1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Akira Kurosawa DVDs

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by njhpuk, Jan 12, 2004.

1. njhpuk

njhpuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

There are tons of Kurosawa DVDs at DDDHouse at bargain prices but are they inferior prints?? SHould I be looking to invest in DVDs from other distributors??

Thanks

2. rosemanbridge

rosemanbridge
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I've got some of the Criterion Collection DVD's and the print quality can't be faulted for films of their age.

3. Markmw

Markmw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My understanding is that the best prints/versions come from Criterion or BFI depending on the film. I've got mixture from both, and have generally trusted a comparison database to help chose. www.dvdcompare.net

DDDHouse is selling the Mei Ah range, which allegedly has poorer quality than other releases (I haven't seen them so don't know myself). I think someone also posted recently that they found their Mei Ah version of Rashomon didn't have English subtitles.

Bear in mind, however, that Criterion/BFI releases are rarely to be found cheap. Personally tho, such great, great films as Yojimbo or Seven Samurai deserve to seen at their best so I'm more han happy to pay for them.

4. Quatermass

Quatermass

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have all the Mei Ah Kurosawa dvd's that you cannot get from criterion/bfi and they are pretty awful. Not only are the transfers bad but the subtitles have not been translated properly into english (they usually have english subtitles - don't know about their version of Rashomon though). However, they do allow you to see Kurosawa films that cannot be obtained on dvd elsewhere (yet) and they are cheap.

If you are a fan of Kurosawa/films of genius it is worth getting the criterion/bfi versions. Criterion tend to have more extras and some have better transfers. Neither are cheap!