1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AKIRA - any laserdisc owners out there?

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by gargoyle, Mar 21, 2005.

1. gargoyle

gargoyle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    I've been the happy owner of the cav laserdisc edition of this incredible movie and have always been happy with the pic and sound quality from my pioneer laserdisc player but recently, I managed to catch a demo of the region 1 dvd - my problem is that it was demoed in an electrical discount warehouse and from what I could see, it looked great but the sound was very 'thin' and lacked the punch of the ld version, also, it appeared that the dvd has been re-dubbed and from what I could hear, not for the better - I was going to buy the dvd version but what little I heard in the demo definitely had me worried - can anyone confirm if the dvd version is a sonic downer?

2. captaineyecatch

captaineyecatch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Get the R1 DTS version - the new DTS Japanese track is simply stunning - especially for a old movie that was only made in Stereo, Its one of the best remixes ever. Its also nice and cheap :smashin:

3. Rummy

Rummy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Yes it was re-dubbed. Hang onto to that LD cause its the only Decent Copy floatin around with a good English Dubb. If you have the VHS from Streamline its the only other comparable format that its available in.

Other than the Dubbing not much is different. You get the same specials as the LD. The only reason to pick up the DVD is if you don't have it on LD, and want the special edition Tin... which is out of print if I'm correct.

So yeh, DVD only if you don't have it and enjoy Subtitles.

-Rumm Punch

4. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,678
    I couldn't stand the voices on the old vhs version they were all the turtules (same voice acters did alot of stuff) and the little wheelchair kid sounded like cartman. I like the DVD voices mutch better, thay have changed some of the textual script but i would certainly not complain about the dubing.

Bit annoyed these no DTS in the version i've got but its such a good film your trying harder to figure out whats going on than trying to pick detail out of the music (which is briliant).