Alarm system recomendation

flytrap

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi

Looking for a home alarm system recommendation, just basic bells only (not remote monitored) checked some previous threads and some are over 4 years old. What are the current recommended systems to go for (for a diy install) Scantronic/Texecom?

I am in a bungalow 3 bed with an attached garage so think a wired system is maybe the best and most cost effective option. My other thought is to have a real loud sounder inside the house, I know when the fire alarm sounders at work go off the first thing you want to do is get out of the room - any thoughts on this?

Would appreciate some detailed info. re panels etc.

thanks

Bob

Texecom are pretty good, did one for the old man in his log cabin at the bottom of his garden. A lot of jobs I've been on have an internal sounder for just the reason you say. PIR's and door sensors would give you a reasonable level of cover.

Hope this helps,

Linx

Can't beat CCTV if you ask me! just use the alarm system, buzzer and relay that is included with the setup. Alarms annoy people and they often walk past. With CCTV you can hand a copy of the events to the police.

Damn, phil5366 beat me to it ;)

Also, a lot of CCTV cameras, and IP cams in particular, have motion and PIR sensors built into them so are very well suited to grab images and video of perps - many of them recording either to SD card, a local computer or even offsite (saving you having to buy any extra DVR or NVR).

However I would not recommend only cameras - these need to be used ideally in conjunction with at least a base alarm system.

Indeed some IP cams also have i/o ports so you can link directly with a compatible alarm system to trigger the video just as soon as either a door/window contact is tripped for example.

Pete

I don't think Texecom is easy enough to program for most DIYers. I think the OP would have more luck with Scantronic panels, something like a 9651 would suit what he's talking about.

I've been installing alarms for nearly 15 years and have many hundreds of domestic customers. In all of this time less than a handful of people with my systems have been broken into. My conclusion is that as most domestic burglaries are opportunist, the alarm from a pro installer with real screen printed bell boxes does put the majority off. The stuff from the DIY sheds doesn't.

My personal take of CCTV is that unless you spend a "lot", the quality of picture is usually insufficient to provide good evidence. Certainly would cost a great deal more than a wired system in a bungalow.

My personal take of CCTV is that unless you spend a "lot", the quality of picture is usually insufficient to provide good evidence. Certainly would cost a great deal more than a wired system in a bungalow.

Not necessarily. You'll find CCTV, particularly in the shape of IP cameras, have improved quite a bit and are getting better all the time on video resolution and other fronts so I wouldn't just discount them altogether.

That said, we've certainly found that by advising people on the correct placement of their cameras, under the optimal conditions for the environment they are using it, they are able to get better quality images from their cameras and we've also had customers who have used images from their IP cameras as 'evidence'....so they can work very well if used right.

Pete

Not necessarily. You'll find CCTV, particularly in the shape of IP cameras, have improved quite a bit and are getting better all the time on video resolution and other fronts so I wouldn't just discount them altogether.

That said, we've certainly found that by advising people on the correct placement of their cameras, under the optimal conditions for the environment they are using it, they are able to get better quality images from their cameras and we've also had customers who have used images from their IP cameras as 'evidence'....so they can work very well if used right.

Pete

You pay for what you get, the Eyespy range of camera's are excellent value for money and do what they say on the tin. I have had a good look at this range and in my opinion are well worth the money.

If your budget is higher then a DVR with decent software and four CCDTV Camera's will give you a very sharp picture which can be accessed any where on the planet.

How many peeps do you see with a brand new motor on the drive that has depreciated in value almost over night, and then look to see that there is no alarm/security or CCTV, etc.
I know people that have been a victim of a burglary, it effected them that much that they moved house due to being on edge all the time, or hearing the slightest noise and then springing out of bed only for it to be the neighbours cat.

Pete

I don't disagree that they "can" provide a good picture but like everything you get what you pay for. I just feel that an a small alarm install in this case is far more achievable and would provide better results that 1 or 2 ip cameras such as you sell for similar costs.

I don't disagree that they "can" provide a good picture but like everything you get what you pay for. I just feel that an a small alarm install in this case is far more achievable and would provide better results that 1 or 2 ip cameras such as you sell for similar costs.

Agree with JohnS but then again I would as we are in the same business!! CCTV is the second thing you should think of alarm is first, just think if your thief had a hoodie or similar covering their face or was in a stolen car then the footage however good in quality is next to useless.

Don't get me wrong CCTV has it's place and we fit loads of it (after an alarm) but you cannot beat a professionally installed (NSI/SSAIB) intruder alarm system to start with on a budget. :smashin:

Last edited:
As a building services design consultant I completely agree with the advice JohnS and blicky_1 have given above – stick to this and you shouldn’t go wrong. :smashin:

As a building services design consultant I completely agree with the advice JohnS and blicky_1 have given above – stick to this and you shouldn’t go wrong. :smashin:

I wouldn't dream of suggesting replacing an alarm system with IP cameras or CCTV ;)

In fact if you read my first reply to the OP I even mentioned that IP cams and alarm systenms should be viewed as complementary.

That said, even as erstwhile alarm system proponents, you should bear in mind that there are quite a few hybrid systems that serve in both regards (e.g. myhome247) while we also have a number of users who have actually done the sacrilegious thing by utilising just IP cameras (albeit in exactly what way and how many I wouldn't be able to tell of course).

Only wanted to make the point here that while we all accept that neither alaram systems or CCTV are mutually exclusive there are ways to use either or for specific uses and purposes.

Pete

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom