AirPort Express Base Station and AirTunes

Discussion in 'Apple Forum' started by elliotjames, Feb 4, 2009.

1. elliotjames

elliotjames

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Hi
    Is this the correct way to do this?
    My macmini is upstairs connected via ethernet to cable modem down stairs

1 Connect the ethernet from mac to cable modem via an ethernet switch
    2 Connect to AE from switch via ethernet
    3 Connect to amp via optical
    4 Control this via an Ipod touch which will enable me to view the tracks on itunes?
    5 If my mac upstairs cant see the itouch will the AE downstairs enable me to control itunes?

Thanks

EJ

2. JUS

JUS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +322
    You don't mention wireless network anywhere...here's how it works..

I have my Mac upstairs plugged into a wireless router (using ethernet cable but could also be over wireless).

I then have my express wired to my amp downstairs.

My Mac then streams the music over my wireless network to the express downstairs.

My Touch connects to my wireless network and my itunes on my Mac using an app called Remote - which I downloaded from the apple store.

Hope that helps :)

3. elliotjames

elliotjames

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Hi
    Thanks for your reply, I dont have wireless as where my mac is located it didnt work very well hence thats why I use ethernet.
    Also as I understand it, if I use ethernet to connect to the airtunes I can use the DAC in my amp instead of the apple one, if that makes any difference!

I was looking at apple tv but as I have an old crt would have to use a convertor to change from component to scart which adds about £80 so was getting abit expensive.
    Then I saw you could control itunes via an itouch I would then not need a display when selecting music.

Thanks

4. Jaunty

Jaunty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +298
    I'm afraid don't know about ethernet making a difference as to what dac you can use? I do know that the airport express (AEX) has optical out (mini toslink) which will happily feed wirelessly received apple lossles airtunes to your Arcam AVR300. You can then use the dac in the Arcam as you hoped. Sounds great.

I have 4 AEX and it works well. I use an app called Airfoil by Rogue Amoeba more than Airtunes as I find it slightly more reliable, and it can stream any audio not just Airtunes (notably BBC Radio 6 Adam & Joe on iPlayer listen again, and Last.fm.). The microwave still tends to knock things out though but it all kicks back in afterwards.

The iPod Touch remote app has made things even better, to the point where I don't feel I am missing out too much with out going for a Sonos set up. One thing I am not 100% sure of though want to mention. I think the iPod remote app needs to connect to the Mac with the with the iTunes library being controlled. If you are using ethernet to the AEX cos the wifi is not good enough
    you should try and check this as the remote may not work.

5. JUS

JUS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +322
    Yes, As Jaunty said. It's not how you stream to your Airport it's how you connect from Airport to amp. If you use phono then the airport will convert to analogue. if you use optical then it'll give your amp digital to convert.

iPod remote uses wireless to connect to your Mac. One option is to plug your ethernet into the airport express and tell it to act as your wireless router. I've not tried it but I'd expect that would then communicate wirelessly to your ipod and take the ipod commands via your ethernet to your mac.

6. Chester

Chester

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +728
    If you can get that working, you're configuring you Mac Mini to work with the IP address supplied by cable, and another by some other means to contact the AirPort Express. I really don't know how you're managing to achieve a NATted network here.

How it should connect from the incoming cable line:

1) Line from Virgin Media/NTL/Telewest/<whoever> connects to cable modem and offers a public Ethernet interface

2) Connect public Ethernet interface via CAT5 patch lead to a router, like any of the Apple AirPort routers. The stumbling block here is that the Express can connect to this via its single connector, but then only offer a NATted service over wireless.

3) Connect the Ethernet switch to the LAN side of the router, and then all of your networking devices into the switch as well, creating your own network. The fundamental part that makes this a private network is that you use a private IP address range (I'll go into this later if you need me to) and in an Apple router, use Internet > Internet Connection > Connection Sharing > Share a public IP address.

The noted stumbling block in point 2 can be overcome by replacing your switch with a router. This doesn't have to be an Apple router, a Linksys or Netgear router for use with cable modems with Ethernet interfaces will be fine. If the router does not have enough LAN sockets on the back, then use a network switch to expand your network.

Hope this info helps...

Last edited: Feb 9, 2009
  7. elliotjames

elliotjames

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Thanks for the info guys.

I bought an itouch and AE today.

However I didnt have time to set it up with the AE so tried to use my mini as a base station which worked to a degree as the itouch was showning as seeing the wireless connection but when I tried to use Safari it said no network connection.
    Tried the sharing settings but no joy.
    Will give it another go tommorrow when I have more time.

Chester I may come back to you on this

3) Connect the Ethernet switch to the LAN side of the router, and then all of your networking devices into the switch as well, creating your own network. The fundamental part that makes this a private network is that you use a private IP address range (I'll go into this later if you need me to) and in an Apple router, use Internet > Internet Connection > Connection Sharing > Share a public IP address.

Thanks

8. DeathFromAbove

DeathFromAbove

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Sorry to jump in late here... I'm guessing a decent amp will do a better job at converting the digital signal than the AEX? Can anyone point me towards a suitable digital cable to connect the AEX to my amp (Yammy 1700 - plenty of spare inputs).

Thanks in advance,
    Ad.

9. Jaunty

Jaunty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +298
    No need to spend silly money, this will be fine :smashin:

1m Toslink to Mini Toslink (3.5mm Minijack) Optical Cable Only £4.88 at TVCables

10. elliotjames

elliotjames

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    A quick update as I now have added the AE and setup a wireless network.
    As usual with all my apple gear up and working in 5 mins :thumbsup:

Just need to get a female to male toslink adaptor then try it with my amp.
    Also downloaded the remote app for the itouch and this seems to work ok.

Another top job apple :clap: