Aiwa Home Cinema - Please Help!!

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by shaunoc1, Sep 19, 2002.

1. shaunoc1

shaunoc1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello,
    Could someone please give me a bit of advice - and please forgive my ignorance, I am a newbie! I own a Sony DVP-535 player, and have recently been wanting to get a full dolby digital/dts system. In the shop, the salesman told me that in order to do this, I would have to buy a seperate receiver and speakers. He recommended that I instead buy a new all-in-one system. He showed me an Aiwa home cinema system (of which I have read positive reviews). There are two issues I'm wondering about, though:

My television has no S-Video connection, but 2 scarts (one RGB & 1 s-video). The Aiwa dvd player has no Scart output. However, the salesman told me that the video-out (I think they're composite or something?) can be fed into the Scart via a special, inexpensive cable. He said the quality was as good as a pure RGB or S-Video signal. Is this true?

Also, the multi-region upgrade is not to "chip" it (as I did with my last player) but to have an engineer put some sort of disc into it and configure it to play all regions. So after this, the player will detect the region of the disc and change it's own region accordingly. But isn't this exactly the kind of system that Enhanced Regional Coding discs can detect and block?

Thanks for your time,

Shaunoc1

2. Greg Hook

Greg Hook
    Moderator & Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    In a secret location with Jennifer Lawrence
    Ratings:
    +10,337
    Hi

What kind of budget do you have?

These all in one systems are ok if you are on a tight budget but if you can stretch it a bit a amp and speakers system would be much better.

Do you have the model number of this Aiwa system?

I will let someone with some expertise answer the cable question. It seems strange for the DVD player to not have a scart socket.

Greg

3. bob007

bob007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This is the shortfall in many of these all-in-ones, limited connectivity and the upgradability.

Depending on your budget you can normally get a system made up from seperates at a similar price to the all-in-one systems.

TBH this is a far better way to go, nothing stays static for long in the world of HC, there is always something new just round the corner.

If you decide on the AIO system then have a look at the Yamaha range, this company uses seperate amps and dvd players in their HtiB pakages, also some members have recommended the JVC range.

Best advice would be to go and demo some makes and models in your price range, see what you like the sound of, make a short list of the best ones, then do a search here for any fed back, or put a post out for any recommedations on the ones you have chosen. :)

4. hermand

hermand
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Was the salesman from Currys/Dixons by any chance?

Anyway, whatever you do, do not buy the AIWA system. Whatever your budget is, it would be wrong. You already have a reasonably good dvd player, and I'd be very surprised if the picture quality of the AIWA was anywhere near as good. In fact I wouldn't get any all-in-one system that includes a DVD player, but definitely build on the Sony.

Secondly composite video will not be as good as either RGB or s -video in most circumstances anyway.

So, point one, whatever you do, keep the DVD player, and look at what else you need.

Now, it comes down to budget. If you want you can get separates (You'll need an amp/receiver, speakers and possibly a subwoofer) This is probably the best way forward, in terms of quality and upgradeability. However probably not the cheapest and most straightforward. For a cheaper/straightforward solution I'd look at something like the Sony HT-BE1 (can be got for £233 from http://www.qed-uk.com/?i=0Zyt4I38XT08&vp=6&bg=225&bp=be1s&bi=0). I must admit that I have not heard this system myself, but the general feedback from the Internet community has been good. With a system like this you'll get to keep the picture quality of your current DVD player, and I'm sure the sound quality will knock the AIWA into a cocked hat. There you go. Bear in mind it all comes down to your budget though.

Cheers

Herman

5. bob007

bob007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Could be wrong but isn't the Sony DVP 535 D/D only? No DTS. I know the 536 caters for both.

I say this as shaunoc1 is after D/D and DTS.

6. hermand

hermand
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    IIRC The sony 535 will only decode DD on board, but it will output DD and DTS through optical/SPDIF. (certain of that) And that's what he should do, using the offboard decoder in whatever other bit of kit he buys (as long as it has one, but anything that is new will).

Cheers

Herman

7. bob007

bob007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You are correct, DTS stream Output Control, didn't look hard enough for the info that time. ;)

In that case shaunoc1 keep the sony player and as hermand says, look for the other pieces of equipment, amp and speakers. :D

8. shaunoc1

shaunoc1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi everyone, thanks for the prompt replies.
    After looking at your answers and doing some research on the Net, it seems that a composite-thru-scart connection is not at all as good as pure RGB/S-Video, in spite of what the salesman told me. And it wasn't wasn't Curry's/Dixons, Herman, it was just a small electronics shop.

The Aiwa system is a HT-DV90. It was on sale for 400 Euro, plus 50 extra for a multi-region upgrade. What really got me was the DTS decoding built into the machine, cos I've wanted a DTS system for ages. To be honest, the picture quality from it wasn't immaculate but the connection in the shop was actually a composite-thru-scart, and that's why I asked the forum if it was true that it's as good as pure RGB.

So incredibly, the picture from my own humble 3-year old Sony dvp-535 is better - much better. I guess I'll stick with it so, and built on it. Is a built-up system genuinely a lot better than the AIO systems though? I mean, in terms of power, clarity of sound, upgradeability etc. The salesmen would have me believe otherwise...

It seems that what I need is a receiver with DTS decoding and a decent set of speakers. Am I right? If I am, could someone give me a few recommendations.

Thanks again for all the help,

Shaunoc1

9. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +302
    There are very many discount places on the net. Have a look at some and compare.
    >>HERE<<

>>HERE<< .
    That should give you some ideas.Also look out for richersounds discount vouchers in What Hi-Fi every month. :)

and for the Aiwa Here

10. hermand

hermand
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You are absolutely correct.
    Difficult to give advice on which receiver/speakers without a budget though.

You may also want to think about whether you want some sort of sub/sat system, or floorstanders (with/without a sub).

...and do you want monopole/bipole/tripole surrounds...

(welcome to upgrade hell :) )

Cheers

Herman