Alan Wake

meansizzler

Ex Member
Reaction score
What happened to this game, thought it was suppose to come out around the time Shadowrun did?

Remedy has remained vague about Alan Wake, unwilling to give any info regarding the date of its release. When asked about a release date, Remedy representatives respond, "When it's done". This has been the philosophy in Remedy Entertainment, because it gives them more control over the quality of the finished product.

In a recent interview on the GamerScore Blog, it was said that Alan Wake is slated to be released in 2008, although there wasn't a time frame stated.

The tech demo seemed really impressive whenever that was, they were talking about quad core utilisation. I imagine by the time the game comes out though we'll probably be on native quad cores which can only help with the performance of the game. Should be good, well at least pretty anyway!

The tech demo seemed really impressive whenever that was, they were talking about quad core utilisation. I imagine by the time the game comes out though we'll probably be on native quad cores which can only help with the performance of the game. Should be good, well at least pretty anyway!

I have a feeling that by the time it comes out it will look very average, that's one thing I hate about games that have graphical promise but slide over time because of development time. Early preview videos give the 'wow' factor because of visuals but that can lead to the game's ultimate downfall for graphic whores who see it at release and realise it then looks old by then.

I was like that for Halo 3. I was like 'wow' for their E3 video in 2006. Now I'm like, 'er ok whatever'. It looks good in places, but is mostly very average.

Edit: I'll add that the Halo dissapointment was also down to MS tricking us all with resolutions etc. The preview vid was obviously running higher res than the actual release.

I have a feeling that by the time it comes out it will look very average, that's one thing I hate about games that have graphical promise but slide over time because of development time. Early preview videos give the 'wow' factor because of visuals but that can lead to the game's ultimate downfall for graphic whores who see it at release and realise it then looks old by then.

I agree..

Apart from the graphics though the physics did seem to be spot on. I've got no idea whether the actual game will be any good.

Hopefully they are upping the graphics from what we've seen so far though.

Apart from the graphics though the physics did seem to be spot on. I've got no idea whether the actual game will be any good.

Hopefully they are upping the graphics from what we've seen so far though.

Yeah, I'm sure they'll continue to try and optimise what they've already got.

There's a good preview of the gamer over at Rock, Paper, Shotgun, including some vids if some people missed them the first time around.

Despite the comparative lack of hype, or perhaps because of it, Alan Wake is one of the games for 2008 that I am most anxious to see. Like Stalker last year it has made a number of promises about its world and its action that I want to see in the digital flesh. Psychological horror action seems to a genre that developers are able to deliver with sharper and more terrifying clarity than even before, and if Stalker reminded me of anything, it was how much I like a good fright. Fingers tightly cross for Alan, this one could be enormous.

Well it is increasingly looking like Alan Wake will be exclusive to Vista only. The following is an excerpt from PCGH.de,

PCGH: Does the game support DX 10? Will there be a fallback for DX 9 too?

Markus Maki, Remedy: We haven't announced anything on this yet.

PCGH: Will Alan Wake as announced be a Vista-Only-Title? Will there be any chance for players with Win XP to play the game?

Markus Maki, Remedy: It is best to consider Alan Wake to be a Vista exclusive game.

It's not surprising to see, I expect it'll be the norm the most PC titles from now on.
Microsoft need a way to shift their new OS and with the relatively poor take up so far they'll want some leverage on the buying public.
I expect they'll be phasing out support for the DX9 SDK as fast as they can to force the issue.

I'm not keen on Vista, but with a little tinkering it's not too hard to get it running on par with XP and hopefully the long awaited SP1 will sort a lot of it's issues out. That said it's still not installed on my machine, and it won't be for a while yet!

It's not surprising to see, I expect it'll be the norm the most PC titles from now on.
Microsoft need a way to shift their new OS and with the relatively poor take up so far they'll want some leverage on the buying public.
I expect they'll be phasing out support for the DX9 SDK as fast as they can to force the issue.

I'm not keen on Vista, but with a little tinkering it's not too hard to get it running on par with XP and hopefully the long awaited SP1 will sort a lot of it's issues out. That said it's still not installed on my machine, and it won't be for a while yet!

It won't be the norm for a long time. M$ aren't stopping development for XP until 09 with continued support up until 2012, this gives us 4 years of pretty much guaranteed DX9 support (as this is all XP will officially handle)

They're trying all the dirty tactics they can to push users onto Vista, I hardly think one game is going to make or break the OS market :rolleyes:
People aren't that dumb; the game is being released on the 360 too, this is based on a DX9 library, so there's absolutely no reason it won't work on XP, other than the crippling M$ decide to put in the code.

Less than 15% of people use Vista at the moment, and no-one in their right mind is gonna pay £40 for the game + £150 to upgrade to Vista. Well some might, but not enough for M$ to make any money off the game.

It will flop for this reason only, shame too. It looks like being a winner.

(on a side note, I managed to get Doom3 working on a WinME machine years ago when it was proclaimed as "XP ONLY!" - thanks to a quick search on google and a handy bit of hex editing :smashin: I hope to do the same with this eventually :D )

Well with rumours that Windows 7 will be upon us in 2009, it may be a chance for many to skip Vista altogether.

I hear rumblings that this game is to be dual core only.
The tech demo was running on a quad core extreme with a 7950 GPU (which is intriguing, since I'd have expected 8800)... wondering if this will literally eat a PC as Crysis reportedly does.

The tech demo was running on a quad core extreme with a 7950 GPU (which is intriguing, since I'd have expected 8800)... wondering if this will literally eat a PC as Crysis reportedly does.

I read quads would benefit most, as MicroDumb are aiming it primarily at the Xbox360 which has 3 processing cores.

Still they base one aspect on the 360 (the multiple threads), but then backtrack and lie and say that they need DX10 for it to work (which the 360 is lacking). Hmm...

Games on the 360 are only required to run at 30FPS. I like to aim a bit higher on my PC. with DX10 already being slower than DX9, i see this game flopping like a well hung spider monkey

My big concern is that its by the Max Payne people. I was never into Max Payne myself, hoping the devs have pulled off something a bit different. I was all for Mass Effect until I found it was the KOTOR people doing it (although I'm still tempted to give it a chance.

The game will do well on Xbox as it will no doubt be marketed as AAA title. Hard to say how well it will do on PC. PC gamers like adventure games but they are picky.

I'd be surprised if it is, especially since they made a big song and dance about it utilising four cores when they did their tech demo.

I found this

"So the PCMark Vantage Gaming HDD test is based on a real world scenario from the upcoming Alan Wake (streaming data off HDD in Vista)"

I'd be surprised if it is, especially since they made a big song and dance about it utilising four cores when they did their tech demo.

I read this as "at least Dual core", would make no sense to not utilise all for cores of a quad CPU, especially as they have been demonstrating good scalling accross quad cores.

"So the PCMark Vantage Gaming HDD test is based on a real world scenario from the upcoming Alan Wake (streaming data off HDD in Vista)"

Blimey - so it means Alan Wake will need an uber rig to play too!

I read this as "at least Dual core", would make no sense to not utilise all for cores of a quad CPU, especially as they have been demonstrating good scalling accross quad cores.

I agree. As they've talked about quad core support from the start I'd be surprised if they suddenly changed their mind

My Play order has not been despatched and they are showing a 26th Sep. 2008 release.
I ordered this on 24th Feb. 2006, so excitement levels are pretty low until final product footage and a release date are set.

Looks like Alan Wake is still alive according to a post on their official forums!

Dear people,

We feel we owe you all a small heads up, and our apologies for lack of updates. This is just part of our psychological thriller, is it all real or imagined...
Seriously, yes, we're still here and working hard on getting Alan Wake for you to enjoy. Sure, we've been in development for a long time and if everything had gone perfectly smoothly there probably would be a game out for you guys to play already. But designing a completely new game can be hard, and sometimes you need to take a detour to find the best route forward.

We want to entertain you guys in the best possible way and our team is putting in every effort possible in order for that to happen. That is the way Remedy wants to do things. I'm sure you will enjoy Alan Wake when we're done.

Just follow the light...

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom