Alba DVD103

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Zone, Jun 24, 2001.

1. Zone

Zone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,459
    Hi Guys
    I'm new to all this stuff, have a nicam vid wired up to an old Sony stereo, that type of thing.Cash at the mo is hard to come buy but I want to get into this DVD thing.Reading the reviews on this site the alba103 seems an absolute bargain,Optical & coaxial digital out, scart,multiregion playback,Dolby Digital and DTS etc, anyone got any views on this player or possible alternatives, remember I'm not flush at the moment and Argos are selling this one for £130.Bargain or not?

Cheers
    :confused:

2. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Zone

The Alba 103 is a great bargain machine. I had one and was well impressed with the quality and features, only problem I found was it struggled with <some> of the DVDs I tried to play on it, some were absolutely fine, others would stick part way through a scene or judder a little for a moment or two and then go on and be fine. Whether that's because they were all R1's that tend to have more on them I don't know, I never palyed an R2 disk on it so can't say for sure!

I imagine this sort of problem occurs on most players in this price range so if that's your budget don't let it put you off, you will be impressed by it.

I've just ordered a Tosh 210e with Multi Region mod for £200 to replace the Alba in the hope that it does play everything but there' no guarantee it will. If it was just a question of picture and sound quality I'd have kept it!

Cheers
    OG

3. Zone

Zone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,459
    Thanks Guys, that helps a lot.
    Manythanks

4. Metric

Metric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cyberhome ADM512 from richer sounds. It converts ntsc to pal50 for tape backup too. You can download the firmware upgrade so dont buy the £20 cdr they are selling

M