Airpods Pro failing ear tip test.

mij

Hi, I am curious to know if others on here are having problems with their ear tip test failing?

To explain, I am now on my third set of Airpod Pros since last september. When new they pass the ear tip test first time and everytime and sound good with good noise cancelling, but within a month or two the noise cancelling is less effective along with a reduction in the bass levels with music, and one or both of them consistently fails the ear tip test regardless of the size of tips used. After wasting my time doing resets and trying all of the the different size tips etc..Apple replace them and they are perfect again for a while, until the same happens all over again a few months later.

I am beginning to think there is a hardware design problem as Apple change them with very little fuss, what happens when the warranty has expired is my concern.

hippo99

Distinguished Member
Hi, I am curious to know if others on here are having problems with their ear tip test failing?

To explain, I am now on my third set of Airpod Pros since last september. When new they pass the ear tip test first time and everytime and sound good with good noise cancelling, but within a month or two the noise cancelling is less effective along with a reduction in the bass levels with music, and one or both of them consistently fails the ear tip test regardless of the size of tips used. After wasting my time doing resets and trying all of the the different size tips etc..Apple replace them and they are perfect again for a while, until the same happens all over again a few months later.

I am beginning to think there is a hardware design problem as Apple change them with very little fuss, what happens when the warranty has expired is my concern.
I’ve read that the speaker grilles on the inside that touches your skin, can get partially blocked with dead skin/dust.

I’ve read people use blue tack on the grille to clean it. Don’t let the blue tack get too soft & just dab at the grille.

mij

Thanks, I have tried that with no success and do keep them very clean.

The lack of a response on here it seems to mean it isn't a widespread problem, although I find it very hard to believe that I have just been unlucky three times.

Ignominious

Mine failed the ear tip test along time ago. I presumed it was a failing of the ear tips I was using over time of use? I subsequently swapped to memory foam tips and they have never passed presumably because of the material used in their manufacture.

I've stopped worrying about the ear tip test to be honest. If it sounds right then it is right to my ears.

Steven

Senior Moderator
Is it one side or both? Some need different ear tip sizes for each side

Or maybe try buying aftermarket tips that offers more sizing than the three sizes by Apple

Try cleaning the tips with just plain water no chemicals?

Last edited:

mij

It is not the tips as I have tried every possible combination including memory foam alternatives, the replacements from apple included new eartips which I tried on my faulty pair before returning them, they still failed the test.

If failing the ear tip test was all that happened I would accept that, unfortunately for me it has always included a reduction in the effectiveness of the noise cancelling along with a reduction in the bass with music.

I am Autistic and use the noise cancelling without any music a lot as certain types of noise bother me, so I probably notice any reduction in it's effectiveness more than others.

Ignominious

Have you contacted Apple directly in that case?

AirPods Pro are not my best noise cancelling headphones or my best sounding headphones either but they are small, convenient and integrate fantastically well with my other apple products. The trade off in sound quality/ANC is there more than offset by the other positive features.

I can live with this but it sounds like it is more of an issue for you unfortunately?

mij

Have you contacted Apple directly in that case?

AirPods Pro are not my best noise cancelling headphones or my best sounding headphones either but they are small, convenient and integrate fantastically well with my other apple products. The trade off in sound quality/ANC is there more than offset by the other positive features.

I can live with this but it sounds like it is more of an issue for you unfortunately?
Three times and each time Apple have replaced them.

I also have much better headphones/earphones and also like the convenience of these, I do not like walking around with the better ANC alternatives like my Sony WH-1000M3 that I recently sold, and unfortunately I am not happy to accept or live with faulty earphones...The difference between the faulty sets and the replacements just on the amount of bass is huge, less so with the ANC but still noticeable.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic JZ2000 Final Thoughts - TV Calibration: Should you? And More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom