AKAI /Turntable

nathan2oo3

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi Folks, I am wanting to get a turntable for a relative for xmas. I know a bit about hifis bt wouldnt call myself an expert by any means. Anyways my question is they have an AKAI hifi system. Its a pretty old system but good sound from it. They dont have the record player any more so I was looking to get a replacement. However AKAI dont seem to have any stores where I could buy a replacement one.

Would it be possible to use another turntable from another brand? And if so could you recommend any?

Thanks in advance

If they had a turntable connected to their system originally, you're off to a good start.

On the assumption that they did, you need to establish if that tt had a Moving Magnet or Moving Coil cartridge, to ensure that you get a similar one this time.

Otherwise, you need to check if their amplifier has switchable option or separate inputs for MM/MC.

Model number of their amplifier may help if you/we can google it for a manual or overview.

How much were you thinking of spending? No point in us recommending a Linn at (say) £1500 when you want to spend £150 ....

Oh, and Yes - there's no problem using another brand at all.

Last edited:
Yea I got the model number:

akai axm 430

Dont think the company is still going though and couldnt find a manual :(

Dont really wanna spend much £100 tops..

Found a pic, there's definitely a phono input on the rear, but unclear whether MM or MC.

You won't get much for £100, I fear....

You can get this Sony for just over £100, but it doesn't look particularly exciting, nor well-made.... same applies to this Denon

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
I'm pretty sure the amp only has a mm input.

You could get a second hand Dual 505, 504, Pioneer PL20D, Sansui SR222 if you look on ebay. Any of these will probably outperform the Sony listed above.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom