aircraft carrier clemenceau

Discussion in 'Photo Sharing' started by paulyoung666, Feb 8, 2009.

1. paulyoung666

paulyoung666
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,841
    being towed into graythorp ( teesside ) for dismantling , now , is this the best i can expect using a canon 1000d with a 55-250 IS @ 250 , iso 100 , f 5.6 and 1/500th/sec , it all seems soft to me :( , is it me or what !!!!!!!!!!!! , all C&C very welcome :)

[​IMG]

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/3264193774/

Last edited: Feb 8, 2009
  2. paulyoung666

paulyoung666
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,841
    how about someone just throwing something random in to the pot !!!!!!!!!!!!! :rotfl:

3. cedmondson

cedmondson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +283
    I agree it seems a bit soft. The breaking waves in the foreground whilst not pin sharp suggests to me that your focus may not have been on the ship.
    Have a look at Hyperfocal Distance and Depth of Field Calculator - DOFMaster and dial in your settings. At a guess that ship must be what 5km away (perhaps more)? If you'd focused closer than 1km the ship wouldn't have been in focus. However if you'd focused at infinity the ship would have been sharp but I suspect the foreground breakers would have been much softer. My guess is that you focused middle distance but ended up with everything a little off. As an alternative to varying the focus point, try reducing aperture to (say) F8 or F9 - my guess is that this would give you a radically better result.
    I've seen some great results from the 55-250IS - work on your technique and if you don't see an improvement you may need to get the lens checked over.

HTH

4. paulyoung666

paulyoung666
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,841
    thanks for that , i used autofocus single point on the carrier , time to work on my technique maybe :)

5. bigtim

bigtim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    As above, smaller aperture would have been better here, perhaps f8.

Will also throw in that the air is hazy and has not helped. You could do a bit of remedial work on this by pulling a slight s curve in DPP and upping contrast. Assuming you shot this as RAW of course.

6. allymac123

allymac123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +435
    Is there a link to a full size version? Generally that's the only way to see if it is soft as downsizing often makes a sharp image appear soft.

7. jradley

jradley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +215
    I'm guessing most of the softness is due to the wide aperture and hazy air, but.........

I was getting a lot of soft focus on my 55-250 with my 450D until I realised (ok, someone from this forum pointed out to me) that it appeared to be front focussing (ie it would focus on objects nearer than that on which the focus point was). I did a lot of tests and sent them back to Canon for calibration and they came back much better.

I will also add that in my case having a UV filter on the front seems to make the lens more prone to misfocussing too, as well as possibly degrading image quality, but by how much is very hard to tell (and that's with a reasonable filter, the Hoya Pro-1 D).

Keep at it and post more shots and people with way more experience than me can offer more help I'm sure.

John

8. paulyoung666

paulyoung666
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,841
    thanks for all the help and ideas , i need to practice more methinks , the point about the air being hazy is very true , it was quite hazy :thumbsdow