AKG N5005 In-Ear Monitor Review & Comments

I am on the verge of being a true reactionary to the business of change but I can state with some confidence that the experience of being untethered from my phone when out on the move - especially in places like London - is enough to ensure this is how I generally listen, even if I have a headphone socket available. Whatever, notional qualitative losses are more than offset by the convenience on offer.

HERESY!!! :rotfl: I'm kidding - I'm not much of a HiFi snob but I do have my preferences, yet you're totally right. We should also keep in mind that if you're out on the move, you're already heavily compromising your audition quality due to environmental noise, movement etc so pretending that the difference between AptX and wired is significant in that scenario is, frankly, a bit silly...

This is why I've now stopped using my trusty TripleFi and instead use a Sony WH-1000XM2 while out and about - it's far more convenient, the sound quality isn't really that different while on a train/walking in central London, and let's not forget that it keeps my ears warm! :D

Nice review

I've been using the N5005 for quite a few months since it's release.

The only thing I'd slightly disagree with is the wired comparison. For me I've not heard many earphones that match it's performance sound quality wise. I find the level of detail and clarity from the N5005 outperforms many earphones at a much higher price. I sold my Noble K10 after a few weeks using the N5005. The Noble despite sounding excellent just couldn't match the intricate detail that the N5005 offers.

The only earphone that I've heard/owned that I prefer is the new RHA CL2 Planar earphone.

Nice review

I've been using the N5005 for quite a few months since it's release.

The only thing I'd slightly disagree with is the wired comparison. For me I've not heard many earphones that match it's performance sound quality wise. I find the level of detail and clarity from the N5005 outperforms many earphones at a much higher price. I sold my Noble K10 after a few weeks using the N5005. The Noble despite sounding excellent just couldn't match the intricate detail that the N5005 offers.

The only earphone that I've heard/owned that I prefer is the new RHA CL2 Planar earphone.

Ironically, I'm putting the finishing touches to the review of the one earphone under £1,000 I think is capable of higher performance via wired connection... I also think that Noble's new range keeps it honest. Looking forward to trying the RHA in due course.

Ironically, I'm putting the finishing touches to the review of the one earphone under £1,000 I think is capable of higher performance via wired connection... I also think that Noble's new range keeps it honest. Looking forward to trying the RHA in due course.

I've tried a few Noble earphones and to be honest I always find them a little underwhelming. Not sure what it is about them but to my ears they just seem to lack a certain something, the K10 had a great soundstage but I found them lacking musically.

The CL2 are very special in my opinion. Bass response that is really textured and has just the right amount of depth. They are dividing opinion over at head-fi however due their treble response. Can be quite harsh on poorly mastered tracks. I don't find it an issue and for me they are probably the best earphone I've owned over the last few years.

Thing is that's the beauty and downside with earphone reviews, I think we all hear a little differently and so much seems dependent on music choice, source and tips used etc etc.

Nice review.

I’m struggling to see why they have been awarded best in class though?
Because they are the best (only?) wireless in ears you’ve heard?

Nice review.

I’m struggling to see why they have been awarded best in class though?
Because they are the best (only?) wireless in ears you’ve heard?

Nope- I've listened to quite a few. It comes down to how few compromises have been made to their wired performance to allow them to be wireless as well. They can do every audiophile trick in the book before then helping you commute on a Monday morning.

Nope- I've listened to quite a few. It comes down to how few compromises have been made to their wired performance to allow them to be wireless as well. They can do every audiophile trick in the book before then helping you commute on a Monday morning.
Thanks for clarifying. I wasn’t questioning your judgement, it just wasn’t apparent that you had. :thumbsup:

I've had these a few months and the sound is just quality.
It has detailed treble and mids and good refined bass. The soundstage for IEMs is staggering. I haven't had many high end IEMs but these certainly beat the IE800s they just has more detail and punch.

only criticism is that's it's notoriously difficult to get a good fit., but I always struggle with most IEMs.

Also don't forget these come with 4 filters so the signature can be altered to suite your mood/music preference.

In balanced mode the headphones open up even further.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom