Ajax KeyPad Plus - Review

D

Deleted member 24354

New Products

Ajax recently launched 3 new products 2 weeks ago. One of which is the new KeyPad Plus. Ajax were kind enough to send me a unit for review. For the sake of transparency, I did not pay for this unit, but the following review is mine, based on my use and experience of the unit.

IMG_0901.JPG

KeyPad Plus

Out of the box, the first thing that you notice is that KeyPad Plus is manufactured to the same high standards of other Ajax devices. The packaging feels premium but contains minimal materials, other than the light-weight card that it is constructed from. Which saves on weight and the environment. Inside the packaging is the KeyPad Plus itself and the usual self-adhesive alignment strips and a variety of screws and fixings.

IMG_0874.JPG

IMG_0884.JPG

Comparing the KeyPad Plus (KPP) to the existing KeyPad (KP), the first thing that you notice is that it is larger in all dimensions. Its taller, its wider, its thicker. The existing KP measures 150mm (h) x 103mm (w) x 14mm (d) whereas the new KPP measures 165mm (h) × 113mm (w) × 20 mm (d) so its 10% taller, 10% wider and 33% thicker. Its not a huge difference, but it is noticeable. I was hoping that I could just switch out my existing KP for my KPP just by switching the backplates, but they are different. The good news is, the screw hole pattern is identical on both backplates, so you can at least unscrew the old backplate and screw in the new one, using the existing screw holes and wall fastenings.

IMG_0914.JPG

KPP (L) and KP (R) Backplates

Looking at the layout of both units, they are almost identical except that the KPP has the two wireless symbols at the top of the unit to indicate that it is RFID enabled. Otherwise both units have the same symbols and the same membrane keypad, with the 4 State indicator symbols along the top, Armed, Disarmed, Night Mode and Malfunction, with the numeric keypad in the middle and 3 arming mode buttons along the bottom, Arm, Disarm, Night Mode. Like its smaller sibling, KPP comes in two colours, Black and White and has backlit symbols on the keypad. Functionally the KPP operates almost identically to KP with the addition that it can read Ajax RFID Pass (Cards) and Ajax RFID Tags.

IMG_0942.JPG

KPP (Top) vs KP (Bottom) size comparison

IMG_0945.JPG

KP on top of KPP

IMG_0946.JPG

KP (Left) vs KPP (Right) Thickness

IMG_0950.JPG

KP (Top) vs KPP (Bottom) Rear Mounting

Technically, there are some minor differences between KP and KPP. KPP uses 4 Lithium AA batteries where KP uses 4 x AAA Batteries. This equates to a battery life of around 2 Years in KP and 3.5 Years in KPP (with Pass/Tag reading) and 4.5 years without Pass/Tag

DESFire RFID Pass/Tag

The technology in these two RFID devices, Pass and Tag, is not run-of-the-mill RFID Chips, these devices use DESFire technology, which incorporate 128-bit encryption and copy protection.

The KPP itself, supports DESFire EV1, EV2 ISO14443-А (13.56 MHz) technology.

DESFire is recognised as one of the most secure forms of RFID technology and is almost impossible to clone, unlike cheaper RFID systems

Depending on which hub you use it can support up to 200 Pass/Tags on Hub 2 Plus, 99 Pass/Tags on Hub Plus and 50 Pass/Tags on Hub 2. The original Hub does not support KPP.

IMG_0895.JPG

Pass (Top) and Tag (Bottom)

Adding Tags or Pass is like adding a new device, but now you have the option to add Pass/Tag in the Add Device menu. Clicking on add Pass/Tag requires you to choose what type of device you wish to add Pass or Tag and what colour, Black or White. Once added you need to activate your KPP by sliding your fingers down it, this will cause the KPP to wake up, the backlights will light up (including the RFID Symbol) and the unit will beep once. Then you need to put the unit into device logging mode by pressing the disarm key. Once you have done this you need to swipe the Pass/Tag in-front of the RFID symbol to register it on the system. If you are successful, you will be notified in the Ajax App that you have successfully added a new device. The Pass/Tag can be registered to operate up-to 13 different hubs. So, if you have multiple properties to manage or access, you can use the one Pass/Tag to access them all.

Once your Pass/Tag is bound to a Hub it will show a default User as Guest. This then needs to be changed to an existing user account, where the tag will adopt whatever privileges that account has.

At this point you can set-up your KPP to read Pass/Tags in 1 of 2 ways:
  • As a tag that basically just puts in the user code, you then manually have to select what mode you wish, Set, Part Set or Disarmed
  • Easy Armed Mode Change – which allows switching the system security state using a Pass or Tag without confirmation with keypad buttons. This basically allows an alarm mode change, just by swiping the Pass/Tag over the KPP
If users are assigned to Groups and have specific access control to those Groups, adding a Pass/Tag to that users account adds the same control.

My thoughts / experience

I have had KPP live in my system for a week now and I am very impressed on how easy it is to use. I have just ordered another pack of Tags for some of my users, who are not normally in my house, but may need to let themselves in. I have set my KPP to Easy Armed mode so that all they have to do is swipe their tag to Arm / Disarm the system.

Next Steps

The next logical iteration of KPP technology, in my opinion, is an IP Rated Pass/Tag reader that can be installed indoors / outdoors. Not everyone wants to install a keypad for access, neither do they want to give everyone access by an app, especially if you have a lot of employees using Pass/Tags. A stand-alone Pass/Tag reader could be very useful.

Munzz

Nice one Mushii, looks good.

I can only ever see this being used if the customer needs the extras, which personally, I can’t see that being a “must have” in domestic settings. Commercial environments, I can see it being very popular.

D

Deleted member 24354

It’s interesting, keyprox has been one of my most asked for features.

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Which is the best decade for horror movies?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom