Akai Amp with DVD Player And Tannoy Speakears is Tremendous

scorpion88

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I have being 'playing around' with my 'kit' options and reached the conclusion that a combination of Akai, Wharferdale DVD player :rolleyes: combined with Tannoy MX2 speakers produces Audio Heaven

Any observations welcome

Yep, one. Wharfedale did dvd players !!:D :smashin:

Yep, one. Wharfedale did dvd players !!:D :smashin:

Hi DD,

Yes they did back in 2004:D; the MP3 and it received a best buy when I was younger back in 2004:)

Still a great source and just love these older components albeit some 30 years old as a package.

It is IMO far superior to my CA 640v2.:D

I have yet try it with my other disc spinners - although am thinking very tentatively of getting one of the ubiquitous streamers.:D

Cheers

Scorpion

What ... no photos?

I suspect for the cost, that would be a pretty pleasant system.

Steve/bluewizard

What ... no photos?

I suspect for the cost, that would be a pretty pleasant system.

Steve/bluewizard

It is a pretty seismic musical experience and fills me with great joy with great nirvana.

I will try to download but I am no David Bailey. For further information, the amp is a Akai V1200.

Cheers

Stephen aka Sorpion

We all was yonger in 2004 :D

I do see how good that can be, but 'far superior' than the CA640?
If we're talking cdp's, Well, that's high praise indeed

Up to the other day, i have been using a Pioneer DV400 dvdp for cd audio in the dining room for the past 2 years. This is the 2nd of 2 DV400 and bought mainly for cd (s/h from the bay) usage after trying the 1st one. Not quite audio nirvana, but impressed with what i was hearing. SWMBO was happy which meant all was well in my house :D. However, that may change as i upgraded it to a Marantz UD7006 because i wanted a UDP with very good CD audio and the abillity to steam movies. Its somewhat slower on start up :(. So even though SQ and funtionality has been improved, all she will see is it takes longer to load cd's - Head stress.

Last edited:

Up to the other day, i have been using a Pioneer DV400 dvdp for cd audio in the dining room for the past 2 years. This is the 2nd of 2 DV400 and bought mainly for cd (s/h from the bay) usage after trying the 1st one. Not quite audio nirvana, but impressed with what i was hearing. SWMBO was happy which meant all was well in my house :D. However, that may change as i upgraded it to a Marantz UD7006 because i wanted a UDP with very good CD audio and the abillity to steam movies. Its somewhat slower on start up :(. So even though SQ and funtionality has been improved, all she will see is it takes longer to load cd's - Head stress.

Appreciate this is all subjective but yes, after dabbling with the CA 640 and the Akai prefer the sound of the latter. More bass response and altogether more 'guts'

however, I find this surprising - the CA has greater output but still seems inferior to thr Akai.

Maybe an improve to be considered is an external DAC:eek:

Subjective or not, it what matters to your ears that count.
You wil always get someone saying the opposite to what we just agreed upon, but sometimes there those little gems that cost 2 a penny that somehow gives the bigger boys good run for their money.

If it sounds good as it is, why bother with an ext dac.

You're quite right. If 'it aint broke don't fix it':D

but you're spot on and it does blow the **** out of the CA 640:)

Cheers

Assuming the Akai is reasonably powerful there's no reason why it shouldn't capably drive the Tannoys, and I bet most people cannot tell the difference between a budget DVD player and a high-end CD player anyway... ;) What you are reporting makes perfect sense :)

Assuming the Akai is reasonably powerful there's no reason why it shouldn't capably drive the Tannoys, and I bet most people cannot tell the difference between a budget DVD player and a high-end CD player anyway... ;) What you are reporting makes perfect sense :)
Amp provides a decent 60 watts per channel and has more 'guts' than 75w 640v2:)

Thinking of getting a streamer :D although I have no idea where to begin. I apprciate this goes goagainst all of by previous posts/prophecies.

Please try not to laugh:laugh: or humiliate:rolleyes: but this is a serious consideration.

However, I have just woken up after a heavy night and could be confused:D

cheers

I guess that is not the best comment I have posted ( citing the bleedin obvious). I believe I am 10 years older:rolleyes: than you:D

Streaming is the way to go, and many here have attested to how good their Squeezeboxen are. One guy over on the hificritic forums was comparing it as a source component with high-end CDPs. Which, when you think about it, shouldn't be surprising... ;)

As for myself, my next CDP will hopefully be a Sony DVP-S7700 :) It's a beautifiul looking and very cool toy. Nothing wrong with DVPs!

Thinking of getting a streamer :D although I have no idea where to begin. I apprciate this goes goagainst all of by previous posts/prophecies.

Please try not to laugh:laugh: or humiliate:rolleyes: but this is a serious consideration.

However, I have just woken up after a heavy night and could be confused:D

cheers

Thought i give you a bit of time to recover from last nights antics bewfore can dicuss streaming :D.
Since you already have a SB Touch, i take it you now are thinking about streaming films. In which case there's only 2 brands i was prepared to look at. Oppo 93 and Marantz UD7006 ( the Oppo 95 was way to much for my pockets). Opted for the Marantz because i got it at very good deal as it was a open box. Denon is also up there apparantly, but too bulbus for me :). Goes without saying there cheaper and more expensive models, just depends on needs and budget
If you do not require any disc spinning and purely interested in streaming, then there is the Dune Media Players.

Dune HD

There quite a few UDP with streaming ability popping up in the classifieds now so could possible save some money there.

I guess that is not the best comment I have posted ( citing the bleedin obvious)

Sorry mate, just couldn't resist and just i've celebrated being 45 yrs young the other day. Can't have a session like i use to. have to go easy nowadays :laugh:.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom