Airport connection problems

bellso

Haven't turned my G5 Powermac on for a while, but now it won't join my wireless network:mad:

It can see it's there, as well as next door [on another channel] so i guess my extreme card it working, but when i try join it just says 'connection timeout'

Tried network assistant, diagnostics etc but it just wont have it.

Anyone any clues as to why it would change all of a sudden?

MyRDXS

I used to get this, but I found by going into "System Preferences">Network >Advanced and click the Airport tab. In here you will see a list of preferred networks. Make sure yours is in the list, if not add it in and enter its password (WEP or WPA) and click "remember any network this computer has joined" tick box. This may help to retain networks that you have.

3) Note - sometimes weak wireless signals can often not show up, but I too have seen this in the past when I know my router is giving out a strong signal but Airport sometimes doesn't show it, fairly rare this for me anyway.

bellso

Tried that and it wont have it. Try join, it asks for password, click ok and it tries to join then says 'connection timeout'.

Macstumbler is showing a 70% signal. Weird!!:(

edit - restarted and it says no prefered networks available - even though it is deffo there. Grrrrrrrrrrr.

Last edited:

CamFire

Distinguished Member
Launch KeyChainAccess (from Utilities) and delete the key(s) for the Airport. Then try re-connecting.

bellso

Not even there. Doesn't seem to want to save it as a preffered network.

Last edited:

CamFire

Distinguished Member
You're sure you got the passphrase/password correct? Or WPA/WPA2 (with TKIP, AES or both possibilities) compatibility? Try configuring the wireless AP/router with no security and see if you can get your G5 to connect.

bellso

Am copying exactly the same settings that are on my macbook into the G5 [and have the settings that came with skybox, are the same] .

Lost with this.............

B

BA Baracus

Can you tell me what wireless access point you are trying to connect to?

If it is an airport express then what you are describing is a common fault and I might be able to assist (had the exact same error messages that you describe).

bellso

Is a standard sagem router that came when I got sky bband. Works great with my MacBook and mini.

bellso

Can you tell me what wireless access point you are trying to connect to?

If it is an airport express then what you are describing is a common fault and I might be able to assist (had the exact same error messages that you describe).

Can you let me know what you have done? - i know it's not an airport express, but could solve my problem. Dont use the powermac often, but it's damn annoying that i can get online when i need it.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: LG C1 OLED + JBL Synthesis SDR-35 First Thoughts, plus TV Show & Disc Reviews & more
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom