative price? aldi is a pain to get to

also, any ideas how long 80gigs holds? about 40 hours in high quality or more? if so, thats alright for £100. if i can record stuff onto that over xmas and then dump it onto my standalone dvd recorder or better still, plug it into the pc and drag the files over, it wouldnt be bad

10. Parmenion

Parmenion

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    Noticed someone above saying about recording two channels at once and watching one of them. I take it you can also watch something already recorded in the box while recording two channels?

regards

Parmenion

11. unique

unique

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,209
    i see lidl have a target dual layer standalone dvd recorder with 160gig HD for £150, which isn't bad either, shame it doesn't have freeview as that wouldve been a good deal

12. Gillsfan

Gillsfan
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Does anyone know if I will be able to connect my telewest box to it so I can record whatever im watching on there and then use its internal tuner to watch freeview??

13. laser

laser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Usually PVR's do not have a video input (scart of composite) therefore you probably won't be able to record telewest. If you check models from Humax and Topfield, both scarts are output only.

14. laser

laser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Although a bargain at £100 for a twin tuner PVR don't expect regular updates to fix bugs unless they pretty much break the PVR and stop you using it.

If this is of importance to you I would ask what the update procedure is before you purchase the PVR, probably by checking the manual i.e.

1. Can you manually update firmware via USB or RS232.

2. Does the manual provide specific instructions for overair updates.

3. Is there a manufacturers website which lists the product and provides a list of bugs and possibly future updates.

Companies like Humax and Topfield provide this type of information so you at least know what is going on if you encounter a bug, even if they won't or can't fix the problem.

PVR's are renowned for being bug ridden, especially in the early weeks after launch.

Along as you can take it back for a refund you should be OK but don't expect miracles at this price.

Bearing in mind that the £260.00 Panasonic twin tuner PVR was rubbish and only had 80GB HDD its probably worth checking the Aldi PVR out if you don't already have one.

15. ROYOLD

ROYOLD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +296
    On the Digifusion and all the other PVR's you can record two freeview channels whilst watching something you have previously recorded onto the HDD at the same time. The Aldi leaflet doesn't exactly say that tho but I would assume it to be true.

PVR's are not a direct replacement for a vcr. They only record from freeview channels and they have no inputs so you cannot record from ANY external sources such as a vcr, sky, camcorder etcetera.

PVR's will fill up the HDD very quickly if you allow a build up of recorded programmes. The idea being to watch and delete or if its something you wish to keep then transfer it via scart to a dvd recorder DVDR disc or even a vcr tape if you want to. The 80GB HDD will hold approx 40 hours of TV programmes in broadcast quality. If you fill up the HDD then you will have to delete some stored programmes before you can record any new ones.

16. Lunar Humps

Lunar Humps

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Think Im going to try this, there's an Aldi in town. Nice spot on the flyer too, I normally file their mailshots in the round filing tray.

I have a freeview box (Panny TUCT30) but do want an HDD one. However, Ive been put off due to price. Doesnt anyone think HDD frewviews are overpriced? Considering the price of hard drives and the cost of freeview receivers youd think there would have been some single tuner ones for less than £100 by now. The Topfield is an outrageous price IMHO.

17. ROYOLD

ROYOLD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +296
  18. silentaction12

silentaction12

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Picked up a flyer from Lidl on sale from next Monday12/12/05. Aldi Twin tuner 80GB PVR with FREEVIEW //or to go for Lidi160 GB Records: 160GB hard drive (super quiet), DVD+R DL 8.5GB on 2 layers, DVD-R/-RW, DVD+R/+RW, each with 4.7GB

[r] Only available from stores in the Midlands, Norfolk, Lincolnshire, the South West of England (except Gloucestershire and Hereford). Merseyside, the North West of England, North Wales, Yorkshire and Humberside. Check in store for availability.

DVD Recorder with 160GB Hard Disk Drive

DVD recorder with integrated 160 GB hard disk to record films or TV programs from the built-in TV-tuner onto a DVD or to archive it onto the hard drive
    Multinorm burner for DVD+R DL, DVD+R/+RW and DVD-R/-RW
    The time slip function allows you to stop watching a live TV program and continue to watch it later without missing anything
    DivX, XviD, MPEG 4, MPEG 2 and MPEG 1 formats
    Copies DVD onto HDD and HDD onto DVD
    Videoplus ®/ PDC
    Time slip and one touch recording
    DTS and Dolby Digital via digital coaxial and digital optical out
    Video:
    - Records: MPEG 2, MPEG 1
    - Plays: MPEG 2, MPEG 1, DivX, XviD, MPEG 4
    Audio:
    - Records: Dolby Digital (2-channel stereo), MPEG 1 Layer 2, PCM
    - Plays: MP3, WMA, WAV, LPCM, Dolby Digital 2-channel (Stereo), DTS and Dolby Digital via digital coaxial and digital optical out
    Records: 160GB hard drive (super quiet), DVD+R DL 8.5GB on 2 layers, DVD-R/-RW, DVD+R/+RW, each with 4.7GB
    Plays: From hard drive, DVD+R DL, (8.5GB Dual Layer), DVD-R/-RW, DVD+R/+RW, CD-R/-RW, DVD-video, Audio-CD, MP3-CD, WMA-CD, WAV-CD, S-Video-CD, Video-CD, Picture-CD (JPEG, BMP)
    Connections: Stereo-IN front AV, DV-In (digital video), Scart-in (RGB, Video), Scart-out (RGB, S-video and video), component video out (YUV), stereo AV-out, digital out (coaxial and optical)
    Supplied with: Remote control including batteries, 1 x AV-cable (3 x cinch), 1 x scart cable, 1 x antenna cable, 1 x DVD-RW recordable DVD and instruction manual
    Available in silver
    3 Year manufacturer’s warranty
    Price per item
    7 Similar item, Goodmans GHDD177DVDR DVD recorder with 80GB hard disk drive, £199.99, Argos Autumn/Winter 2005 catalogue, p.888, no. 5

http://www.lidl.co.uk/gb/home.nsf/pages/c.o.20051212.p.DVD_Recorder_with_160GB_Hard_Disk_Drive_

19. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,765
    Forgive me, but what has a detailed specification for a HDD-DVD recorder (without Freeview) got to do with Aldi 80GB Twin Tuner PVR ? They are two very different products.

