Aiwa HV-FX7700 - Sound but No Picture

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by phulla, Feb 21, 2003.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. phulla

phulla
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Suddenly, the VCR only produces sound when connected to TV via SCART or standard ( :eek: ) AV cables.

i can say that i believe there is a problem with the tuner, since i get sound but no video... i have tried 3 different SCART cables, which are in good working order and 2 AV cables...

It doesn't just happen when playing video tapes, it also occurs when trying to watch TV via the video channel.

I have tried recording while it has been like this and i can say that it does record, whether it has recorded the picture as well as the sound i can't say.

Does anybody have an exact idea about this problem, or even suffered this with this or any other model?

Can you help? I have skills to repair, i don't have an oscilloscope, thus unable to check the problem...

2. mmm

mmm
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I too have suffered a similar problem - but it has always been because of the Scart lead not being plugged in properly !!

I trust you have checked all the scart leads. For instance, a continuity test on each pin...end to end ?

or even maybe possibly the socket it self if knackered ??

m

3. phulla

phulla
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yep, checked them, not the cables.

4. BigB@dJ@y

BigB@dJ@y
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Try a different VCR and cable

5. phulla

phulla
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What you mean is try the 3 SCART cables i have with another VCR... and this will prove that there is a greater chance of me winning the lottery 3 times in a row than having 3 damaged SCART cables in my house.

It isn't the cable, it isn't the tv, it isn't the wallpaper, it ins't the carpet, it isn't even the next door's pussy! it's the VCR, the tuner in the VCR or some tuner/component related issue.

So i suppose nobody else has had this problem....

How old is my VCR exactly, i know it was voted Best Buy in WhatVideo back in 2000. I've had it since December 2000.

If all else fails, i think i have a case under "The Sale of Goods" act.

The Sale of Goods Act requires goods to be of "satisfactory quality". A video that goes wrong after two years of normal use plainly isn't of satisfactory quality. If the retailer does not comply with this Act by repairing it for free, they are BREAKING THE LAW. This is a brief extract from the Trading Standards leaflet "Guarantees or warranties":

Q. I bought a fridge/freezer about 18 months ago, and the freezer section has completely failed. I went back to the shop, and they refused to do anything as it was outside the original 12 month guarantee. What are my rights?

A. Firstly, when you buy goods from a shop, you enter into a contract under the Sale of Goods Act 1979 (as amended), which holds the shop liable for up to 6 years after purchase, providing that you can show that the problem is down to an unreasonable fault and not normal wear and tear. Secondly, remember that the guarantee is only ever going to be in addition to your legal rights, and is offered by the manufacturer of the goods as a goodwill gesture. Don't be taken in by the shop's argument here - they are using the issue of the guarantee as a red herring to try to avoid their legal obligations toward you. See our leaflet 'Buying Goods' for more information on your rights.

6. BigB@dJ@y

BigB@dJ@y
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Well if its the VCR...get a new one or try the Sale of goods act as youve mentioned...Jeez you offer some help and...pffffft!

7. phulla

phulla
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i was hoping to find some answers on here, since it is a decent VCR i don't want fork out for another one, nor do i wanna get ripped off by some techie who just removes a faulty resistor/capacitor or similar component or even fiddles about with the tuner and then charges for something he has not actually done.... i suppose i need to find a more techincal forum, rather than this hobbist forum.

Apprecaite the help and ideas.

cheers.

8. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    On that note i'll close the thread.

Perhaps you may have had a response more to your likeing had you posted this in the correct forum to start with, hobbiest posters.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.