Aldi 160GB DVD/HDD recorder £229.99

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by bargepole, Aug 26, 2005.

Tags:
  1. bargepole

bargepole
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Here's the link

http://uk.aldi.com/index.html

due in aldi 1st sept.

Seems well equipped, component, progressive scan, DVD recorder etc.

Anyone think this is a good deal or are there better buys for similar
    money out there.

I currently have a Humax 8000 40gb.

2. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,075
    No digital tuner. No use. It's just yer basic HDD-DVD recorder of which there are many. It most certainly isn't any kind of alternative to the Humax.

3. bargepole

bargepole
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Missed that one..............you'd think with the spec it's got it would have a digital tuner.

In fact I assumed all HDD recorders had digital tuners. To quote from Which Online:-

"Different models of PVR work with either Sky digital satellite TV or Freeview (digital TV through your aerial). " No mention of analogue tuners there then.

So just to put me right on this matter you can buy DVD/HDD recorders with
    either analogue or digital tuners built in (or even no tuner at all?)

4. jeromeof

jeromeof
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This looks like a pretty good deal to me.

Comparing it to a Freeview SAT-PVR is a bit unfair, as it is a DVD-Recorder PVR.

It has some good features:
    DVD+R(W) Recorder
    Timeshift with 160 GB
    Divx Support
    Component output
    DV-IN

Looks to me like I could finally replace the old video recorder and divx dvd player with this one device. :)

Does anyone have any idea what the model number is as I can't seem to find out information about this specific model? From the picture it looks different to the other Tevion models out there. I don't thinks its a DRW-1000 or DRW-8005 as the specs don't match. Is there anyone who has other information about this model? :lease:

Thanks

Jerome

5. awhb

awhb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Very few HDD/DVD recorders today have Freeview (i.e. "digital") tuners although some are due to be released, e.g. from Sony and Hitachi, they tend to be the higher-spec (and price!) models.

Pioneer is steadfastly refusing to acknowledge Freeview with even its latest 'x33 recorder models all still being analogue!

6. ROYOLD

ROYOLD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +297
    Have the Aldi next weeks flyer and nowhere does the Tevion 160GB DVD/HDD claim to have Freeview tuner - it doesn't mention any tuners, in fact. Seems to be just a DVD recordefr with 160GB hard drive. It has Videoplus and PDC for easy recording which would indicate an analogue tuner. It only supports DVD+R/RW in common with most of the Aldi previous models. So it isn't multiformat which is a restriction for a start. Records up to
    6 hours on a DVD (most of the competition are 8 hours) and 204 hours on the HDD.
    No mention of Flexible recording mode. No - I wouldn't buy this.

7. MKPatrick

MKPatrick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Have you seen the quality of the 8 or 6 hours modes on sinlge layer DVD recorders? They are best avoided as they are half resolution and low bitrate. It's only the HQ (1hr) and SP (2hrs) qualities that are ever worth using with these devices anyway.

8. MKPatrick

MKPatrick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    "no use" is a bit unfair. It's a handy item for recording from a Sky box (using the personal planner), editing and then dumping to DVD+R. Sure it means a further analogue to digital transcode, but that never hurt Tivo's in the UK.

Seems quite a well specified box for the money. Some of the cheaper DVDR/HDD combos don't ffer chase play on the external AV input though so this would be something to watch for.

It isn't going to replace a Freeview PVR, but I'm sure there are folk who would mak use of it (I'm tempted myself)

9. ROYOLD

ROYOLD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +297
    For those people considering this the flyer states - Also includes :-
    Timeshift function - play & record simultaneously and pause live TV :
    DVD+R/+RW recorder:
    MP3-CD/JPEG compatible:
    Convenient DVD edit functions (divide or delete chapters):
    One touch recording:
    Timer recording:
    Videoplus and PDC for easy recording - Integrated AC3 Dolby digital decoder - Sound digital out :
    PAL/NTSC Compatible - Nicam stereo - On Screen Display :
    Playback ( DVD, DVD+R, DVD+RW, DVD-R, DVD-RW, CD-R, CD-RW, JPEG, DIVx, Audio-CD, MP3-CD):
    DIVX 3, 4, 5 and MPEG4 compatibility :
    Records up to 6 hours per DVD and 204 hours on the HDD:
    Sockets (S-video in & out, audio/video in & out (RCA), component out (RCA), Digital audio out (coaxial/optical),
    2 x Euro Scart sockets, DV in (IEEE-1394/Firewire):
    Includes remote control and one blank DVD+RW:
    Progressive scan :

10. ROYOLD

ROYOLD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +297

My Panasonic E85 gives excellent quality using the LP (4 hours setting) but it has been mentioned on this forum several times that Panasonics have the best quality of all the dvd recorders. Perhaps why they achieve the highest sales figures.

11. LV426

LV426

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,075
    Indeed. The issue is one of unclear terminology. The term PVR is not usually used for this type of device. This is a DVD recorder with Hard Drive. (Don't blameme, it isn't my doing).

It's nigh on impossible to buy a "PVR" with an analog tuner. This term, for the most part, means "Digital TV receiver with HDD for recording digital TV only".

HDD-DVD recorders with Digital Tuners are almost as rare as Rocking Horse dung. You can buy, at present, two models of DVD recorder with Freeview onboard. There's a Sony (with no HDD) and a Panasonic (with a HDD). Both have only one digital tuner.

I've never seen a HDD-DVD with no tuner. Most, as I say, have an analog one.

12. freestyling

freestyling

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Forgive my possible ignorance, but surely if a freeview set-top box with twin-tuners was attached then the device would essentially work as if it were an as yet non existent hdd/dvd recording digital twin-tuner box?

13. LV426

LV426

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,075
    Such a HDD-DVD machine will only have one input. So, getting it to record two things at once (which a twin tuner PVR could do) will not be possible.

There are no twin tuner Freeview boxes; only PVRs. You'd need to buy 2 single tuner boxes and connect them up, somehow. And use one for recording, and one for watching.

There will be limited or no integration; you could not, say, set a timer in just one place; you'd have to do it on both machines (Freeview box to turn on and tune in; recorder to start recording).

And, the interface between the Freeview box and the recorder wuill be an analog one (RGB if you're lucky). The conversion from digital (broadcast) to analog, and then back to digital (for HDD or DVD recording) will degrade the signal somewhat.

Whereas an integrated HDD-DVD-DVB box would be able to keep the signal wholly in the digital domain, right up to playback from the recorded DVD.

14. Cyril

Cyril

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    You can have integration with 2 TiVos if you use a TiVoweb add-on.
    Does any other PVR or DVR or DVD recorder in the UK allow this?

15. freestyling

freestyling

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers for that, I guess I'll just have to play the waiting game :(

16. geardownandlock

geardownandlock

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am new to HDD PVR type technologies, however have seen the aldi flyer for the Tevion and want to replace my old VHS recorder and DVD player. I have a SKY box and an oldish Sony TV. With all the discussion on this thread, I am unclear - if I buy this aldi product and replace the VHS recorder and DVD player, can I then record on the Tevion from both terrestial and satellite programmes and play them back on the Sony TV? As the Tevion doesn't have a digital tuner, I assume my SKY box is the tuner. Also, is £230 a good price for this product or are their better products around for the price?

17. LV426

LV426

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,075
    if I buy this aldi product and replace the VHS recorder and DVD player, can I then record on the Tevion from both terrestial and satellite programmes and play them back on the Sony TV?

Yes. Analog TV via the onboard tuner. $ky using the $ky box and the AV input on the Tevion.

As the Tevion doesn't have a digital tuner, I assume my SKY box is the tuner.

Correct. For unattended recordings, you will have to set timer on the Tevion and (assuming $ky has this feature) on the $ky box, too.

Also, is £230 a good price for this product or are their better products around for the price?

It's OK-ish. There are two advatages you might get from another product, though:

1: This machine records on DVD+R/RW. Its generally considered that the competing DVD-R/RW format enjoys slightly better playback compatibilty with other DVD players and recorders. So choosing a - (minus) machine may be an advantage.

2: Some newer machines (notably Pioneer, there may be others) have two features that, together, make the business of unattended recording a bit sweeter.

GuidePlus is a programme guide within the HDD-DVD machine.

And such machines have an infrared controller that can be used to power on, and select channels, on a separate set top box.

In other words, you can use the EPG to choose what you want to record, and the HDD-DVD does the rest, including powering on, and selecting channel, on the $ky box.

18. geardownandlock

geardownandlock

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the very quick response! You mention newer Pioneer machines - do you mean the 433 or the 530? The 530 has a 160GB HDD, the 433 an 80 GB so I guess the comparison with the aldi tevion is the 533.

Which would you recommend in preference to the aldi?

19. LV426

LV426

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,075
    Seemingly (from the Pioneer Website) Guide+ and STB control appears on the 530, but not on the 433. That alone would make me choose the 530. It does also have the larger HDD but IMO that's not really essential (keep it tidy, copy to DVD anything you want to keep).

20. scotty2005

scotty2005
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I haven't used this technology before and have a couple of questions:

1. Will you be able to view different channels while recording?

2. If you aren't willing to go above £229 - is this the best around for the price or are there others with more features in a similar price range?

3. Other than the fact that you can play/record DVD's and it has a bigger HD what advantages does this have over Sky+?

4. The spec says it has VideoPlus and PDC for easy recording.. You mention GuidePlus, is this better/worse - what difference is there?

Thanks!

21. cts

cts

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the aldi tevion dvd-hdd recorder has two scarts... not that you will be able to record HDD from one and DVD from other simultaneously....

-cts

22. LV426

LV426

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,075
    1: Depends on the number of "tuners" for the given source you have. For example, if you have one $ky box, and it's being used for a recording, then that's it fully used. You can't watch another $ky channel. Because one box can only pick up one at a time.

But, HDD-DVD machines have analog tuners (usable for Ch1...5). If the HDD-DVD is recording from this tuner, then any other tuner you may have (eg your TV, a $ky box) is free for you to do with what you will.

2: I can't comment.

3: None. Don't consider one of these unless you want to
    (a) record DVDs or
    (b) record onto the HDD (or DVD) from other sources (like VHS).

4: No comparison. Guide plus is an electronic programme guide, i.e. it lists what's on and when. And you can select a programme, from this list, and set a timer for it. The Pioneer 530 also has the ability to control (i.e. turn on and off and select channel) a set top box ($ky, Freeview) by Infra Red (mimics the supplied remote control) so you can use GuidePlus to set timer in the HDD-DVD (or do it manually) and then forget about it. No need to programme the Set Top Box as well.

23. Soldar

Soldar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Does anyone know if this HDD-DVD is multi-region?

24. ROYOLD

ROYOLD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +297
    It isn't mentioned that it is multi-region in the specs and I don't believe that Aldi have sold any M/R stuff previously so presumably the answer is no.

25. snow-munki

snow-munki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    on offer tomorrow guys

Really not sure to get it or not... bonus for me is :

records dvd's
    plays divx
    has built in HDD

all in one unit... but £230 is a lot of money for me at the same time...

26. snow-munki

snow-munki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    ah ha, just noticed, its not clear if it plays xvids though :(

27. gundo

gundo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Why oh why oh why!?! Don't they put Freeview tuners in these products!!! :mad:

Even if it only had one digi-tuner in it I'd be sold on it immediately.

So sadly I'll be sticking with my PaceTwin (call me brave) and sad old JVC SVHS recorder. :rolleyes:

28. snow-munki

snow-munki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    anyone bought one yet then ??

29. jeromeof

jeromeof
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought one in Dublin. I haven't tried it yet. Just read the manual. Looks good, has most of the features that I wanted (obviously no freeview, but since we don't have freeview yet in Ireland this doesn't worry me). It can even copy DiVX's/MP3's/DVD to the internal hard drive, so that will be pretty handy.

Jerome

30. pjb146

pjb146
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    For anyone interested the model number is MD80857