20. Ron Baker

Ron Baker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    About to buy this Techosonic from Aldi tomorrow was believing that I could recorded cable programmes, now after reading this thread it appears you can only recorded from whatever it drags in, that being Freeview channels and lets be honest on this, there crap anyway that's why there free.

Now there's another issue mentioned on this thread that was bugs, what problems does that cause and this updating issue, can some one enlighten me on the subject of updating, bug issues.

On the subject of returns if any goods become faulty within the first 6 months you can request a repair, refund, replacement

21. LV426

LV426

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,765
    It's like all Freeview PVRs. It records Freeview. Period. In fact, it's a Freeview Set Top Box with the addition of a recording feature. Even the most expensive Freeview PVR (Topfield 5800 - GBP300 ish) is the same in this respect. It's what Freeview PVRs do.

Bugs: Pretty well every Freeview PVR has software bugs. Varying in severity. Even the Topfield one has bugs. Manufacturers can broadcast updates to their software, which are picked up by the box and installed, usually automatically so as to (try to) fix bugs. Different manufacturers treat the fixing of bugs with varying degrees of responsibility.

22. m0nk3y

m0nk3y

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bravo LV426

Let's look at the facts here...

It's a freeview HD recorder with dual tuners, 80 Hard drive and EPG for £100 !

A 80Gb ide drive will cost you £45 !!

It seems cheap and you can always take it back / put on ebay if needs be.

I have equipment a lot more expensive that has had problems gone back etc.

If you want to record freeview without the need for tapes - it seems a bargain. My mum loves her Humax freeview recorder - half the capacity and one tuner - simple EPG " I'll record Eastenders tonight" thank you, no looking for a blank tape and rewinding. Watch and delete. Also pause live tv when the phone rings. Happy days.

M0nk3y

23. final

final

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Whether channels are crap is a purely personal taste.
    But you NEVER watch BBC, ITV, CH4, FIVE, E4, ....?

Standard guarantees are 1 year, not 6 months.

24. Ron Baker

Ron Baker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    @LV426, thank you for that information on the subject of bugs/updated software.:smashin:

This is non of this forums faulty but in the ad, Aldi state Personal Video Recorder with Freeview, that would give most people the impression that its like any other Video Recorder that you can record from tv,cable,sky, but with the added feature of Freeview, they mention twin scart sockets but they just could be “out only”.

The only way we are going to find out is buy one and see what the manual says I doubt Aldi will have opened one, :thumbsdow so people can check the manual or look at the connections at the back.

Me and the missus are in two minds now if to buy one.

25. m0nk3y

m0nk3y

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mate this is a freeview recorder which is a personal video recorder, you will not be able to hook it up to cable etc. it will only record from it's in-built tuners.

As i said before, it's £100 not £250 worth of Tivo or even more for media Centre etc let's not loose sight of what it is for the money.

26. LV426

LV426

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,765
    I'll absolutely promise you, it won't record anything but Freeview.

The term PVR (rightly or wrongly) is nowadays taken to mean exactly what I describe above.

The two SCARTs are to provide an output to a TV and to (say) a HDD-DVD or VCR, and to provide a LOOPTHROUGH for the latter. That's all. Not for taking av AV input into the box for recording.

27. apf666

apf666

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    oh go on ron buy one, you know you want to, it will change the way you watch telly, you can take it back if unhappy, as you know aldi are ok with returns, just sometimes you need to explain consumer law to them

regards ????

28. Ron Baker

Ron Baker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    @ Final

I was not talking about guarantee or warranty from the manufacturer that enable you to claim a free repair or replacement within a set time normally 12 months, what i was referring to,was that you are entitled to your money back if there is a fault with the goods, or they are any of the following.
    Unsatisfactory quality
    Not fit for their purpose
    Misdescribed (not what they are supposed to be)

You must be able to prove that the fault was present when the goods were sold. The burden of proof is on the consumer.

Even if you have used the goods a few times, you are probably still entitled to a refund. However, if you have had some use from the goods, the trader may make a reduction from the original price when refunding the money.

If you have not had a reasonable opportunity to check the goods, you could possibly be entitled to a refund if you complain at a later date.

I was referring to this, since the 31st March 2003, the Sale and Supply of Goods to Consumers Regulations give you parallel or alternate rights. Instead of a refund, you may choose to ask for a replacement or a repair. Goods which do not conform to the contract within the six months after they were delivered are presumed to have been faulty when you got them. In these cases, you do not have to prove the fault was present when the goods were sold. Instead, the trader must prove that the fault was not present when the goods were sold. The burden of proof is on the trader.
    If a repair or replacement is not available or turns out to be unsuitable, you could then ask for a refund..

29. jambooboo

jambooboo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Think I'll be having one of these. Was gonna get the Digifusion FRVT 200 or a Toppy at a stretch but at £100 I'd be stupid not to get one of these.

I'm expecting a mad rush when doors open at Aldi though.

30. m0nk3y

m0nk3y

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks jambooboo, at last someone who gets the point of this thread !!