Question Album shown 3 times after using MP3 Tag

RayP

I downloaded a free Hi-Res music sampler from a website and moved the album to my NAS box from my laptop. The problem was each track showed as a separate album- 12 in all - instead of tracks within a single album as is the norm.

I created a new folder on my music server named Hi-Res Sampler and placed it inside a parent folder named Various Artists where I have several ripped CD albums of various music.

Inside Hi-Res Sampler I dragged and dropped the 12 FLAC tracks. I then opened MP3Tag and changed the Album title to Hi-Res Sampler and changed the DiskNumber to 1 so it resembled a normal ripped CD.

I then opened BluOS that controls my BluSound Node 2i streamer and reindexed my music. I chose Albums and scrolled down to H. Instead of one Hi-Res Sampler icon there were three. One is for track 4, another for track 12 and a third for the remainder - 1,2,3,5,6,7,8,9,10 and 11.

I have checked and double-checked all entries using MP3Tag but cannot see why they are being displayed this way. If I login to my NAS box and choose Audio Player the same problem shows there. 3 entries instead of one.

Does anyone have any idea why this has happened and how I can resolve it? Thanks.

TheHighFlyingBirds

Distinguished Member
On mp3tag there are hidden tag boxes, which could cause issues if these dont match. Saying that Ive got a few albums which no matter what I do, I cant get a double disc album to show as a single album.

RayP

I had a look at some of the extra properties available but it didn’t reveal anything untoward. It really is frustrating because I moved the files from my laptop instead of copying them so don’t have any others available to start over again.

I’ll see if the download link is still available. Thanks for trying to help.

RayP

The site is HDTracks.co.uk and after logging in I can download the sampler again. I'll try the operation again tomorrow and report back.

TheHighFlyingBirds

Distinguished Member
Can you not transfer them back to the laptop from the nas? Also maybe worth checking the properties of the files in windows.

Also try removing all tags for all files, there should be an option somewhere to remove all tags. Then start adding tags.

RayP

Yes I could but that wouldn't restore the original tags. I don't want to have to type all the meta data in by hand. Anyway, they're downloaded now so I can start again.

TheHighFlyingBirds

Distinguished Member
Once downloaded, you can add the tag columns to the table I think which should allow you to easily compare the tags. One to consider is the album art, as this is easy to overlook when looking for differences. Good luck.

lowmans100

The way I do this is to number the tracks in both albums as a single album. So if each album has 10 tracks number number the combined album from 1/20 to 20/20.

Then on the Discnumber, tracks 1-10 will be disc 1/2 and 11-20 will be disc 2/2.

RayP

As I type this I have deleted the original FLACs and copied them from my laptop to the NAS box.
I have selected all FLAC files (12) using MP3tag and have made the following global changes to all 12 tracks.
Album Hi-Res Sampler
Album Artist <blank>
Composer <blank>
Disknumber 1

Before doing that I opened Audio Station on my Synology NAS box and it showed 12 albums for the HD-Res samples. That's fine as there were 12 different album titles.

Relaunching Audio Station after the edit still shows 3 albums. However, if I view the folder using Windows Explorer and choose the new column Album ID I can see that two tracks have different Album ID names.

However, Album ID does not appear in MP3tag. So this answers the question as to why I have three entries for a single album. I now need to find some suitable software that can edit metadata for Hi-Res tracks. Any recommends?

RayP

It seems Album/Artist and Album ID share the same metadata. I noticed the two tracks in question had data in Album/Artist and after removing that I now have all 12 tracks showing in a single album.

Hope this might help others. :thumbsup:

RayP

You can add or remove tags in Tools>Options Tag Panel

I've just checked and I cannot see Album ID. I have 11 fields. I have v3.00 dated 23/1/2020. What version do you have? I don't see Album ID in your screenshot.

RayP

If you select one or all the tracks and hit ALT-T an 'extended tags' window will come up with all the tags stored in the file
Thanks. Next time I need to work on an album I’ll try that.

TheHighFlyingBirds

Distinguished Member
The way I do this is to number the tracks in both albums as a single album. So if each album has 10 tracks number number the combined album from 1/20 to 20/20.

Then on the Discnumber, tracks 1-10 will be disc 1/2 and 11-20 will be disc 2/2.
I never know whats best, have a double album as 2 albums or 1. I have done your suggested method before and Im sure i tried it on my problematic album and it still didnt work.

RayP

I never know whats best, have a double album as 2 albums or 1. I have done your suggested method before and Im sure i tried it on my problematic album and it still didnt work.
The only reason for multiple CDs is because not all the tracks can fit on one. No limitation exists when on a NAS box so I’d be inclined to merge two CDs into a single album.

The latest video from AVForums

Paramount + UK launch: Halo, Star Trek and Beavis, and all the latest 4K + Movie/TV News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom