Airport Extreme Base Station - Good choice for FTTC broadband?

D-an-W

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi folks, our ISP is closing soon and FTTC has recently been enabled on the exchange we use. This will require a new Router so was considering the AEBS to connect to the BT modem and give the wired and wireless networks a bit of a speed boost (Gigabit Ethernet and Wireless N).

The PC can boot OSX SL as one of it's three operating systems but I assume the AEBS can be configured from Windows too?

Are there any negatives in getting the AEBS instead of another brand (Other than cost :rolleyes:)?

Did you need new / better etherent cables to get the full benefit? I just found out the new face plate accepts RJ11 / RJ45 so I can posistion the new modem under the desk next to the AEBS when it all arrives.

Thanks, how do you like it as a router?
Apart from the renaming of the common networking terms others (Netgear, DLink, etc) use - such as port forwarding - I hear often about the lack of UPnP. Should not be an issue, but in case you need to know.

Is that nothing that can't be done manually though?

I haven't used the AEBS in "anger" - DMZ, port-forwarding, etc. - but I do know there are a few nice things implemented. Like being able to separate out reserved LAN IP address from the DHCP range - something the consumer Netgear ones (like DG834G[T]) cannot do.

Plus, you get dual-band simultaneous wireless connectivities at 5GHz and 2.4GHz (models A1301, A1354; not A1143).

EDIT: there are plenty of posts re the AEBS and general wireless debugging/complaint/praises/usage in the <Apple Computers, OS and Software> sub-forum so perhaps, you want to try again over there?

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom