Question Aircraft License already, does it help?

waring192

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I retired from commercial flying around two years ago and hold a ATPL with around 2300 hours flying time. Now I just use my class 2 medical for private flying occasionally.

I hold/had the follow:
  • ATPL Theory
  • MET Rating (King Air) (normally single crew but we operated dual crew in the AOC environment)
  • IR Rating
  • CPL License
  • Class 1 medical but now is just a class 2
Do I get any kind of credit towards holding a commercial drone license with the above credentials?

Many thanks

Hello all,

I retired from commercial flying around two years ago and hold a ATPL with around 2300 hours flying time. Now I just use my class 2 medical for private flying occasionally.

I hold/had the follow:
  • ATPL Theory
  • MET Rating (King Air) (normally single crew but we operated dual crew in the AOC environment)
  • IR Rating
  • CPL License
  • Class 1 medical but now is just a class 2
Do I get any kind of credit towards holding a commercial drone license with the above credentials?

Many thanks

Yes. I believe you can skip the ground school, just have a flight test (which would only take a few hours) and then apply for your PfCO.

I did my training with FlyBy, and they offer a fast track course. It's probably worth paying for support in creating your operations manual as well.

manned aviation drone course | Flyby Drone Training

Yes. I believe you can skip the ground school, just have a flight test (which would only take a few hours) and then apply for your PfCO.

I did my training with FlyBy, and they offer a fast track course. It's probably worth paying for support in creating your operations manual as well.

manned aviation drone course | Flyby Drone Training

Many thanks. Good news (don’t hear that oftern in aviation!) regarding the ground school.

I couldn’t bother you for info on the flight test?

The ops manual should be fine as I wrote our ops manual (before it turned into offering CPL/IR training) so should be ok with that.

1. Many thanks. Good news (don’t hear that oftern in aviation!) regarding the ground school.

I couldn’t bother you for info on the flight test?

The ops manual should be fine as I wrote our ops manual (before it turned into offering CPL/IR training) so should be ok with that.

The flight test is basically a 30 minute practical exam to ensure you’re able to operate a UAV safely.

You fly a series of pre defined patterns - and carry out a simulated operation. All the while the instructor will ask you to report on you battery status, altitude, orientation etc.

You’re required to do things like fly out to 300m - turn off the controller, reestablish control and return to home without looking at the screen.

I also carried out an ATTI test, which basically involved turning off GPS lock and flying the patterns unaided. Not easy in 15mph winds. You don’t have to do this, but it does potentially open the door to more freedom of ops.

It’s not a difficult test if you’re using a modern UAV

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom