AirPort Express vs QED uPlay vs ?

PaddyC90

Standard Member
Reaction score
I want to stream music from both my laptop and iPhone 4 to my amp and floorstanding speakers. From my laptop I would like the flexibility of listening to music playing in my browser or iTunes. From my iPhone I would like to listen to music from either the 'iPod' app or an app I have for listening to online radio.

I would prefer not to have anything too bulky sticking out of my phone or laptop but I understand this may be unavoidable.

I have narrowed the options down to these 2:

1. Airport Express with Airfoil

2. QED uPlay with Creative Bluetooth Transmitters or Sennheizer BTD 300(i) Transmitters

The costs will be fairly similar so this isn't an issue. What do you think about the software with option 1? Will there be any future compatibility update problems. I am also wary of buying into more Apple hardware... it gets expensive.

Which transmitters would you recomend if I go for Option 2?

Are there any other options?

Opinions please.

Welcome to the Forum.

Now that Apple has launched AirPlay, I'd expect that will have long term support and development and Airfoil works with it too. I assume you have iOS4.2 on the iPhone, so going with an Airport Express looks the best bet as having that on the network will enable AirPlay within iTunes 10.x

>or an app I have for listening to online radio<

AFIAK apps are being updated for iOS4.2 and AirPlay support. Spotify app has it already, maybe not everything else is sorted yet.

Last edited:
We have had much success with the uPlay and BTD 300i route especially with the Apt-X able to offer slightly better sound transfer than the standard A2DP. Not had much time to spend with Airplay but bearing in mind it runs over your network, there will be a few standard ip overheads, however not seen any technical specs on the Airplay.

The Apt-X will offer cd quality data transfer from your iphone/ipad or laptop.

The other REALLY good receiver that we use is the Chordette Gem, a bit of money but WELL worth it ;-)

Chord Electronics Chordette Gem Bluetooth Receiver

Regards

Phil @ Custom Cable

Did anyone successfully manage to find a device that they can stream audio to there hi fi via blutooth whilst retaining a decent sound quality?

ive just tried a belkin blutooth music reciever and it sounds like a tin can
:(

Looking for other solutions to stream music via blutooth from my apple mac to my arcam hi fi.

QED uplay?

excuse my ignorance, but what exactly is the point of Airfoil?

EDIT: AirPlay limits you to itunes, Airfoil gets around that?

We have found that the Chordette Gem offers the best sound quality! Either than and get an Arcam rDACkw and a Kleer wireless dongle or this

These have been the best in our mind so far on pretty high end equipment!

Regards

Phil

since you obviously know your stuff, can I ask something?

I've only started reading up on external DACs a few days ago so am relatively new to this?

I was first under the impression that rDAC + rWave (the dongle) = streaming music. Now I keep reading about the rDACkw. What's the difference?

Hiya,

unfortunately it is currently impossible to stream to an rDAC as the rDAC does not come with a Kleer Wireless module, however in the near future an upgrade pack for £75 will be made available for those whom wish to stream. The currently available rDACkw comes from the factory able to stream....so it has the Kleer Wireless module built in as standard. This can then be streamed to using the Opera S5T+ the rWave and rWand all readily available now.

Kindest regards

Phil

Does the gem pair up to be a usb dac also?

Would i be able to connect a second device like a sky box for example to its dac?

The Gem can be used via USB however the dCS asynchronous data transfer on the rDAC makes the rDAC sound better than the GEM over USB. If you would like Chord Electronics and would like to run a secondary device such as your Sky box then you would need to look at the Peach. Due to the dealer restrictions this would need to be purchased from a local Chord Dealer.

Regards

Phil

Hi, sorry another newbie here. Why is anything needed to stream music from the iPhone to high end audio equpment? I have a bluetooth enabled Alpine car Headunit and I use my iPhone 3GS connected to that with no problems and it all sounds pretty good.

Reason I'm asking as I'm close to purchasing a B&W 683 Home Theatre set-up and would like the option of the same for my system.

Is there something I'm missing?

regards

Daniel

Hi, sorry another newbie here. Why is anything needed to stream music from the iPhone to high end audio equpment? I have a bluetooth enabled Alpine car Headunit and I use my iPhone 3GS connected to that with no problems and it all sounds pretty good.

Reason I'm asking as I'm close to purchasing a B&W 683 Home Theatre set-up and would like the option of the same for my system.

Is there something I'm missing?

regards

Daniel

leaving aside the 'playing MP3s on these speakers is pointless' discussion, I believe there are now several receivers (Denon and Marantz if I am not mistaken) that are Airplay enabled, and as such it should be possible to stream music straight to your music system without the need of Airport Express

leaving aside the 'playing MP3s on these speakers is pointless' discussion, I believe there are now several receivers (Denon and Marantz if I am not mistaken) that are Airplay enabled, and as such it should be possible to stream music straight to your music system without the need of Airport Express

Hi thanks for responding but I was after the reason for needing an attachment on the iPhone to make it work when it seems it already does streaming without one now. I have all my music in ALAC (Apples lossless format), does that make a difference to it being worthwhile?

Thanks

Hi thanks for responding but I was after the reason for needing an attachment on the iPhone to make it work when it seems it already does streaming without one now. I have all my music in ALAC (Apples lossless format), does that make a difference to it being worthwhile?

Thanks

Sorry, i still don't quite understand :blush:
What do you mean, attachment on the iPhone? It does streaming in your car because both iPhone and Alpine unit have bluetooth. back to your living room, I am not sure if you can get an AV receiver for your desired B&W 683 system that has bluetooth? ( I am assuming AV receiver because you said home theatre. I myself will stick to stereo for films as well, but that is besides the point as I don't think there are stereo amps with bluetooth).

I think the trouble is that most music streamers are not ALAC friendly, so if that is priority (as it is for me) you might as well get any receiver and stick an AE on to stream your music. (the new AirPlay enabled machines negate the need for AE of course). I bet I have confused you now, or at the very least myself :suicide:

re: file format: some people with superhuman ears will tell you otherwise, but I use ALAC and it's great, and by definition should be equal to all other lossless file formats. (disclaimer: I know nothing about all these bitrate sample shenanigans)

Hi Newbie, thanks again. I was referring to the OP's reference to a dongle or converter if some kind mentioned in his first post. I wondered if this was necessary for the function or if it was a nice to have for better performance/sound quality.

Glad to hear you like ALAC I'm getting excited at the thought if a whole music library at my fingertips via Bluetooth from my MacBook Pro controlled by my iPhone. Budget solution I know but I think it'll free my music and give me a better sound all at once.

Hi Newbie, thanks again. I was referring to the OP's reference to a dongle or converter if some kind mentioned in his first post. I wondered if this was necessary for the function or if it was a nice to have for better performance/sound quality.

Glad to hear you like ALAC I'm getting excited at the thought if a whole music library at my fingertips via Bluetooth from my MacBook Pro controlled by my iPhone. Budget solution I know but I think it'll free my music and give me a better sound all at once.

that's great, I am actually considering the 683s myself right now and looking into how to stream my ALAC iTunes library, so i am quite curious about your choices etc

We have had much success with the uPlay and BTD 300i route especially with the Apt-X able to offer slightly better sound transfer than the standard A2DP. Not had much time to spend with Airplay but bearing in mind it runs over your network, there will be a few standard ip overheads, however not seen any technical specs on the Airplay.

The Apt-X will offer cd quality data transfer from your iphone/ipad or laptop.

The other REALLY good receiver that we use is the Chordette Gem, a bit of money but WELL worth it ;-)

Chord Electronics Chordette Gem Bluetooth Receiver

Regards

Phil @ Custom Cable

Are you sure APT-X is only for the PX/C range?
Pretty lame if that's true...

One of the main reasons I bought a MM100, is because I thought buying a BTD300i would add APT-X.
Partfinder > BTD 300i
Sennheiser ---Headphones accessories

I've had a closer look at the entire range and I think you might be right :(
I was eventually going to get a mm450 too, but if apt-x is not included I may have to rethink that.

I'm new to all this but wanted to check in order to play music from my iPhone or iPod on my stereo do I just need the uplay or do I need something plugged into the phone/ipod

Also what is this apple air express is that a better option?

I want to connect iPhone 4 to a technics dv290

Last edited:
Last edited by a moderator:
-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom