• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

AKAI /Turntable

nathan2oo3

Standard Member
Hi Folks, I am wanting to get a turntable for a relative for xmas. I know a bit about hifis bt wouldnt call myself an expert by any means. Anyways my question is they have an AKAI hifi system. Its a pretty old system but good sound from it. They dont have the record player any more so I was looking to get a replacement. However AKAI dont seem to have any stores where I could buy a replacement one.

Would it be possible to use another turntable from another brand? And if so could you recommend any?

Thanks in advance

formbypc

If they had a turntable connected to their system originally, you're off to a good start.

On the assumption that they did, you need to establish if that tt had a Moving Magnet or Moving Coil cartridge, to ensure that you get a similar one this time.

Otherwise, you need to check if their amplifier has switchable option or separate inputs for MM/MC.

Model number of their amplifier may help if you/we can google it for a manual or overview.

How much were you thinking of spending? No point in us recommending a Linn at (say) £1500 when you want to spend £150 ....

Oh, and Yes - there's no problem using another brand at all.

Last edited:

nathan2oo3

Standard Member
Yea I got the model number:

akai axm 430

Dont think the company is still going though and couldnt find a manual :(

Dont really wanna spend much £100 tops..

formbypc

Found a pic, there's definitely a phono input on the rear, but unclear whether MM or MC.

You won't get much for £100, I fear....

Music4ever

I'm pretty sure the amp only has a mm input.

You could get a second hand Dual 505, 504, Pioneer PL20D, Sansui SR222 if you look on ebay. Any of these will probably outperform the Sony listed above.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom