captainarchive

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wasn't sure if this was a blu ray with a new 4k transfer or a 4k disc, I read the article a couple of times and I'm still only 80% sure.

"FUNimation Entertainment will release on 4K Blu-ray Katsuhiro Otomo's classic animated film Akira (1988). Currently, the release is set to arrive on the market on December 22. "

12193_tn.jpg

FUNimation: Akira Detailed for 4K Blu-ray

TAKE MY MONEY !!!!!!!!!!

I was very excited about this until I read up in it. If this is the same as the transfer already released that is being discussed on other forums, it’s not particularly good sadly.

I was very excited about this until I read up in it. If this is the same as the transfer already released that is being discussed on other forums, it’s not particularly good sadly.

DNR ? Oh no please not

This has already been released in Japan and therefore people have been able to get hold of it to review, it’s highly unlikely to be a different transfer used in this case.

This has already been released in Japan and therefore people have been able to get hold of it to review, it’s highly unlikely to be a different transfer used in this case.

thanks. Ah well was excited for about 5 minutes

Yep. Part of me is tempted to pick it up when it gets cheaper just to see for myself but I have a lovely looking steelbook BD already on the shelf so there’s certainly less inclination than if I didn’t already own it.

Ewwwwwwww...

The stench of the Japanese disc still fills my nostrils.

My foray into Anime on 4K hasn't started well. I ordered the US 4K release of Ghost In The Shell and read some reviews afterwards and they all say it isn't worth the upgrade from both a PQ & Audio point of view. And now this 4k release of Akira.

The GiTS reviews are bollocks tho.

The GiTS reviews are bollocks tho.
The main complaint appears to be how the 4K looks softer in lighter scenes but looking at this side by side comparison, I prefer the 4K overall. It's all moot though as my copy should be arriving any day now so I'll make up my own mind:

And in the cinema on 7th October Akira

So what’s the best version of this to go for?

Limited Edition UK release coming out on 30th November 2020

Amazon: Akira Limited Edition 4K UHD

Anime-On-Line: Akira - Limited Edition 4K UHD & BD (15) Blu-Ray

HMV: Akira Limited Edition | 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray | Free shipping over £20 | HMV Store

Zavvi: AKIRA - Limited Edition 4K Ultra HD (Includes 2D Blu-ray)

Zoom: Akira (Limited Edition 4K Ultra HD + Blu-ray) [UHD]

Akira_LE_4K.jpg

Akira_LE_4K (booklet).jpg

AKIRA 4K LIMITED EDITION INCLUDES:
  • 1x 4K UHD Blu-ray
  • 1x Standard Blu-ray (Feature Film)
  • 1x Standard Blu-ray (Special Features)
  • 1x 40 page booklet featuring: ‘The Energy Of Akira Stimulates The Human Mind’ by Ryusuke Hikawa, ‘The Music of Akira Continues to Evolve’ by Reiji Asakura, a round table interview with the Japanese cast and sound director, and ‘Timeline of Events in Akira’
  • Bonus Blu-ray special features include: AKIRA sound making 2019, AKIRA soundclip by Geinoh Yamashirogumi, End credits for 1998 theatrical release, Theatrical preview - Trailer collection with English subtitles, Story board collection.
  • All packaged in a rigid collectors box.
Special Features:

Blu-Ray Disc 1 - MANB8793:

• Akira Sound Clip (1988) (JPN 2.0 with ENG narration)
  • Music for Akira
  • Kaneda’s Theme
  • Exodus
  • Ethnic Meets Hi-Tech
  • Awakening
  • Mutation
  • Requiem
  • Director Interview (JPN 2.0 with ENG subtitles)
  • Storyboard Collection
  • The Writing on the Wall (8 still menus containing translated background text)
  • Original Trailers (2 videos - JPN 2.0 with ENG subtitles)
  • Original Commercials (3 videos - JPN 2.0 with ENG subtitles)
  • Restoring Akira (ENG 2.0)
  • Picture
  • English Voice Over
  • English 5.1 Audio Mix
  • Glossary
  • U.S. Trailer (2013)
Blu-ray Disc 2 - MANB8793:
  • AKIRA SOUND MAKING 2019 (Akira4K_CON_Extra_SoundMakingof_QT)
  • AKIRA SOUND CLIP BY GEINOH YAMASHIROGUMI (Akira4K_CON_SoundClip_QT)
  • End Credits (From the 1988 theatrical release) (Akira4K_CON_EndingCredits_QT)
Trailer Collection:
  • PV
  • PV 1 (Akira4K_CON_PV_QT)
  • PV 2 (Akira4K_CON_PV2min_QT)
  • PV 3 (Akira4K_CON_PV30s_01_QT)
  • PV 4 (Akira4K_CON_PV30s_02_QT)
  • PV 5 (Akira4K_CON_PV60s_QT)
  • CM
  • CM 1 (Akira4K_CON_TVspot_QT)
  • Storyboard Collection (Still images)

Last edited:
— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Anything different from the Japanese version? I got that a few moths ago and even though reviews aren’t great I enjoy just having it.
Is that any different to the one above from Zavvi?

I'd also be interested to know if it the same as the Japanese version. If it is I think £50 is too much for a non-steelbook version of a mediocre transfer, which is a shame as I really like the film and was hoping there might have been a new remaster for the UK cinema release.

Hoping some reviews start creeping out soon, surely? It's frustrating being in limbo for this release. It'll have to be a pretty significant upgrade to justify this one...

My old BD copy has the Japanese - 192khz 24 bit - Dolby true HD audio which sounds amazing!
Anyone know if this retains that level of audio fidelity? Or is it just a standard Atmos ‘upgrade’ ?

My old BD copy has the Japanese - 192khz 24 bit - Dolby true HD audio which sounds amazing!
Anyone know if this retains that level of audio fidelity? Or is it just a standard Atmos ‘upgrade’ ?

I have a UHD rip and that has the 192KHz sample rate and it is awesome for sure!
So besided from this version, which is the best to get if I would buy it today?
Only have the UHD rip and the Japanese Laserdisc but that lacks subtitles :(

I saw Akira in the cinema last night. I don’t think I’d ever seen it before. Absolutely amazing film! Loved it.

The sound track was *incredible*. Picture was good but quite soft. Still looked great, but don’t think it had had a full 4k restore.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom