Alarm Clock Pro

BarryMcKelvey

Distinguished Member
Hi

I downloaded Alarm Clock Pro from the iTunes Store for £0.59 onto my iPhone 4 running OS4 obviously. When I run the app the time is displayed on the screen for a few minutes then the screen goes blank. To view the time again, I have to press the home key unlock my iPhone. Is this normal? If not how can I remedy this?

Thanks

Baz

Theydon Bois

Distinguished Member
What does this do that the internal clock and alarm does not? I use that to wake me up in the mornings.

New Start Neil

Distinguished Member
I wish the iPhone had the ability to switch itself on from being off.

I use an old Nokia 6310i as an alarm clock. :blush:

It's perfect in that it has superb battery life anyway, plus you can switch it off and it will switch itself on come alarm time. :thumbsup:

Theydon Bois

Distinguished Member
Azzin, why turn it off? The battery drops by all of 2% during night time.

bobbytoad

I wish the iPhone had the ability to switch itself on from being off..........you can switch it off and it will switch itself on come alarm time. :thumbsup:

thats the most missed featue of every nokia on teh planet over the iphone - you can switch teh phone off but alarm still works

Battery % drop over night for me is atleast 5-10% so not worth it for just alarm

New Start Neil

Distinguished Member
Azzin, why turn it off? The battery drops by all of 2% during night time.

So you reckon a 2% loss overnight?

But I'd also need to remember to put it in to Airplane mode to prevent any emails and texts waking me (us!) up and then take it out of Airplane mode the next day.

What about calendar alerts, I have some of those set for early that would presumable start beeping?

norealplan

Distinguished Member
So you reckon a 2% loss overnight?

But I'd also need to remember to put it in to Airplane mode to prevent any emails and texts waking me (us!) up and then take it out of Airplane mode the next day.

What about calendar alerts, I have some of those set for early that would presumable start beeping?

You know if you have it on silent, the alarm still works fine don't you?

norealplan

Distinguished Member
Texts, phone calls, reminders/alerts and emails all remain silent. However just remember if you have your phone on a hard surface, sometimes having the iPhone on vibrate can make enough noise to disturb you. So I usually leave mine on the carpet by the side of the bed.

I've only quickly experimented with Alarm Clock Pro, but to me it still doesn't appear to run truly in the background, even with the app updated to be 4.0 compatible. I set an alarm, returned to the home screen and it did not sound when it should do, however if you remain in the app, no issues.

So unless you really want to wake up to your own music, or use the display to show the time so it is readable at night (this obviously drains the battery), then I'd just stick with the alarm clock that comes with the iPhone. Obviously if I'm doing something wrong, and someone can point me in the right direction of getting Alarm Clock Pro to work in the background, then that would be great.

norealplan

Distinguished Member
Hi

I downloaded Alarm Clock Pro from the iTunes Store for £0.59 onto my iPhone 4 running OS4 obviously. When I run the app the time is displayed on the screen for a few minutes then the screen goes blank. To view the time again, I have to press the home key unlock my iPhone. Is this normal? If not how can I remedy this?

Thanks

Baz

Only just noticed the OP's question hasn't actually been answered yet!

On the clock display screen, press on the "i".

Scroll all the way to the bottom, and select "Auto-Lock".

You can then choose when you want the display to go off, if at all. You also have different settings if the phone is running off the battery or mains.

Spiderkid

I'm I being incredibly thick here, or is it still the case that even with iOS4, Alarm Clock Pro can't activate an alarm when the app is 'closed' - even though it should now be docked in the multitask bar?

This was one of the things I was really looking forward to with multi tasking..

gkpm

I'm I being incredibly thick here, or is it still the case that even with iOS4, Alarm Clock Pro can't activate an alarm when the app is 'closed' - even though it should now be docked in the multitask bar?

This was one of the things I was really looking forward to with multi tasking..

The right kind of multitasking facility for this kind of apps is still not available.

It is now possible to schedule a local notification at a certain time, but like the previous push notifications, an app can only add a badge, play a sound (from within it's own app bundle and lasting no longer than 30s) and show an alert box.

To actually go back into the alarm app would still needs user interaction, eg pressing the button in the alert box, so not an option if you want to use your MP3s or the usual more advanced alarm stuff.

Multitasking has made life great for music player, voip/chat, task planners and other specialized apps, but not alarms.

Spiderkid

Cheers gkpm, that's a real dissapointment as this appears to be one of the most basic functions which multitasking should have enabled. The only reason i downloaded this app was to use music as the alarm with a set fade in, if the standard clock could do that i wouldnt have to worry about using third party apps!

Last edited:

Puntoboy

Yep I had the same issues with Alarm Clock Pro so I'm sticking with the built in clock app for now. I put my phone on charge every night so I don't have to worry about it going flat over night.

aapierre

Standard Member
I'm sorry for being dim here but I havent been able to see the answer to what I'm looking for spelt out in words of two syllables or less [i havent asked above - just searching through for the answer]

I would like a clock app to sit on my bedside table and display a clock throughout the night without the need to touch it to wake it up. i.e. when i open my eyes at 3:45 am i hope to be able to see the clock just shining [dimly] away.

Is this possible with this app ?

sk33ve

Yes.

It keeps the display on all night

And you can slide your finger up/down the display to make it brighter/darker.
The only slight issue with that is that the iPhone backlight stays on all the time - so even if you set it to minimum you get a reasonable amount of Glow bleeding through from the backlight. Not a major issue though.

aapierre

Standard Member
thanks for helping out a dimwit like me

my blackberry cast a fair amount of light anyways so should be good

just need a good and simple cradle and then i'm sorted

bransoj

derek1971

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom