• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Airport Extreme Base Station

SIP

Hi All

I have read the sticky on Airport/Wireless devices and think I have found the answer to my question, although just to be sure.....

Yesterday, I bought an Apple AEBS from a second hand shop for £25. I have been having problems with my wireless router so thought I would try this with my Mac setup, and for the money it seems excellent. Not sure of the exact model, but I know it does not have the Gig ethernet connections, just the 10/100 x 3.
My question is, can I set it to run some devices at 5Ghz and some at 2.4 (rather than either or) or is this only possible with the newer version as I think I have read in the sticky. It would be nice to have the iMac and Apple TV running at 5Ghz and the iPhone and Mac Mini at 2.4 - can this be done by setting up separate SSID ???

Many thanks

Philip

CamFire

Distinguished Member
Check the model of your AEBS on the base. The ones which support dual-band simultaneous - as per your preferred setup - are A1301 and A1354.

Be default, the dual-band-simultaneous AEBS use a single SSID, but via AirportUtility, you can have that changed to (say) Network-SIP and Network-SIP(5GHz).

EDIT: via AirportUtility, you can also find out what the model is.

Attachments

• aebs_setup1.jpg
    aebs_setup1.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:

SIP

Hi CamFire

Many thanks for your help with this. It has helped me determine that I have the earlier model that does not transmit simultaneously. Still I am very happy with it considering the price I paid. My old Netgear router would not work correctly with the imac on wireless, but would connected by ethernet. The AEBS works fine....apart from one little issue you may be able to help me with.

When I connected the AEBS, one of the first things I did was download Safari 5.0.3. Since I have done this, Safari has started playing up a little. If I click on one of my Bookmark Bar items, Safari will say "cannot connect to server" after numerous re-clicks, it will connect. If I use a different browser, I don't seem to have this issue. I just wondered if it was the AEBS or the new version of Safari.....any ideas?

Thanks

Philip

CamFire

Distinguished Member
For £25, you cannot go wrong.

When Safari complains about the inability to connect, what is shown on the Airport icon? Has it got a exclaimation mark in its middle? I'm guessing it's a Safari issue, so have a go at clearing the cache (or its equivalent - you can tell I am FF person :rolleyes:) in Safari and see what happens.

SIP

Hi

The Airport icon stays exactly the same when it says "Safari can't find the server". There is no exclamation mark.
I have just cleared the cache and tried it again, and it still does it on the odd item. Is it possible to roll back Safari to the previous version and see if the problem still exists?

Thanks

CamFire

Distinguished Member
If another browser or mail client does not experience this issue, then it is a fair bet Safari is choking up. Surely, someone else has this issue then?

Is this similar to what you are encountering? Note the last answer on that thread - something to do with the network settings in Safari.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom