ALBA RDVD1002 - Budget DVD Recorder - Review

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by richwill, Sep 12, 2005.

1. richwill

richwill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I paid £79.99 for this yesterday @ Tesco more as an experiment to see what I'd actually get for my money as opposed to the more expensive end of the market.

My reason for doing this is to enable me to get freeview recordings from my Sagem 7280T Hard Disk Recorder (review in the PVR section). I had no real expectations other than the ability to record dvd's.

Packaging:
    boxed as expected but then everything inside was wrapped in plastic bags including the manuals (yes there's two of them) and all the cables. It's only a minor plus but if a manufacturer packages its products with some care it could possibly an indication as to how the rest of the system may work.

Contents:
    the unit came with everything you could think of including both a quick start and proper manual (the sagem unit came with a fold out instruction sheet which was woefully inadequate). Cables included 1 x RF lead, 1 x SCART, 1 x component video cable,1 x AV cables. the remote had batteries and a blank +R/W disk.

Setup:
    there are 6 pages in the manual designed to show various setup configurations, the quick start sheet has a setup to coincide with connecting to a sky box (this could be used to connect to a cable box or freeview system too). Switching the unit on (and without at this time reading the manual(yes i know i should really do it but i'm too lazy)). Setting the time is just a matter of pressing the timer button and following the on screen display. Infact the menu options are very straightforward and there is a button for each menu item such as video options, recording options etc.

The unit has front av ports (hidden behind a small flap) and plenty of connections on the back. The tuner found the standard programmes without any hassle and the ability exists to swap channels around (this is cumbersome but can be done and may well be easier if i read the manual).

Useage:

Playback is pretty straightforward. This unit will play both + and - formats, Audio and MP3 disks. It will ONLY record in + format on both R and RW disks. Selection of recording quality can be done either within a menu or by pressing a button on the remote it obviously goes from HQ (60min/dvd) to SLP (approx 6hrs).

I'll let you know what the recording quality is like.

First impressions: for approx £80.00 it does everything it says on the tin. It will be interesting to see if i require customer services and if the unit is capable of taking firmware upgrades but if you're intending to replace a video recorder for the price you can't go far wrong. Tesco operate a 28 day no quibble returns policy (just keep the receipt).

If you've any questions etc just ask

2. thelordmagus

thelordmagus
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I'm surprised it comes with component cables, that's unusual. Shame it doesn't play any divx, I might have bought it, since I'm looking for an inexpensive all-in-one box. Only two quality settings is a bit low though... an intermediate quality setting would have been welcome (like for a 2 hour movie for instance), but hey, it's 80 quid! :devil:

3. richwill

richwill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    sorry, I obviously didn't make myself clear. The quality settings are a range and NOT just two. There is HQ, SP, LP, SLP though i tend to stick to SP which gives approx 2hrs / dvd. I've not tested divx but it doesn't say it will play it on the box. Like I said, for 80 quid i'm not complaining.

I've now ripped 2 movies from my freeview pvr box with great picture and sound quality.

regards

4. KDH

KDH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    2 scarts? RGB capable? Loop through scart on standby?

5. thelordmagus

thelordmagus
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Oh, a range of 5 settings is better indeed. Thanks for the clarification :thumbsup:

6. w3dal

w3dal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +549
    Could i connect this to my Sky box and record off that???

There has been a couple of times when i have wanted to record off Sky. Cant get Sky+ as we are in a communal setup in the flats.

Thanks

Dal

7. richwill

richwill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I believe it is RGB Capable and does indeed allow loopthrough when the unit is on standby.

regards

8. whatdoiknow

whatdoiknow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have you tried playing any DVD's you have created on the Alba in any other players.

Thanks,

Martin

9. 1973

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i bought this dvd recorder 13.09, connected through set top box but find picture quality really poor when viewing through recorder. picture is perfect viewing through set top box. presumably this will translate through to any recordings i make? also i cannot seem to view digital channels via the recorder. i am no technophile, wots going on?

10. SystemBlack

SystemBlack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Take it back and get the PYE 645 from ASDA for £99.95. On the point of component cables, I think you may find it's a composite video cable (if there's only one) and not componenet (which is 3 cables)

11. richwill

richwill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    the only thing i can think of off hand is that the video out settings don't match. I've set both mine to PAL and NOT RGB SCART. The picture quality both from freeview and the dvd recordings are fine.

rgds

12. richwill

richwill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    there actually both types.. there are component cables YCR or whatever it is and a standard RCA yellow/red/white set.

rgds

13. Cablechap

Cablechap

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hi Rich,

Good info on your buy.

Is Tesco the only outlet for this machine, rdvd1002, as I cannot find it anywhere? I 've even tried a few Tescos with no success. Which one did you get it from?

The only models I can find are rdvd1000 and rdvd1001 and I don't think they have I-Link.

Eventually, when the Sony 910 becomes a little cheaper I may take the plunge, but for now the Alba looks fine for archiving from my Humax 8000T, copying my Digital camcorder tapes, and acting as a backup system with my Nokia 221T stb. It definately records RGB right?

Otherwise it looks like the Samsung dvdr122, a bit dear as a temp measure.

Please advise,

Cheers,

Cablechap

14. richwill

richwill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi Cablechap

I bought this from Tesco in Northampton. It may only be in their EXTRA stores? it's definitely RDVD1002 (I have the manual infront of me now). There is NO i-Link connection on this system but there are front mounted AV ports. I'll quote from the manual about connections

pg 15 Connecting to a TV you can use the existing tv aerial, RCA AV cable (Supplied, this is the white,yellow and red cable) or a SCART from the SCART OUT port.

pg 16 connecting to a sky box use the SCART from the Sky box to the dvd recorder

pg 17 S-Video Cable. (also supplied)

pg 18 component video cable (Red, Green, Blue again, supplied) blue goes to the Cr port, Green goes to the Y port and Red goes to the Cb port.

I bought this with the intention of seeing if i liked it. If i didn't then i've got 28 days with no quibble to return it. For 80.00 it's been fine. I've connected my Sagem Freeview Recorder and transferred numerous copies to the +R/RW format disk (also supplied) it's been absolutely fine.

I hope this answers the questions. If you've any more just shout

regards

Rich

15. Cablechap

Cablechap

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Thanks Rich,

The Telford store where I live is an Extra version.

Never-the-less, it looks like you cannot have everything from a £80-90 temp machine.
    I looked at the Cyberhome 1600 in Asda, it had I-Link at the front but recorded in S-Video on Scart at the back, according to the manual.

Looks like the Samsung 120 (not 122) after all for all my immediate needs...

Cheers,

Cablechap

16. 1973

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for that. the picture quality has improved but still no digital channels available.?. :confused:

17. KDH

KDH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  18. gordon115

gordon115

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Will I be able to put my camcorder tapas onto DVD using this recorder by using the av leads supplied with the camcorder. Also my digital camera comes with an av leadweill I be able to record them as I flick through the pictures?

19. vinmin

vinmin
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No one has mentioned whether it is multi region out of the box as most alba players are!

Anyone has used other region dvd's?

thanks for your help

vin

20. KDH

KDH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Copied from another site.........

REGION FREE HACK

OPEN DISK TRAY, MAKE SURE EMPTY
    CLOSE DISK TRAY
    PRESS TV/DVDR
    PRESS RETURN
    PRESS DISPLAY
    ENTER 8880

MESSAGE APPEARS ON SCREEN SAYING REGION-FREE!

21. xfatcat

xfatcat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you buy it from Argos at the moment you get a £5 voucher (usable by August 2006) so its even cheaper. :thumbsup:

22. dhw150

dhw150

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    "Playback is pretty straightforward. This unit will play both + and - formats, Audio and MP3 disks."

So it plays Jukebox MP3 CD's and MP3 DVD's ?

Whats the screen layout like ?

23. paulthompson197

paulthompson197

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :lease: My concern is: I have two scarts at the back of my TV, and they are both (I'm pretty sure) inputs. Presumably, if I connected this DVD recorder into AV2 (where I have my current cheapo player) it will play DVDs on my TV; but how do I get it to output the TV back on to the DVD recorder for recording?

24. scragend

scragend
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Isn't it a case of recording the signal before it reaches the TV? For example, if you're recording analogue TV you plug the aerial into the DVD recorder and then pass through to the TV, either via RF or SCART? If you're recording Sky, you connect SCART from Sky box to DVD recorder then from recorder to TV?

If this is complete rubbish someone please correct me... :confused:

25. KDH

KDH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  26. ad47uk

ad47uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Sainsburys and Argos also sell this machine.
    Looking at the reviews, it seems like the Alba have the same guts as my old Goodmans DVD recorder. if it have, then I would not touch it with a bargepole, no matter how cheap it is.

27. scott26985

scott26985
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm looking to replace my JVC VCR/DVD Recorder (bit of junk, broken down twice and JVC and the lot a bought it off are beeing diffecult over the one year warinty, its just 8-9 months old!!!)

I just need something for recording Eastenders off my freeview box onto DVDs. The Alba RDVD1002 DVD recorder seems like the right thing for the job (Im not paying 100s after that rubbish JVC thing).

Does the unit have a timer?

Could I conect a VCR up to it so I could copy things I have taped on VHS onto DVD?

THANKS.

28. bazz7777777

bazz7777777

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i have brought one the other day and yes you can record things off vhs onto dvd(i recorded my wedding video onto dvd, much to the delight of my wife), im no expert but for the money i think its great and easy to set up it seems like a good piece of hardware

29. paulthompson197

paulthompson197

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I did the same, Baz! It's great because I split my wedding into four episodes, just by pausing the video and pressing stop on the recorder at intervals; then restarting the video and recorder simultaneously...I like the way you can choose the section you want off the menu, which shows you the first frame of each section. My wife thought I was the dogs.

So easy to do: just connect a scart from your video scart out (if there's only one, it'll be that one) to the scart in of the alba DVD recorder. Switch the source on your alba to "scart" and you will be able to view/play your video on the telly; and just press record on the alba remote to record. Easy!

Yes. Scrag, I was being dense! That's what I did with my old video recorder, and what I'm doing now with the alba...I forgot the alba is replacing the video recorder as opposed to the DVD player.

30. gordon115

gordon115

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I've just boughtone and my only gripe is the scart signal.
    Even when the Alba is on standby there is a signal sent up the scart lead, so when you put on the TV, the av channel the Alba is connected to comes on. Then it's a case of having to find the TV remote to put on the "normal" channels. A bit of a pain really.
    I've checked the manual and you can't turn the scart signal off,even when the Alba is in standby.And if you cut the power from the socket you lose the ariel signal...