Akira 4K Blu-ray Review & Comments

featherhall

Distinguished Member

CarlB

Wow Mine is delayed for a day or so (late Amazon delivery) but might be tempted to send it right back.

MrNikeR

The mystery of it all. Maybe we should contact the Studio for an explanation.

rfield

Might be worth double-checking this is actually a thing?
No offence to them, but the only person that's said it doesn't have HDR has a total of 1 post on AVF.
I'd check myself, but everything's unplugged until later in the week.

MrNikeR

Big debate on this over at Blu-Ray.com

old-boy

well got my copy this morning and its true theres no HDR, and this 4K SDR looks bad, and at this price im not keeping it its going straight back, complete waste of time and money on a very lackluster release.

Attachments

• Akita none hdr.jpg
    Akita none hdr.jpg
    349.1 KB · Views: 230

Garioch

Distinguished Member
That is a pity. Thanks @old-boy for the update.

rfield

well got my copy this morning and its true theres no HDR, and this 4K SDR looks bad, and at this price im not keeping it its going straight back, complete waste of time and money on a very lackluster release.
That's a real shame - guess mine's going back as well then.

edit have sent mangauk a message to see what their response is, but as they're just a distributor for funimation I suspect they won't be much help.

Looks like Cas has updated the review to mention it’s in sdr only too.

Last edited:

rebel_scum

Distinguished Member
If it's not a colossal goof, it's possibly to stop reverse importing.

If this is the way forward, the UK anime UHD scene has died before it's even started.

Garioch

Distinguished Member

edit have sent mangauk a message to see what their response is, but as they're just a distributor for funimation I suspect they won't be much help.

Funimation was going to be my next option but based on your feedback - think I'll pass. I checked my order and it has been dispatched. Can't justify the money for this so it will be getting returned.

Matt Horne

Well for me I will keep it... I only have it on region 1 dvd from years back 😂...

I would not splurge to import it from Japan just for the hdr - ( as it sounds like its not a huge difference).
I wonder if it will get a 4k update on itunes 🤔

sadrobotx

Just had a quick look at my copy that arrived today. No HDR, and from what I gather, doesn't have the 192kHz/24bit soundtrack either (but I'll need to double check that). I also noticed the back of the box doesn't even advertise Japanese audio on the 4K disk (of course, it does, but pretty poor packaging for those picking it up from the shelf). I also have the Japanese release (I pre-ordered it before it was known it was coming out in the UK).

I don't understand why Manga had to make changes, and not just do a duplication of those disks? Is there some sort of licensing issue?

Casimir Harlow

Blu-ray Reviewer

Yes, totally my fault, didn't realise until Sunday morning and corrected the review immediately.

Hadn't seen the film since DVD days and stupidly assumed my PR check disc was the same 4K disc as in all territories.

I hadn't noticed the absence of the HDR flag at disc startup and, frankly, thought it looked pretty damn good in terms of the colour scheme.

Normally I'd check the specs, so that was my mistake.

We've since reached out to the PR company to see if they get anywhere with the studios.

Hopefully it's a production mistake which gets corrected but an answer either way would be useful.

RetroDaz

First Lords Of The Rings gets a straight overall ten, despite a complete lack of extras, and now Akira is getting praise for its HDR without actually having any. AV Forums was always my go to source for 4K reviews. Not anymore. Good for Cas for at least admitting the mistake.

featherhall

Distinguished Member
First Lords Of The Rings gets a straight overall ten, despite a complete lack of extras, and now Akira is getting praise for its HDR without actually having any. AV Forums was always my go to source for 4K reviews. Not anymore. Good for Cas for at least admitting the mistake.

a 10/10 for the films. It was explained perfectly that there was no extras.
Personally I would remove any scores for extras and only have a comment.

RetroDaz

a 10/10 for the films. It was explained perfectly that there was no extras.
Personally I would remove any scores for extras and only have a comment.
It's about changing the reviewing process to suit an agenda I don't personally like. There's normally a score for extras which has been conveniently left out in order to award a higher score. This silly HDR mistake simply compounds to me that I can't trust scores here any more. I used to get excited whenever a new review dropped. Not anymore.

Garioch

Distinguished Member
I've received my copy.

One thing that strikes me is that it doesn't look like a £45 or £50 set. (Pioneer R1 shown for comparison). I guess I was expecting something akin to the everythingblu sets or a studio canal / arrow LE.

20201209_154509.jpg20201209_154501.jpg20201209_154541.jpg20201209_154612.jpg20201209_154520.jpg

Attachments

• 20201209_154530.jpg
    20201209_154530.jpg
    312.5 KB · Views: 119

sebna

Oh nice I think I have limited edition with 192/24 jap track. Perfect for a rewatch. What a brilliant movie it is although not the easiest to watch.

Pyongyang

Got mine today. I'm holding out in the hopes replacement discs will be sent out. Being in Ireland this will have to be sent to the UK if not and I don't want the inevitable import tax etc thanks to Brexit if a replacement is sent back.

sebna

That reminded me to go and check and indeed I have special edition with 24/192 Jap track :D. Wohoo :)

Pyongyang

I have the 2011 disc which I think has the 2.0 JPN track too? The 4K disc is going back to Zoom unopened for a refund if Manga and Failimation don't pipe up soon about what the situation is.

It's a rip off if this is the junk they are going to peddle in Europe and USA minus the German 4K disc which apparently has HDR.

Wicked City has been a disaster too, for the UK release, apparently. Glad I didn't buy it. I have Cyber City Oedo blu ray on the way from a pre order,let's hope that isn't a disaster too.

It's bad enough that 4K physical media seems to be dead on arrival in the UK and Ireland. This just another disaster to keep potential customers as well as enthusiasts and anime fans away.

What a cock up.

sebna

I have 5 channel 24/192 Jap track :)

bash

It saddens me that one of my faves and one of the all time greatest films (obvs not as good as Predator) is not getting the treatment it deserves. I thought the BR release I imported years ago upon release was incredible and couldnt see how the image quality could have been improved at the time. Seeing the bitrate audio stream size show up on my tv was mind blowing too.

I have yet to make the 4k plunge but this (and PC gaming) could have been the tipping point. But alas it appears theres still a definitive version yet to be released . . . .

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: REL T/9x Subwoofer + Bowers & Wilkins PI7 Reviews, AV Shows in a Pandemic and more
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Freeview Play viewers get Android TV homescreen update
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Hisense announces US TV and soundbar ranges for 2021
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 5th May 2021
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
AVForums Movies Podcast: 4th May 2021