Akira 4K Blu-ray Review & Comments

Not a real animé fan but I had Akira on LaserDisc waaaay back when by Criterion and saw Ghost at the flix in the mid 90's and I absolutely loved it.
GITS is definitely my fave.

Not a real animé fan but I had Akira on LaserDisc waaaay back when by Criterion and saw Ghost at the flix in the mid 90's and I absolutely loved it.
GITS is definitely my fave.
Have you seen GITS movie? It is basically 1:1 anime.

Like I say, went to see it in my home town - London back in '95.
I'm not an animé officiando - I just know what I prefer.
I get that you did not understand my post as it would be quite difficult to see a movie released in 2017 in 1995 ;) Ghost in the Shell (2017 film) - Wikipedia

I am not anime anything. I actually could not care less about anime. I just like good and convincing story / movie. If it is anime, that if fine, why not?

That is why, as you seemed to have liked it, I have pointed that the movie is basically 1:1 anime. So if you have

I thought it was pretty obvious that I was referring to the '95 animé version.

That is exactly why, as you have liked the anime, I have pointed out that the movie is basically 1:1 reproduction so you should enjoy it as well. I know I did and it was a nice way to refresh (in my memory) this old classic.

Last edited:
That is exactly why, as you have liked the anime, I have pointed out that the movie is basically 1:1 reproduction so you should enjoy it as well. I know I did and it was a nice way to refresh this old classic.

I agree the movie has some scenes ripped straight from the anime, and that's commendable, but in my opinion the story was not crying out for an 'origin' backdrop, which is where the two vastly differ.

In the anime, the Major is an enigma. She doesn't need some convoluted explanation as to how she came to be.

Unfortunately duping some of the major setpieces for live action doesn't absolve the rest of the stuff they unnecessarily changed.

I agree the movie has some scenes ripped straight from the anime, and that's commendable, but in my opinion the story was not crying out for an 'origin' backdrop, which is where the two vastly differ.

In the anime, the Major is an enigma. She doesn't need some convoluted explanation as to how she came to be.

Unfortunately duping some of the major setpieces for live action doesn't absolve the rest of the stuff they unnecessarily changed.

Probably that is what did not feel right about the movie when I was watching it and the feeling was, to lesser or bigger extent, accompanying me thought it. Probably the mix of it and the fact that some scenes look right in animated form but don't translate naturally to live action movie made for this off feeling (I have not seen anime in probably a decade before watching a movie so it was not a direct comparison but some scenes from anime are so iconic that I had no doubt that they were directly and 1:1 recreated in the movie with even same camera angles etc.).

I don't plan to rewatch anime but I plan to rewatch the movie in 3d on new PJ setup on 133" screen. This should be epic :)

Wish i had found this BEFORE i opened my Zavvi delivered copy :( From a quick cursory look the 4k version is only slightly better than the included 1080p version and they both use SDR:BT.709. It could be just a straight upscale ....

But there is a bonus for some people - the bluray in the set contains the 192khz Japanese track.

Feeling pretty ripped off by this especially as i didn't notice amazon had it at 45 quid while Zavvi stung me for 52.

I've not got the Akira 4k blu ray but I just saw this online. Beginning February 2021 Funimation are going to let you replace the UK discs with ones that have HDR.

Also from February the UK 4k blu ray release of Akira will have HDR. Here's all the information from Funimation -

PicsArt_12-23-02.06.27.jpg

PicsArt_12-23-02.06.51.jpg

The UK Ireland email isn't working. Send to both addresses is the best bet right now.

Moral of the story - never screw with a Geek :rotfl:

They must have had such a backlash to do this! And rightly so!

Which 4K release has the Ultrasonic Audio track then?

Which 4K release has the Ultrasonic Audio track then?

My understanding is that the Japanese 4k release (circa 75 GBP) does on the 4K disc (plus English subtitles).

The UK/US reissue addresses the HDR but isn't clear regarding the 192/24 Japanese track (although Obiit confirmed that the Blu-ray includes it).

My understanding is that the Japanese 4k release (circa 75 GBP) does on the 4K disc (plus English subtitles).
You’d hope every 4K disc includes the Ultrasonic audio. It’s the biggest drawcard of this release, seeing as they’ve decided to go a certain way, that splits opinions, with the picture.

The UK Ireland email isn't working. Send to both addresses is the best bet right now.

I just tried the UK address and receive the following email response,

Delivery has failed to these recipients or groups:

akirafunanimation@com
Your message wasn't delivered because the recipient's mailbox is undergoing maintenance and can't accept messages now. Please try resending the message later.

Does anyone have a working email or should I wait a while and try again later?

Rather frustrating. I recently raised an issue with The Goonies 4K disc glitch (please see thread for this), which took a while to arrive. But I am glad this has been acknowledged with a date.

I sent mine to the UK address yesterday not had anything bounce back ?
I think they might have fixed it. I sent mine about a week ago and it bounced - tried again yesterday and it seems to have worked (or at least I didn't get an error anyway).

Thanks both, I found another address soon after,

[email protected]

Worked. Just realised I had sent it to the US address by accident at first.

Does anyone know if this limited edition will start to include the HDR version? Or a new separate release is coming? Wondering whether to buy now or not as it’s slightly reduced an Amazon currently

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom