• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Airplay better than HDMI?

Alex855

Novice Member
Hi folks,
I will really appreciate if anyone can help me sorting out my problem..let's see if I am lucky:

I bought an A/V receiver sony str-dn1040 to power up my Monitor audio bronze bx2 5.0, I will get the sub later on from Bk, my problem is that playing spootify for example, trough my Ipad Air I can tweek the sound how I like using the A/V receiver settings...sterio,pure direct, multistereo etc and it really sounds amazing.
The issue comes from the Cpu, I have a nvida gtx 580 connected to the A/V rec. through the HDMI and it looks like it is the computer who is choosing how the sound must be played, I can not change any parameter from it using my A/V receiver, I mean that if I play spootify o any youtube video the sound always is Stereo, It doesn't matter if I change in the menu pure direct or multistereo the sound, it always comes out in the same way. When I am playing a computer game or downloaded episode in hd quality the sound is surround...It is strange than when playing through the Ipad I can do whatever I want.
Finally, I bought a separate sound card, asus dgx 5.1 and I can not get any sound through the toslink, I went to iputs, choose the sound to come trough the optical 1 as it is connected, choose in sounds, in the windows 7 the sound card as the primary device...nothing work, I reinstalled the drivers 3 times and nothing...I am getting mad...because I spent more than 1000 pounds and It is not fair!!!

Thanks in advance!
Bye

dante01

Distinguished Member
The two are not comparable and both serve entirely different purposes. For a start, Airplay cannot fascilitate video in conjunction with those AV that incorporate it. HDMI is simply a means by which to convey both audio and video digital daya from A to B. Airplay is Apples own take on RTSP. Airplay is used in relation to wireless networks while HDMI isn't used for networking at all.

You can apply DSP to any audio accessed and delivered to an AV receiver via HDMI. HDMI isn't the cause f your issues. Your issue appears to have more to do with your PC than anything else?

Last edited:

Ghostrider

Established Member
What software are you using on the PC to source your video / sound?

Alex855

Novice Member
Hi again,many thanks for answering. I am currently using windows 7,my motherboard,asus p8z68-V had a integrated soundcard realtek that was not able to produce any sound trough the spidif, everything looks like if it was working, in fact, 2 guys from pc world came to my home and couldn't find anything wrong apart from the lack of any sound...i bought a new soundcard, asus 5.1 dgx and the same problem, no sound but the rest of it working aparently without issues, i bought the apple tv, now I can watch everything and tweek it from the a/v receiver menu, what is cool but, the sound through the apple tv is worse than trough airplay. I thought that wires were always better than wiressly, in terms of quality...

dante01

Distinguished Member
The audio you get via the wired netwrk connection and that accessed via wifi will be the exact same audio if the files you are accessing are the same files. You are imagining things if you think otherwise. A wired network connection is better in terms of bandwith, but audio wouldn't be effected by this. HD video can becoming choppy and may require buffering over a wifi network, but audio requires far less bandwidth when compared to video streaming. The files you access are carried over a network and are not decoded until they reach their destination. The device that does the decoding and amplification with determine the resulting quality and not the means by which the digital data was conveyed. Do you think you get better MS Word documents via a wired netwok compared to those accessed via wifi?

Last edited:

Alex855

Novice Member
I know where you come from and that is why I posted the current title of this post. The fact is that when I change from one setting to another the volume changes automatically, whatever my effords for paring both devices, trough the ipad for example when I reach 30, it is so loud, with the pc I need to reach 56 to get the same volume and yes, I know what I am doing, everything is cheked. The bits shoud be the same but, it happends the same through the apple tv and the optical spidf....it is crap or there is a magic botton hidding somewhere, I do not know what is it for...but, I am still not able to use it at all.

Ghostrider

Established Member
When it comes to volume you always have at least 2 means of controlling it - 1 the amp and 2 - the source.

Without seeing exactly the settings on the PC it is hard to make any really helpful suggestions as it could be one of potentially dozens of things.

For example if you are playing through iTunes you have a volume control in the iTunes software, you have a master volume control on the PC and you have volume control on the amp.

The latest video from AVForums

CES 2023 Round Up: New TV Lineups for 2023 from LG, Samsung, Panasonic, Hisense & TCL
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom