Album art work for films/DVD's + Help with PS3MediaStreamer ?

Discussion in 'Playstation Forums' started by jungle650, Jun 11, 2009.

1. jungle650

jungle650
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi there,

I wonder if you can help me and make sure I am going in the right direction before I start a mamonth task. I have looked through a number of posts but I'm struggling to find answers to a few different questions that I have. I apologise if these have already been asked and answered but I couldnt find any definitive answers. The sticky on PS3 media was good but vast in length !

I have taken the plunge and bought a new external hard-drive which I intend to rip all of my DVD collection to. At the end of the process I would like to be able to flick through the DVD collection viewing the album art work ( like you do on somthing like an Apple Iphone or Windows Media Centre ) to be able to choose and view a film with ease that will be wife / child friendly to use.

My questions start here ( there are a few.. sorry )

1) IS THIS POSSIBLE OR AM I ASKING TOO MUCH ?- Is this possible using the PS3 linked direct to an external hard drive ( fat32 ) or do I need to stream all of the information to it using TVersity or PS3Media Streamer to get the look that I am after and get around any file size issues which might arise ( 4GB limits ) ?

2) WHAT FORMAT TO RIP TO ?- There are so many different formats I was starting to get a bit lost, so I thought I would go back to the beginning. As I would like to keep the DVD's in their original form (ie best picture and sound quality possible) without compression I will be using DVDShrink or somthing similar which will allow me to extract the VTS file/VOB file of just the film in one chunk ( not the extras ) I have seen under preferences in DVD Shrink that you can save as one VOB file.

Is this the best / easiest method of ripping a DVD and keeping it for future reference or should I convert to another format ( I presume any conversions will be at a loss of quality ? ) - If I stay with the VOB file format, should I leave the VOB file as one chunk or should I create smaller seperate ones per film .. if so will the PS3 play them automatically in sequence ? ( I presume the only reason to split them would be due to FAT 32 issues if you had a hard drive connected directly to the PS3 - correct ? )

3) HOW TO SAVE FILE NAMES - I have renamed each VOB file to the title of the film - Is this the correct method to use, or should I create a new folder for each film and keep the VTS file in its original format name and just re- name correctly the folder ?

4) MOST IMPORTANT - ALBUM ART - How do I obtain Album art for DVD's - I thought I read somewhere that PS3Media Streamer obtains all of the album art and "IMDB" film information automatically, but I have ripped one film as a test saved to my harddrive on the PC and tried to stream and cannot seem to get it to upload this information ? Is there a " How to " anywhere or can someone point me easily in the right direction ? - Good news the film plays great just no artwork or info from "IMDB" ?

5) SUBTITLES - How do you keep the subtitles of films and only view them when needed ? - Is this possible using the PS3 as the player - I can see it has a " display subtitles option " when you press the triangle button when viewing a film ?

Basically I am at a bit of a loss of where to start, I have the motivation and the idea but lack the knowledge !

Thankyou so much in advance.

Regds
    Jungle.

2. Uridium

Uridium

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,855
    Answers above. Any more questions feel free to fire away.

Cover art doesn't look wonderful but better than just a plain icon or video thumbnail i think

the sticky is very good (Broken made a top notch post there) but PS3 streaming has moved on since it was written and despite a few updates it really does need quite a few updates now. One day some of us will get round to getting it updated .

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 11, 2009
  3. Br0ken

Br0ken

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,314
    Hehe, one day the guide will get updated, I'm still holding the torch out waiting for some one to take it :) Its gotta be either your or Axum mate!

4. jungle650

jungle650
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thankyou for the swift reply,

Just to clarify regarding art work.

1) I can either create a new folder for each film and save the VOB file into it, along with the cover art.jpeg, which the PS3 will show as per your picture.

or

2) I can create all of the VOBS in one large folder and as long as the cover art jpeg is named the same as the film the PS3 Media or PS3 will recognise its cover art and place it in the appropriate place ?

Is this correct ?

3) Where is the best place to obtain the cover art and how do I do this ?

Thankyou
    Rgds
    Jungle

5. Uridium

Uridium

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,855
    Either method will work as long as you have the jpeg in the same folder as the video. I think every video in it's own folder will be a little cumbersome with the extra 'click' on the ps3 to view them. Remember that you won't get cover art on the PS3 for folders. The cover art is only displayed at the lowest folder level when you get to the video file.

One thing that catches a lot of people out is the PS3 XMB is limited to a folder depth of 7. Once you reach 7 folders deep it will not go any further so make sure the folder structure on the PC is no more than 7 deep.

PS3 Media Server also has an option in the navigation/shares settings tab that allows you to select an 'Alternative videos cover art folder' if you use this option you can actually put all your cover art in a folder on it's own away from your movies.

Also if you have a whole series of videos from say a season of ripped TV shows you can drop a jpeg in this folder named "folder.jpg" and this will dispaly the same image for all videos in the folder. quite handy.

I get my box art by simply doing a googe image search for the name of the movie follwed by "DVD" or "BluRay".

e.g. "Transformers dvd" or "Transformers Bluray" right click the image result and save as the correct filename in the same folder as your movie.

Enable the 'Media library' feature in PS3MS if you are using cover art as this will create a small database on the PC enabling PS3MS to cache the cover art images making browsing on the PS3 much faster. Even if you don't navigate using the media library folder on the PS3 browsing through manually added folders (the method i use) is still faster with the media libray option enabled.

If you want to make it really wife and Kids friendly consider a Logitech Harmony remote with a PS3 IR or Bluetooth adaptor. Using a "Watch PS3" activity my 6yr old can easily watch her movies through the PS3 using a single remote as just pressing the one button turns everything on and sets the correct inputs etc.. The Harmony then fully controls navigation through the PS3 XMB and PS3MS folder structure.

Even the wife can use it!

Last edited: Jun 12, 2009
  6. jungle650

jungle650
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Guys

I am making good progress thanks to your assistance and simple guidance. The cover art is very easy to find on Google images and the Vob ripping takes about 4-5 mins a film, so great !

However I have stumbled on a couple of probs which I'm sure you will have dealt with before .

1) DVD Shrink does not seem to want to rip Disney Films - What is another good ripper which will do this task ? ( Free if poss if not I do not mind purchasing one )

2) I have some films where the first language is different to English, however English is on there and plays when in a standard DVD player, when I rip them using DVD Shrink even though I just tick the english option I get the foreign language.. ( its funny to watch but not what I want ! ) What am I doing wrong ? Should I use a different program to rip these particular films ?

Thankyou so much
    Rgds
    Jungle

7. Uridium

Uridium

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,855
    Maybe try DVDDecrypter or DVDFab.

8. jungle650

jungle650
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Picked up DVDFAB yesterday, this works a treat for ripping Disney films.

I used DVDFAB to pull out the main title of the Disney films then use DVD Shrink to creat the single VOB. ( DVD FAB does not seem to create just one VOB - Maybe Im doing somthing wrong ? )

Two last questions...

1) Are there any free programs that you would recommend to join VOB files together, I have been trying to rip all of our holiday footage from DVD's we created over the years and some of them have become corrupted, I cant use DVDFAB or DVD Shrink. I can however open the disc and copy some of the VOB's ( not all which is a shame ) but how do I join them together ?

2) Can you recommend any programs for extracting the damaged DVD data from our holiday footage DVD's ?

Thankyou
    Rgds
    Jungle

9. Uridium

Uridium

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,855
    Maybe try ConvertXtoDVD and output to an ISO rather than burn as PS3MS will stream ISO's.

I've used this app many many times for combining multiple AVI's and burning to DVD or ISO but haven't tried it with multiple Vob's. Think it may be worth a try though.

Ther eis a free trial version that although will leave a water mark should be good enough to prove the concept before buying. http://www.vso-soft.fr/

10. jungle650

jungle650
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi there,

I have been trying to sort out the subtitles feature from VOB files using the " Subrip " program.

I can rip the vob and create a " SRM " file which I name change to the same name as the movie, however I cant seem to get the PS3 to recognise that there are subtitles.

Please can someone advise where I am going wrong and if poss give a simple guide , Do I need to change anything in the set up of the PS3 Media Server as well ?

Thankyou very much

Rgds
    Jungle

11. jungle650

jungle650
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Oh Ps. I found a great freeware program for joining VOB files called

joinvobfiles

simples

Thx

12. Uridium

Uridium

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,855
    You sure it's not outputting as an SRT file? never heard of an SRM file. I'm pretty sure Subrip creates SRT's by default.

You have two options. Place the Subtitle (named the same as the movie) into the same folder as the movie. Open PS3 Media Server transcoding settings then under video files engines on left hand side highlight Mencoder then in main pane tick the box at the bottom that says "Autoload *.srt/*.sub subtitles with the same filename". Video should now appear in the list on the PS3 XMB with Mencoder next to it stating external subtitles

This will force a transcode during streaming though so will use more CPU time on your backend PC.

Other option (and the one i use most of the time) is to download this small free app AVIAddXSubs v9.2 and "Burn" the subtitles into the AVI. Just point it to the folder with the AVI and subtitle file, choose an output folder and choose "create subtitled DivX file". It works with .SRT's as well as IDX/Sub files.

The outputted file will have a DivX file extension but works perfectly on the PS3. Justr start the movie stream and press the subtitle button on the PS3 remote (or Triangle\Subtitles with controller) and the Ps3 will display the subs

13. popperton

popperton
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    2) WHAT FORMAT TO RIP TO ?- There are so many different formats I was starting to get a bit lost, so I thought I would go back to the beginning. As I would like to keep the DVD's in their original form (ie best picture and sound quality possible) without compression I will be using DVDShrink or somthing similar which will allow me to extract the VTS file/VOB file of just the film in one chunk ( not the extras ) I have seen under preferences in DVD Shrink that you can save as one VOB file.

I use the "One Chunk" vob method with DVD Shrink (Main movie and best soundtrack). PS3 plays these fine.

Does this mean it rips to a single vob file? I cant see anywhere in dvd shrink or dvd decrypter to do this.

14. Uridium

Uridium

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,855

Yes. It's in DVDShrink options. along the lines of....."Don't split into 1Gb chunks"

15. popperton

popperton
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    gotcha. thanks. I think the problem i had was that i was trying to rip the whole dvd to a single vob. i re read your post and realised that you only rip the main movie.