alba dvd 45

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by johnkay, May 6, 2004.

1. johnkay

johnkay
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My daughter has bought this player from argoes for £30, but she is unable to switch it to standby from the remote, anyone know if this is normal or is there some sequence to turn it off by remote control?

2. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +220
    Sounds like a fault with the button on the remote or possibly a fault with the player itself. Can't imagine any special sequence required. Either press it normally once or hold it in for a few seconds if neither does it, it sounds faulty. Faults on players at this price are quite common. Once you get one that does work it normally has a reasonable lifespan. If it works for a week of reasoable use then it should continue that way for a good time.

3. johnkay

johnkay
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would like to say there is no button on the remote control to switch off ( or standby) of the DVD player, at least none that I can find.
    bonzobanana if there is such a button on the remote please could you help me identify it.
    Thanks.

4. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +220
    Sorry I thought you were talking of a fault. From the sound of it your saying the player has no standby mode by design. Is there like a missing button on the remote at the top left of it where the normal standby button would be? Is there a standby led on the main unit? Presumably you've checked the instructions and all it mentions is turning it on and off. Does it have a auto standby facility? If you leave it for 5 minutes with the tray out while powered does it close the tray itself?

If there really is no standby mode it just goes to show how basic cheap players are becoming. First it was the built in led display disappearing, now even simple standby circuits are being removed. I'm expecting manufacturers to lose the dvd tray at some point and end up with simple flip top lids for loading in the dvds like a cd walkman. I notice in the states they have a lot of cheap dvd players without digital outputs either optical or coaxial. These retail as low as $30 although $40 would be their normal price. Even so $30 is less than £17. Truly incredible the price of players now. Circuit City ain't the cheapest but good for info.

http://www.circuitcity.com/detail.jsp?c=1&b=g&u=c&catoid=-8039&qp=0&oid=78345&m=0

If you go to the 3D image option you can see the generous socketry on the player. Two sets of analogue audio outs though so might be the deluxe model.