AKG702 Review

Jaded1

Established Member
Reaction score
You can read the rest of my thoughts on some AKGs and others here.

Right now I've just purchased the K612Pro and the K702.

The 612 are very flat and unexciting however I have totally fallen in love with the 702 which you could say is odd after my review of the 712Pro.

Finally I have found a pair of budget headphones to rival my K550 which I still adore but don't sound quite the same with new non propriety replacement pads.

Onto the 612 then. Available on amazon for the bargain price of £110. All the reviews I've read say that they are flat and lacking bass. I don't agree. You will need an amp to get the best out of these because they do require decent power. The bass on these headphones are the best resolving I've heard at this price. They do not add and they do not take away. If there's bass in the recording they will show it. Too much and they will let you know, too little and it won't put it there for you. My main gripe with the 712 was the adding of upper mid bass. It ruins recordings in the mid range which is where most of the music is.

My favourite feature of the headphones is the super detail they dig out. Mid range, vocals and guitars finely picked out and put where they belong. Soundstage is just beautiful. After only one hour of use I found myself lost in the music queing up track after track.

The downside is the treble. Its there in spades so poor equipment without an EQ will destroy your ears. Thankfully my set up can more than cope.

I listened to old scruffy demo recording of a band I used to play in and its never sounded so good.

Can't wait to play them again later.

10/10 for the price.

You can read the rest of my thoughts on some AKGs and others here.

Right now I've just purchased the K612Pro and the K702.

The 612 are very flat and unexciting however I have totally fallen in love with the 702 which you could say is odd after my review of the 712Pro.

Finally I have found a pair of budget headphones to rival my K550 which I still adore but don't sound quite the same with new non propriety replacement pads.

Onto the 612 then. Available on amazon for the bargain price of £110. All the reviews I've read say that they are flat and lacking bass. I don't agree. You will need an amp to get the best out of these because they do require decent power. The bass on these headphones are the best resolving I've heard at this price. They do not add and they do not take away. If there's bass in the recording they will show it. Too much and they will let you know, too little and it won't put it there for you. My main gripe with the 712 was the adding of upper mid bass. It ruins recordings in the mid range which is where most of the music is.

My favourite feature of the headphones is the super detail they dig out. Mid range, vocals and guitars finely picked out and put where they belong. Soundstage is just beautiful. After only one hour of use I found myself lost in the music queing up track after track.

The downside is the treble. Its there in spades so poor equipment without an EQ will destroy your ears. Thankfully my set up can more than cope.

I listened to old scruffy demo recording of a band I used to play in and its never sounded so good.

Can't wait to play them again later.

10/10 for the price.
What electronics would you recommend to others? Is any DAC/AMP combo worth pairing with AKG cans?

That's a personal preference I think. Just making the point that an amp is needed to enjoy these and to not pair with bright equipment.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom