Akira 4K Blu-ray Review & Comments

Does anyone know if this limited edition will start to include the HDR version? Or a new separate release is coming? Wondering whether to buy now or not as it’s slightly reduced an Amazon currently

Been wondering that myself, but mostly when our replacement discs will arrive. Has anyone had word?

I had a quick chat with them a few weeks back - they said likely mid-late Feb.

Ah yes, I remember the ETA now in their press message shared earlier in the thread, kind thanks @rfield

Hi,

Just got the email saying the replacement akira disc is being posted 👍

That's good news. Once you receive it, would you be able to confirm please whether it includes the 192/24 Japanese track? Thanks a lot. Hopefully not too long a wait for you now. :)

They reckon within 5 daysish - but post dependant !

I will have a look once it arrives - though using a xbox one x as a player currently

Hmmmmm. Don’t know if I should buy now and go for replacement or wait for an updated set with HDR

edit: bought now and I’ll get a replacement

Last edited:
Replacement HDR disc arrived today from Funimation UK. I'll be watching it this evening.

I love what they have done with the HDR presentation, light sources such as headlights, neons and lasers pop against the hand drawn animated drawings and matt paintings. The plot is difficult to follow but the action never gets boring. Its a work of art which id recommend to anyone who is interested in anime, extreme comic action and cyberpunk in general.

Last edited:
So was anyone elses menu totally borked on the mains screen ? And the setup screen is unusable ? ( this is on a xbox x so it could be the player but the old disc works fine)

Oh and the soundtracks seem the same 3 , 2 5.1 and a 2.0

So was anyone elses menu totally borked on the mains screen ? And the setup screen is unusable ? ( this is on a xbox x so it could be the player but the old disc works fine)

Oh and the soundtracks seem the same 3 , 2 5.1 and a 2.0
Ill definitely let you know when I get mine

It looks like the audio hasn't been upgraded in the replacement disc, to align with the Japanese 4K UHD release. In other words, the US/UK replacement disc is missing the 192kHz encode.

The Mrs got me this as a treat, I couldn't believe how much it was for what's really just a standard 4k release in my mind... albeit a really bad one due to the HDR missing.

I've also fired off the e-mail asking for a replacement disc and am glad to see some people have received it so hopefully I won't have to wait long to get it.

If my special edition R1 steel DVD case fitted in my Bluray shelf I'd just use that, it's a beautiful container.

So did anyone else's replacement disc on screen menus seem broken ?

I think they botched the authoring....

Hmmm how odd - maybe the xbox I will need to dig out another player 😂

Film was fine - its was just the menu boxes which were messed up

Are they going to be re-issuing this and if so have they announced a date?

I had the same thought a few weeks back but I thought might as well get it now as the replacements are being delivered as promised.

Plus you get to keep the old 4K SDR disc..

Also what I didn’t want to happen is a new reissue come out that was just the standard version as I really wanted the limited release.

I had to send the old disc back because I didn't have proof of purchase.

The menus work fine on my HDR replacement disc.

I had the same thought a few weeks back but I thought might as well get it now as the replacements are being delivered as promised.

Plus you get to keep the old 4K SDR disc..

Also what I didn’t want to happen is a new reissue come out that was just the standard version as I really wanted the limited release.
I'm not interested in ltd releases, I'll have to keep an eye and see if there's any announcements but if not go with the current release and replacement disc.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom