Aiwa Powered Sub not working in 5.1 mode

doughy1882

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi

I have an AIWA TS-W37 powered subwoofer. When I use my DVD player connected to my amp through a digital coaxial cable the sub has stopped working. It still works for the sky box and other devices that are connected through phono cables.

The main problem is the sub doesn't work with 5.1/DTS etc.

Any ideas?

I guess it could be the coaxial cable but I thought they were reliable. It hasn't been moved and its a good quality cable.

So maybe it's my amp or my DVD player.../shrug

Hi,

How is the subwoofer connected to your amp? What AV receiver are you using? Does the receiver clearly indicate that it is outputting 5.1 to your speakers?

Will Scarlet said:
Hi,

How is the subwoofer connected to your amp? What AV receiver are you using? Does the receiver clearly indicate that it is outputting 5.1 to your speakers?

It is connected through a single phono type lead.

My AV receiver is a Sherwood RD-7106R.

It jus stopped working one day. The receiver still switches into Dolby Digital or DTS mode and if I do a channel test it cycles through FL, FR, RL, RR and Centre but doesn't test the sub. No sounds comes out of the sub unless I use a device connected via phono leads.

This may be a silly question, forgive me in advance. I'm not familiar with this receiver but am assuming like most receivers it has an option for enabling a subwoofer. Usually something like subwoofer = yes, or no. I'm also unsure as to whether you are saying that it used to work in 5.1 or not. If it did I'm guessing you have a subwoofer or cable problem, if not I'd suggest that you check your receiver regards subwoofer settings. Sorry for the slow response. Good luck.

if the sub is working off of other components but not the dvd then you are proving that the sub and sub cable are ok. try these :

1 Check the co ax connection is good between dvd and amp
2 Try using a phono cable as a substitute for the co ax cable this will prove if the co ax is ok
3 look through the amp settings and make sure the sub setting is switched on
4 on some amps if the front speakers are set to large the sub will not output this can usually be rectified by switching on the eq (equalizer) setting.

Will Scarlet said:
This may be a silly question, forgive me in advance. I'm not familiar with this receiver but am assuming like most receivers it has an option for enabling a subwoofer. Usually something like subwoofer = yes, or no. I'm also unsure as to whether you are saying that it used to work in 5.1 or not. If it did I'm guessing you have a subwoofer or cable problem, if not I'd suggest that you check your receiver regards subwoofer settings. Sorry for the slow response. Good luck.

:suicide:

Thank you all for the advice. I guess I am a total n00b. The sub was turned off in the dolby digital settings. It's amazing what you can find if you read the manual. Weird though, I must have turned it off when I was playing around with it. Don't remember that though, was probably drunk or something.

Good to know you got the sub up and running again. Delighted to have been of some assistance.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom