Ajax Smart Home Alarm System Review & Comments

CarMad

Cheers - will see what they say. However it appears the company / dealer I got the kit from originally won't sell anymore to me has gone trade only. Mmmm

Ajax Systems

Standard Member
AVForums Sponsor
Is anyone having issues with the battery life of their sensors? I've had two devices go dead within 12 months. Considering the sales pitch of up to 4 years for I'm a bit surprised to say the least.

One gave virtually no warning the other did, but surely you should get more out of them. I wouldn't mind but the one that has gone dead first has 2x batteries in it being an internal siren.
Hi CarMad. Sorry to know you had issues with the batteries. Can we please ask you to check up with our battery life calculator to see if there were any external factors for batteries to go down? How long Ajax devices operate on batteries, and what affects this | Ajax Systems Support

If none of the factors apply, we advise you to contact Ajax regional partner who has provided you with devices and ask for replacement. In case there are any issues with this, please contact our technical support (via email [email protected] or our Telegram bot @AjaxSystemsSupport_Bot). They will be happy to assist you with solving the issue as well.

Or you can also reach out to Dom as Mushii suggested.

CarMad

Hi just used the calculator and it says 4.38 years life.

Its an internal siren positioned on a landing maybe 4mtrs from the hub through a wall I'd say the closest sensor in the house. I got no warning it was low and then went dead. Opened it up and moved the batteries to check it was a dry connection or something and it did come back on for a week but then died again.

The other is the home siren but that is in a hot/cold area and has said the battery is low but hasn't failed and it isn't outside either so isn't getting super cold. All others are fine.

D

Deleted member 24354

As above advice. Try ajax support to start with. If you have no luck then I can give you Dom's details.

rossyl

Hi All

With some help (you know who you are) my AJAX System is all set up.

I'd like to test the system, however am unsure about this function.

I note for most of the devices it is possible to "Test Detection Zone"

However, when you turn this on, one it seems very very slow, secondly, it does not tell you any information via the app.

How are you meant to tell if it is detecting you or not?

Ajax Systems

Standard Member
AVForums Sponsor
Hi All

With some help (you know who you are) my AJAX System is all set up.

I'd like to test the system, however am unsure about this function.

I note for most of the devices it is possible to "Test Detection Zone"

However, when you turn this on, one it seems very very slow, secondly, it does not tell you any information via the app.

How are you meant to tell if it is detecting you or not?
Hi @rossyl! In test mode, the detector's light indicator lights up continuously, switching off during the alarm. In order to determine the detection area, use the device light indication as a guide. More details in this guide What is Detection Zone Test | Ajax Systems Support

rossyl

Hi @rossyl! In test mode, the detector's light indicator lights up continuously, switching off during the alarm. In order to determine the detection area, use the device light indication as a guide. More details in this guide What is Detection Zone Test | Ajax Systems Support
Thanks.

In Test Mode - the Light on the Device being tested is on continuously. Correct?

If it flashes on then off, does that mean it has detected me?

Thanks

rossyl

Couple of queries

Adding via QR Code is brilliant, however, some of these QR Codes are on the box, not the product. If you ever need to unpair/repair, how would you do this without the box and the correct QR code?

Height/Distance and pets.
Due to hallway configuration, the most sensible place to mount a PIR results in the following
  • 208cm from ground
  • 40cm from a flight of stairs

Where the PIR is mounted by comparison to the stairs means, that anything going up/down the stairs will, at some point
  • be level with the PIR (in terms of height); and
  • only 40cm away.

Could this result in false alarms by a pet?

D

Deleted member 24354

That may result in a false alarm as it will be outside of the 'low sensitivity' zone and in the main detection zone. You may want to try putting the sensitivity to low for this sensor

Please see the Ajax information on this.

Why motion detectors react to animals and how to avoid it | Ajax Systems Blog

This is not a limitation of Ajax but a limitation on the way that all PIRs work

There are alternate methods of adding devices without QR codes on them, specific to those devices. Personally I use my Smart Phone to take Photos of those QR Codes so that I can print them or show them on alternate screen.

I would also suggest that you may wish to spend a little time with some scissors, a notebook and a prit-stick. You can cut each QR Code off the box that it comes in and prit-stick it into a notebook with a written description of each sensor against it, if you are concerned about it. This way you will always have a reference point that you can go back to.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ajax Systems

Standard Member
AVForums Sponsor
Adding via QR Code is brilliant, however, some of these QR Codes are on the box, not the product. If you ever need to unpair/repair, how would you do this without the box and the correct QR code?
Hi @rossyl! You can also check the ID number of each device in the app, make a screenshot of it and tap in manually when reconnecting device to the system.

photo_2021-07-14 11.48.20.png

Or you can also find a QR code of the device directly on its board as well. So for example, while reconnecting SpaceControl or Button, you may open the device and take a picture of its QR code from the board.

rossyl

Thanks both for the good advice.

Will keep a log of the QR Codes

Will also have to look into moving the PIR, but it's a difficult area.

mistys77

Standard Member
Hello All

Where can I purchase these units from? I'm in the UK.

Would be looking to purchase:

1x Ajax Hub Control Panel - GSM & Ethernet (Maybe Wifi)
5x Ajax Motion Protect Wireless PIR
3x Ajax Door Protect Wireless Door Contact
1x Ajax Keypad Wireless Arming Station
1x Ajax Street Siren Wireless Outdoor Sounder
1x Ajax Home Siren Wireless Internal Sounder
2x Panic Alarm

Thanks

Ajax Systems

Standard Member
AVForums Sponsor
Hello All

Where can I purchase these units from? I'm in the UK.

Would be looking to purchase:

1x Ajax Hub Control Panel - GSM & Ethernet (Maybe Wifi)
5x Ajax Motion Protect Wireless PIR
3x Ajax Door Protect Wireless Door Contact
1x Ajax Keypad Wireless Arming Station
1x Ajax Street Siren Wireless Outdoor Sounder
1x Ajax Home Siren Wireless Internal Sounder
2x Panic Alarm

Thanks
Hi @mistys77, if you're an installer and looking for supply only, you can reach out to our approved UK distributors https://ajax.systems/where-to-buy/united-kingdom/distributors/

If you're an end-user, please contact our authorized installers in the UK https://ajax.systems/where-to-buy/united-kingdom/installers/ They sell original products with a manufacturer's warranty and provide prompt technical assistance.

mistys77

Standard Member
Hi @mistys77, if you're an installer and looking for supply only, you can reach out to our approved UK distributors https://ajax.systems/where-to-buy/united-kingdom/distributors/

If you're an end-user, please contact our authorized installers in the UK https://ajax.systems/where-to-buy/united-kingdom/installers/ They sell original products with a manufacturer's warranty and provide prompt technical assistance.
Thanks. I'm an end user but with it being so simple to install don't really want to have to pay someone to install it. I know others who are in the same boat.

Ajax Systems

Standard Member
AVForums Sponsor
Thanks. I'm an end user but with it being so simple to install don't really want to have to pay someone to install it. I know others who are in the same boat.
As a manufacturer, we always recommend professional installation to all our users — it prevents false alarms and guarantees flawless work of the system in a life-critical situation.

More values of professional installation are described in this article Why a security system must be installed by a professional | Ajax Systems Blog

rossyl

Hi

Just wondered if it is possible to change the "Control" settings in the Android app?

Specifically, make it more difficult to activate the "Panic Button" requiring a double tap or long tap, when using the app? (similar to the Space Control device settings)

If not, could this feature please be considered as it is easy to accidentally press the panic button.

Just my view, but I would also consider changing the photo used for the Control in the app, as it is (for some customers) difficult to see the difference between the symbols.

Thanks

Ajax Systems

Standard Member
AVForums Sponsor
Hi

Just wondered if it is possible to change the "Control" settings in the Android app?

Specifically, make it more difficult to activate the "Panic Button" requiring a double tap or long tap, when using the app? (similar to the Space Control device settings)

If not, could this feature please be considered as it is easy to accidentally press the panic button.

Just my view, but I would also consider changing the photo used for the Control in the app, as it is (for some customers) difficult to see the difference between the symbols.

Thanks
Hi @rossyl,

Thanks a lot for the feedback!

Right now, the opportunity to change SpaceControl settings in the Android app is not provided. However, in case you accidentally press Panic Button in the app, there is a 3-second filter which allows canceling the alarm (screen attached).

Also, if you turn on the Group Mode, the design of SpaceControl in the app will be updated - it will feature Text along with the icons

Attachments

• photo_2021-07-26 12.33.36.jpeg
    photo_2021-07-26 12.33.36.jpeg
    12.8 KB · Views: 14

mavrik64

Standard Member
So I’ve just read through the whole thread and wanted to say thank you for the details reviews and q&a. I’m definitely favouring the Ajax at the moment as a replacement for an old wired system that has a short somewhere that the alarm company can’t “fix”. As I said it is old (20years).
The only questions I have are not deal breakers, but in terms us use:
Is there a website that can be used instead of a mobile app?
If I use the mobile app on my phone, what happens if I move iOS to Android (or vice versa)?
Also, what happens if I change my mobile number?
I presume/hope the device registration can be updated for OS or number change?

thanks

Brett

9876ac12

Novice Member
Hi everyone, hope someone can help me... we had this system installed last year by an installer/monitoring company under a 1 year contract, contract is now up so we want to move away from the monitoring company and use the system just through the app but the company say this is not possible as the system is connected to them??? Is there anyway to bypass this??

Maverick567

Hi everyone, hope someone can help me... we had this system installed last year by an installer/monitoring company under a 1 year contract, contract is now up so we want to move away from the monitoring company and use the system just through the app but the company say this is not possible as the system is connected to them??? Is there anyway to bypass this??
My understanding is you should have access in the app to remove the company having access and just delete them from the monitoring station details.

9876ac12

Novice Member
They have cut us off, when I go to the app to add the system its telling me that its connected under another user

Maverick567

I would email Ajax directly, they are quite responsive, see what they say. Ultimately it’s in your house and unless you signed some odd agreement you own if.

Ajax Systems

Standard Member
AVForums Sponsor
So I’ve just read through the whole thread and wanted to say thank you for the details reviews and q&a. I’m definitely favouring the Ajax at the moment as a replacement for an old wired system that has a short somewhere that the alarm company can’t “fix”. As I said it is old (20years).
The only questions I have are not deal breakers, but in terms us use:
If I use the mobile app on my phone, what happens if I move iOS to Android (or vice versa)?

thanks

Brett
Hi Brett!
- For security reasons, there is no website. Only mobile apps.
- Nothing changes. You can access your account from any platform.
- You can change your mobile number in the settings.
- As mentioned, you can access your account from any device and your tel number can be updated in the settings :)

Let us know if there's anything else we could help you with!

Ajax Systems

Standard Member
AVForums Sponsor
Hi @9876ac12! In case you purchased the system (and do not rent it), the security company is obliged to pass the admin rights to you. Please feel free to contact our technical support (via email [email protected] or our Telegram bot @AjaxSystemsSupport_Bot) and we will assist you to solve the issue.

The latest video from AVForums

Movies Podcast: Star Trek in 4K. Is the new boxset worth it?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

T+A announces high end 200 Series audio components
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Trinnov Altitude update adds new features
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Panasonic TVs welcome Disney+
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Audio Research announces I/50 integrated valve amp