AirPort Express Base Station with Ipad 2 help

Meridius

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi all

I now have a ipad2 and want to stream music from my ipad 2 to my amp by wireless will a AirPort Express Base Station work ?

I know the AirPort Express Base Station has a optical out so i can plug in a optical jack tot eh optical of the amp but i was woundering how do you setup the ipad 2 to the AirPort Express Base Station ?

cheers

You need a mini tos to tos cable. Then in airport utility set up the AP Ex to enable airtunes.

Then when you play itunes on the ipad 2 in the top left corner next to the volume you will see an airplay button. Press that ans select the air port you require, that's it. Make sure your IPad is connected to the air port through wifi also.

Cheers.

As i have a pc Does the airport need to be connected to the network hard wired all the time or just to set it up or can u even set it up by wireless ?

Is there a way to protect it also ?

So u can use it as a wifi extender to your router or if u don't want it connected to your network u can do that to and just gave it connected to the iPad without it even conected to the router wifi

Sorry for all the questions but is there a good guide that I can read or show u different ways of using it

Cheers

Cheers.

As i have a pc Does the airport need to be connected to the network hard wired all the time or just to set it up or can u even set it up by wireless ?

Is there a way to protect it also ?

So u can use it as a wifi extender to your router or if u don't want it connected to your network u can do that to and just gave it connected to the iPad without it even conected to the router wifi

Sorry for all the questions but is there a good guide that I can read or show u different ways of using it

Cheers

Cheers so this does work from iPad to the plug as the PDF says nothing about the iPad and playing music straight from it

Thanks

Yes. Exactly the same with an iPad as with an iPod touch or iPhone. If you are looking for an air port express try the apple refurbish store as they are cheaper.

Cheers

Does the sound quality degrade at all of is it cd quality just as good as a wired device

Any faults with it at all

I found one fault with it the price Jesus did not relies how much it was going to try and get a 2nd hand one I think

I've got an Airport Express connected to my amp in the living room and although I have an iPad and an iPhone I use Apple's Remote app to stream the music from my full iTunes library to the AE.

If you don't have/want a PC on 24/7 then you can still stream the music that is stored locally too.

With regards to quality, I ripped our CD collection to 320Kbps and it sounds great to my ears!

I'm not an audiophile, so someone else may think it's not that great, but for sheer ease and convenience it can't be beaten IMO.

Also, they are circa £60 delivered from the Apple Refurb store: http://store.apple.com/uk/product/FB321B/A?mco=MTA4MjcyODY :smashin:

HTH.

Last edited:
It is as good as the music you are playing as I believe the optical does not degrade the signal to the amp. Search the forums as there is some discussion about that very subject. Don't know if it is any lower on wireless but I suppose it depends on the strength of the signal from your router.

Did you look at the apple refurb store?

Have just received an airport express and extreme from the refurb store and they came packaged the same as new. If it did not say on the label that it was refurb there would be no way of knowing as the packaging was the usual high standard.

Last edited:
Hi all sorry been busy,

So do these refurb ls come in the same retail box sealed ? Like new.

What's wroung with the refurbs how do they have these and do apple stores sell these to ?

Oh what is WDS as my router does not support it do I
Need it and what does it do ?

Cheers

Last edited:
Some are simply unwanted units returned under Apple's 14 day return policy and some are faulty units that have been repaired, but all come with the same guarantee as a new unit and are sometimes in absolute mint/as new condition.

Well worth it if you can bag one IMO.

WDS is a 1 touch security setup, if you're router doesn't support it just use WPA-PSK.

Sent from my iPhone using the AVForums app

cheers

do they come in the orig box ? or a plain box

cheers

Last edited:
Original packaging. As I said, you couldn't tell the difference if the label was removed. Note the delivery time was 8 days through Royal Mail which was a pain!

might just get one from amazon £72 new free post and not much more than apple for the refurb with postage £62

mmm what to do

Never mind the apple store priced matched amazon and got one for £70, just hope it all works and hopefully easy to setup

Just a thought when I turn this plug on will the music Side of the ipad pick the wifi plug and the Internet side of it still use my router wifi ? As I don't realy want to use the plug for internet wifi just my router.

Will it do it automatically or will I have to keep going into the wifi settings of the iPad to keep changing it ? Cheers

It will all be in how you setup your express, you will want it to join your existing network, rather than become an access point or wireless router.

Hi all just setup the apple airport express and just a couple of questions.

I have plugged the airport into my sitting room using a network cable as I have a switcher in the living room which then connects to the router.

Q1 I turned off the wifi of the airport as I have said I do not need to use it as I have connected it using a cable and the question is I have set a password for the music side of it so when you select the living room it pops up a password to let the iPad join and send music to the airport, does this use the WPA-PSK 2 security as I did select it for the wifi part of it in the airport before I turned it off as people could find the network and try to log on is it just as safe as the wifi side of it ?

Q2 I don't know but when I did have the wifi turned on on the plug I could not find any option to stop the broadcast of the SSID name as I don't like to broadcast it at all is there no way of turning the broadcast name off.

Q3 I am using a very high quality jack to phono stereo plug would this just be as good sound as optical as I will be only listening to music.

Q4 when I send music to the amp does it work like this

Wired
IPad > router > airport cable > amp

Wifi selecting
iPad > router wifi> airport wifi
Or
iPad > airport > router

I am trying to figure out how the music side communicates to the airport or router where it send the music

Or does it send the music to the plug string away and not the router so like this

iPad > airport > amp, bypassing the router

Can you select which wifi you want to use the airports or routers depending where you are in the house ? When wanting to use the Internet.

So it would be different for data and not music like this

iPad Internet > airport > router > Internet

The thing is I thought u could use this without plugging it into the ethernet

Q5 so if you turn off wifi you have to use Ethernet to communicate with the airport if u turn on wifi on the airport u don't need the Ethernet

Cheers for any info

Last edited:
hi all

got a couple of questions

Q1 how do you enable no name broadcast on the airport wifi ? as i dont want my name broadcast
Q2 which is the most secure option to pick for wifi ?
Q3 how can you enable mac addrerss devices only for even more security and to stop other devices joining as i have my mac address typed into my router but can not find this option on the airport

is there anything i should look out for when creating a wifi access point as my airport is also connected using a netwrok cable using dhcp to the router as i have a network cable in the same room.

cheers

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom