AirPods pro and Tidal HiFi

adriandg

Novice Member
I’ve had a new pair of AirPods pro for a couple of months and have been an Apple Music subscriber for a good few years and am happy with the service and the AirPods. I stream my music from my iPhone X to my AirPods pro.
Yesterday I saw a cyber Monday offer for tidal hifi subscription tier for £1.99 for 120 days. I thought for that price there’s nothing to lose.
Anyway I have listened to identical tracks on Apple Music and Tidal (I have set this to hifi quality) and to be honest I can hear very little between the two.
As one is encoded at 256kbps and the other should be 1411kbps I would have thought the difference would be very noticeable.

That got me wondering is there a limitation on the transfer over Bluetooth from the phone to the AirPods. I have looked on the internet and cannot find a definitive answer.

Does anybody have any thoughts?

JayCee

Distinguished Member
That got me wondering is there a limitation on the transfer over Bluetooth from the phone to the AirPods

Yes there is, the same as to any Bluetooth wireless headphones.
Read up on AAC and SBC.
The highest audio quality is available if both the sending device and receiving device use the aptX protocol and it's variants but Apple don't support it via the iPhone.

Moonda

The highest audio quality is available if both the sending device and receiving device use the aptX protocol and it's variants but Apple don't support it via the iPhone.
& this is what i'm most anticipating from Apple.

HD Audio over Bluetooth is the next frontier, so i'm eager to see baby steps toward that sooner rather than later...

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic JZ2000 Final Thoughts - TV Calibration: Should you? And More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom