• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Question Airplay Sky Q on iOS to Sonos?

Tellymonsta

Novice Member
Hi folks,

I have a new iPad and using the Sky Q app to stream video. Is it possible to output audio to Sonos rather than use the iPad speakers?

Thanks!
Ian

Cebolla

You should be able to, via AirPlay - as far as I'm aware Sky's AirPlay block on its apps is for video, not audio.

This assumes your Sonos setup has at least one Sonos device that supports AirPlay 2, ie, Sonos One, the second generation Play:5, Playbase and Beam. However, if you Sonos setup consists entirely of other Sonos devices, then no.

Last edited:

Tellymonsta

Novice Member
You should be able to, via AirPlay - as far as I'm aware Sky's AirPlay block on its apps is for video, not audio.

This assumes your Sonos setup has at least one Sonos device that supports AirPlay 2, ie, Sonos One, the second generation Play:5, Playbase and Beam. However, if you Sonos setup consists entirely of other Sonos devices, then no.
Thanks. I don’t see an “Airplay button” in the Sky Q iOS App - I assume this is required to send audio via Airplay, therefore I don’t think this is possible.

I’m comparing to YouTube, for example, where there is an AirPlay button and I can send audio to AirPlay / Sonos.

Cebolla

It's likely that Sky have deliberately not provided an AirPlay button on its Sky Q iOS app to highlight that they've blocked video AirPlay.

You should still be able to select the AirPlay 2 supporting Sonos device as an AirPlay speaker in the normal alternative way from the iPad's Control Center.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom