AKG N5005 In-Ear Monitor Review & Comments

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by Phil Hinton, Jan 3, 2019.

1. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
      AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +3,818
    2. sergiup

sergiup
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +4,060
      HERESY!!! :rotfl: I'm kidding - I'm not much of a HiFi snob but I do have my preferences, yet you're totally right. We should also keep in mind that if you're out on the move, you're already heavily compromising your audition quality due to environmental noise, movement etc so pretending that the difference between AptX and wired is significant in that scenario is, frankly, a bit silly...

This is why I've now stopped using my trusty TripleFi and instead use a Sony WH-1000XM2 while out and about - it's far more convenient, the sound quality isn't really that different while on a train/walking in central London, and let's not forget that it keeps my ears warm! :D

3. McCol

McCol

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +298
      Nice review

I've been using the N5005 for quite a few months since it's release.

The only thing I'd slightly disagree with is the wired comparison. For me I've not heard many earphones that match it's performance sound quality wise. I find the level of detail and clarity from the N5005 outperforms many earphones at a much higher price. I sold my Noble K10 after a few weeks using the N5005. The Noble despite sounding excellent just couldn't match the intricate detail that the N5005 offers.

The only earphone that I've heard/owned that I prefer is the new RHA CL2 Planar earphone.

4. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
      AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +3,818
      Ironically, I'm putting the finishing touches to the review of the one earphone under £1,000 I think is capable of higher performance via wired connection... I also think that Noble's new range keeps it honest. Looking forward to trying the RHA in due course.

5. McCol

McCol

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +298
      I've tried a few Noble earphones and to be honest I always find them a little underwhelming. Not sure what it is about them but to my ears they just seem to lack a certain something, the K10 had a great soundstage but I found them lacking musically.

The CL2 are very special in my opinion. Bass response that is really textured and has just the right amount of depth. They are dividing opinion over at head-fi however due their treble response. Can be quite harsh on poorly mastered tracks. I don't find it an issue and for me they are probably the best earphone I've owned over the last few years.

Thing is that's the beauty and downside with earphone reviews, I think we all hear a little differently and so much seems dependent on music choice, source and tips used etc etc.

6. DroidSkin

DroidSkin
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +3,038
      Nice review.

I’m struggling to see why they have been awarded best in class though?
      Because they are the best (only?) wireless in ears you’ve heard?

7. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
      AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +3,818
      Nope- I've listened to quite a few. It comes down to how few compromises have been made to their wired performance to allow them to be wireless as well. They can do every audiophile trick in the book before then helping you commute on a Monday morning.

8. DroidSkin

DroidSkin
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +3,038
      Thanks for clarifying. I wasn’t questioning your judgement, it just wasn’t apparent that you had. :thumbsup: