ALDI 40" HD LCD TV with 3yr warrenty - recommend?...

most lcds on the market have a samsung panel, they are the largest manufacturer, looks like it contains lg compoments, no suprise there, but that set is made by Tevion,
You will only get whta you paid for.

# Fully HD Ready LCD TV with HDMI interface - no loss of picture or sound
# 1366 × 768 pixel resolution

That not Full HD it's a 720P panel not a 1080P panel.

1080p is UHD, 1080i or 720 p is HD

My 32" ALDI TV was originally from Medion. The Medion Germany website has a 40" LCD-TV panel that looks like the one ALDI are offering.

To see it, visit https://www.medionshop.de/ and navigate down the left hand side to "TV -> Plasma & LCD TV"; it looks to be the first one shown, listed at €1299 which is about £885; ALDI will probably have it a bit cheaper, so maybe £799?

Dual tuners are nice; maybe someone with better German than me can figure out whether it will do picture-beside-picture instead of just picture-in-picture.

Eddy

Just checked out the 'more information' help line and was told:

1. Picture in picture is restricted to a 50:50 split screen. So when the advert says multiple picture choice, it should say you have 2 choices (3 if you include turning it off)
2. The two onboard tuners are quote 'digital-analogue' which the guy explained as being analogue but built in with direct digital connection. It does not have freeview. As I live in the first region to go digital, a big issue for me.
3. It does have a PC input socket, SCARTs, composite etc.
4. No price yet, he suggested that it’s a marketing ploy to get interest in the product.
5. The speakers do not detach, they are built into the silver bit at the bottom of the screen.

Still confused !

Its going to be £849.99 which is an utter bargain, especially when you consider it will also come with wall bracket.

Thing thats putting me off is the recent problems with their 42" plasma and I've no idea what the quality is going to be like.

But at this price, its seriously tempting.

£849 eh? well, I asked the manger down our local tonight and he said, and I quote....."They are being (head office) cagey over the price but i have it on good authority they are going to price the set at such a low level it will create a bit of a storm......I've just recieved two pricing stickers (to paste over the large in-store posters) for...£649".

That's what the man said, so if it's true you heard it here first! :)

hi irv
if its 650 that is amazing but i cant see it as i have a brochure from the local store saying it is 869 as the poster above you said

£849 i mean

Is it HD Ready - ie compatible with xbox360 and Sky HD???

sorry, my local manager is obviously dyslexic! £649 indeed! even so, £849 (confirmed) is a steal! shame I bought a Sharp 32" LCD yesterday huh? (for £250 less) ;)

irv said:
sorry, my local manager is obviously dyslexic! £649 indeed! even so, £849 (confirmed) is a steal! shame I bought a Sharp 32" LCD yesterday huh? (for £250 less) ;)

Shame at £649 even I would have been Queueing outside my local Aldi store before it opened but at £200 more no -I can definitely get a good brand 32" at below that price and I will bet I can do the same next Jan for a 37" if not a 40". Also no integrated DTT (Freeview ) Tuner??

"Queueing" a word with one of the longest sequence of vowels in the english language!

Apparently Currys are offering a viewsonic one at the same price (without the bracket though). How do they compare?

the_sanguine said:
Apparently Currys are offering a viewsonic one at the same price (without the bracket though). How do they compare?

Nope its £50 more and only with a "Currys" warranty. (i.e. about one month otherwise "we have never heard of the consumer protection act- take us to court if you can afford it!")

if anyone has any questions regarding this set fire away as im sitting next to one at the minute with manual mount and all accessories. Havn't had an lcd before so cant compare it to any of the competition but looks a cracking set for the price, but watch out mines going back tomorrow as its got a dead red pixel (poor aldi wish they could get their tv's sorted out).

sem1604

OK you asked for the questions lol

is the warranty collect and return?
what like is the picture? and is freeview integrated?
are the brackets any good?
have you set it up to use media centre if so is it any good and what connectors does it actually have?

cheers for this mate

on site with a uk firm called
key electronics, county durham

picture to me looks ace tried xbox(original) via vga, dvd via component and media player (streaming hdtv movies) via hdmi oh and freeview (not built in) - all looked excellent but obviously showing different quality - depending on source.

tevion universal tilting mount still in box (not opening till tv swapped tomorrow hopefully)

connectors are as follows
scart x2
hdmi x2

svhs x1
vga x1
composite x1
component x1

so all in all - i think its a cracking set - but if i cannot get a one without a dead pixel or another fault thats it for aldi/tevion for me (swapped for the faulty 42" plasma)

sem1604

sem1604 said:
if anyone has any questions regarding this set fire away as im sitting next to one at the minute with manual mount and all accessories. Havn't had an lcd before so cant compare it to any of the competition but looks a cracking set for the price, but watch out mines going back tomorrow as its got a dead red pixel (poor aldi wish they could get their tv's sorted out).

sem1604

I thought they was only in ALDi 7th September ?:confused:

or if youve had it trying to sort out a tevion 42" plasma, stocks already in place in the stores.

just to clarify
i thought they were only for sale from the 7th?

yes available from thursday 7th sept

the price is now on the website at £849.

they also have a hdmi divx upscaling dvd player at a bargain price of £39

You have to pay with cash though.:( Don't have that sort of cash spare..

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom