Akai VSA77 EK video problem

Nick Odgers

Established Member
Reaction score
I have had this trusty old video for about 15 years, and now just use it to record radio programmes. It works perfectly in record or play mode for about an hour, but then stops recording or playing, it does not eject tape, but just stops. Hopefully a worn part, it only seems to happen when tape is transferring to right side of cassette. Any ideas appreciated.

I decided to open it up and give it a good clean. The heads and guides were o k, but the pinch roller was lagged in dirt, and took a dozen cotton buds to clean. It seems to be o.k. now. What a solid, quality machine compared to the rubbish coming off production lines now!

I lusted after one of these years ago !

Mike.

Originally posted by Nick Odgers
What a solid, quality machine compared to the rubbish coming off production lines now!

To be fair Nick, I purchased one of these when it was launched and how much did I pay for it, getting on close to a grand I think?

There's no longer a market for this type of build quality in a VCR and I'm sure we'll be saying the same about expensive DVD players in the years to come.

I can`t really agree, I have an old What Video mag from December 1989 and one dealer is offering it for £575. I know £575 is more money 15 years ago, but how many of todays video machines will still be working in 15 years time?

Wow! is this the one with surround sound output with its own amp for rear speakers, if it is i use to have one for years, I eventually upgraded to s-video, my parents then had my Akai which lasted them a fair few years.

Yes, it had a built-in amp for rear speakers, which I used to use until I got a Yamaha processor. It is working well again after clean up and I reckon will outlive me!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom