Airport Express - Lock to 2.4GHz n Only?

Discussion in 'Apple Forum' started by bpsmith, Jan 2, 2012.

1. bpsmith

bpsmith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +709
    Have an Airport Extreme and an Express to extend the signal and all working fine for a while now. Have just set up my new ATV2 and checked the settings on my Express. My Extreme broadcasts on both 2.4GHz and 5GHz, but the Express only extends the 2.4GHz out of choice. The Extreme is set to only use n standard on the 2.4GHz, but the Express is still broadcasting b, g and n. Is there any way to limit what the Express broadcasts whilst in WiFi Extend mode?

2. NewfieDrool

NewfieDrool
    Suspended

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,154
    Hope someone can help you with this as I'm very interested in the outcome.
    I about about to purchase 2 airport extremes and another time capsule. I purchased a TC for my friend for Christmas and I want to get her the extreme to connect to her infinity modem so that she has the ability to extend the network when needed. Plus Apple seem to be very good when working together.
    I'm going to connect the extreme to my BT home hub 2 and the time capsule will be in the same room as my Mac and as above I can extend if needed. When BT finally correct the issue with my cabinet which has so far taken 5 months!! I should be on infinity and will be a happy chap.

3. bpsmith

bpsmith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +709
    Nobody else knows the answer it seems.

From what I can tell, you can't adjust the Radio Mode when Extending Your WiFi Network. If you enable or options the Radio Mode option appears. Doh!

I may try a different way of setting up and post back once tested...

4. NewfieDrool

NewfieDrool
    Suspended

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,154
    I've just setup my Extreme on my BT broadband and I wondered if you had any luck?

I did notice that under manual setup and wireless setting you can see the radio mode. If you hold the option key down and and click on the arrows it brings up a lot of options. Under these options you can do as you like instead of the 2 options it gives as standard.
    Oh and I love it. Have it setup through my BT hub while await for Infinity to be installed and was very easy to setup. All that's left is the TC.
    I have set it up with 2.4 and 5Ghz at the moment. Not sure how all this works but it's fun!

Edit... This Extreme flys!!! It's a vast difference to both my home hub 2 and home hub 3 wireless capabilities. Worth every penny as pages now open super quick. No idea why the BT hubs were so slow.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2012
  5. bpsmith

bpsmith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +709
    No luck or replies unfortunately. If you set the Express to extend the WiFi from your Extreme then you don't have access to the same settings. It just uses the default radio modes.

I have always had the Extreme locked down to only n standard radio mode, but can't force the Express to do the same.

I have the HomeHub2, until next week when I move to Sky, and the Extreme is seriously fast in comparison too. Still using the Hub as a modem but with everything else disabled. Works well but will move to a simple Draytek modem only unit sometime soon I reckon.

6. NewfieDrool

NewfieDrool
    Suspended

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,154
    Thanks for the update.

7. NewfieDrool

NewfieDrool
    Suspended

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,154
    Managed to set my friends TC up ok with infinity. Went thought the auto setup and then altered the PPPoE and away it went. can't get the 5ghz as she's way to far away but once again nice and quick and that bit faster than her home hub 3.
    Still can't get the printer to print wirelessly that she has but I believe as its a g rated device it's not seeing a signal as I could not find the network. She's back to a cable again but it's not to bad. She's happy and so am I.

8. bpsmith

bpsmith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +709
    Result then! Nice one fella.

I am hoping to move my Extreme to high up under my stairs soon, in order to maximise the coverage and hopefully remove the Express completely. Can then test the extremities of the house and see how I get on. Also plan to finally wire Ethernet throughout and use the 24 port Netgear Pro Switch I got months ago.

The plan being to wire the NAS, iMac, Mini and the ATV's with the iPad and iPhones solely using n standard WiFi on their own. Should be a perfect setup that way.

9. NewfieDrool

NewfieDrool
    Suspended

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,154
    Thanks.
    Sounds good. Lots of connections on your setup. I get confused with one!!!

Still I am slowly getting use to the Macs and the other Apple gear and so far it's been great. My poor old Windows machine is sat in the corner gathering dust at the moment.

Now the only thing that I am confused about on my setup is that somehow I have created Dual bands so I can pick 2.4 or 5 from the network. This is great as I can use my MacBook and iPad on the 5Ghz and my Windows setup on the 2.4 as it will not like the 5Ghz.
    I do notice when the MacBook boots up from fresh or sleep it will attach to the 2.4 as its the strongest signal. Not sure if I can force the MacBook onto the 5Ghz channel from start up?

Edit.. Just setup the Extreme upstairs and on 5Ghz is reads transmit rate 450 and on 2.4Ghz it reads transmit rate 176. No idea what it all means but I take it it's a nice connection. The 2.4Ghz is still the strongest according to AirRadar at 67% with 5Ghz at 60% signal strength.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2012
  10. NewfieDrool

NewfieDrool
    Suspended

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,154
    Sorted out the force to connect to the 5Ghz on the MacBook.
    I went to preferences,network and deleted all the networks apart from the 5Ghz one and now it connects on start up to my 5Ghz :)

11. mikelj

mikelj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +484
    The only comment I'd make is that depending on the distance from (and walls in between) your router, the 5GHz data rate can drop to below what you would achieve using the 2.4GHz network; at least that's my experience, so now I just let my MBP connect automatically (to the strongest signal).

12. NewfieDrool

NewfieDrool
    Suspended

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,154
    That's very true. I was not getting such a good signal with the Extreme downstairs but now it's in the same room it's flat out. The 2.4 though still has that bit better strength.
    Mind you it's made very little difference to my speed when i test it as I'm not on a fast connection as such but it sure is snapper when browsing the Internet than the home hub was.
    I had the same results today at my friends, her browsing is just quicker than her home hub too. What did surprise me was even at her distance from the base she had max download speed as I also tried it cabled so I was very happy.
    We both have new 17 inch MacBooks and are well happy with the way they work. Worth the money so far:)