Air Source Heat pump grants?

I've been looking into installing an ASHP, although without a grant would be incredibly (probably unacceptably) expensive. Is the RHI part of the Green Homes Grant and therefore defunct, or is it still running?
its a separate entity.

I came to the conclusion its a great bit of tech... if you live in Spain.

Our climate isn't particularly suited to it and existing buildings are not designed with it in mind.

New builds or eco homes with a means to generate the large amounts of electricity you will consume over winter to supplement the heating part of the process, are the only viable option... IMO.

Also on the grant I found that having a 97% efficient nasty gass boiler means converting to "green" energy entitles me to bugger all in terms of a grant because my current system is already super efficient.

If you burn oil or cute bunnies for fuel then your efficency will be lower, so the benefit of changing larger, therfore attracting a much larger grant.

Interesting stuff and my pal owns a company that makes this stuff too... who begrudgingly agreed with most of what I had surmised...

I came to the conclusion its a great bit of tech... if you live in Spain.

Our climate isn't particularly suited to it and existing buildings are not designed with it in mind.

New builds or eco homes with a means to generate the large amounts of electricity you will consume over winter to supplement the heating part of the process, are the only viable option... IMO.

Also on the grant I found that having a 97% efficient nasty gass boiler means converting to "green" energy entitles me to bugger all in terms of a grant because my current system is already super efficient.

If you burn oil or cute bunnies for fuel then your efficency will be lower, so the benefit of changing larger, therfore attracting a much larger grant.

Interesting stuff and my pal owns a company that makes this stuff too... who begrudgingly agreed with most of what I had surmised...

Well I burn bunnies using a 15 year old boiler, so maybe the grant will apply. Of course, first I have to improve the insulation to my house, which isn't so easy given it's a 53 year old bungalow with large windows. I'm not necessarily looking for something more efficient that my current boiler, but I'd like to cut out fossil fuel burning as much as possible, especially as it doesn't sit well with the electric car.

Once I've got to the point where I can get quotes for an ASHP, that'll be when I go off the whole idea...

I was considering an Air Source Heat Pump.

However I have micro bore piping to the radiators.

I got a company to quote for the system but they said I'd have to get a separate quote from a plumber to replace all the piping.

That puts it way out my price range. Shame that it won't work on micro bore systems.

I was considering an Air Source Heat Pump.

However I have micro bore piping to the radiators.

I got a company to quote for the system but they said I'd have to get a separate quote from a plumber to replace all the piping.

That puts it way out my price range. Shame that it won't work on micro bore systems.
Thanks we have micro bore to, and are currently on a 36yr old wall mounted gas boiler, still works ok and efficient as can be for the time.
Have it booked in later in August to replace boiler with combi Worcester bosch, pipe work will be flushed and TRV's added to Rads and keep all Rads and existing pipe work.
The mirco bore is in 1st floor and comes down walls in plaster over blocks to ground floor, it all seems ok but will have to see if get any leaks.
To replace with 15mm pipe will not only cost but I guess all the 1st floors will need to come up to access and put in new!
Its looking near 4k for new boiler and removal of all old tanks/pipes and TRV's.

What other options is there? I thought if split air con/heat systems, but then need something to heat water to!

What other options is there? I thought if split air con/heat systems, but then need something to heat water to!
Air to air HPs will need Planning Permission (unlike Air to Water where one outdoor unit is Permitted Development).
No grants or RHI as they'll be able to cool as well as heat.

Microbore might work in some cases - but low water temperature with A-WHPs, and need for bigger radiators to work that way likely means high circulating water speed and unwanted noise, probably? You'll need to get installers to explain exactly why it's a bad idea to retain microbore (with their calculations?).

Personally, I'd be disinclined to have to use two contractors to do the same heating installation... too much chance for one to blame the other when it doesn't perform as expected.

Hot water - electric immersion (via solar panels maybe?) or solar thermal panels, possibly, topped up by electric immersion in wintertime?

Air to air HPs will need Planning Permission (unlike Air to Water where one outdoor unit is Permitted Development).
No grants or RHI as they'll be able to cool as well as heat.

Microbore might work in some cases - but low water temperature with A-WHPs, and need for bigger radiators to work that way likely means high circulating water speed and unwanted noise, probably? You'll need to get installers to explain exactly why it's a bad idea to retain microbore (with their calculations?).

Personally, I'd be disinclined to have to use two contractors to do the same heating installation... too much chance for one to blame the other when it doesn't perform as expected.

Hot water - electric immersion (via solar panels maybe?) or solar thermal panels, possibly, topped up by electric immersion in wintertime?
Ah ok, all sounds a bit confusing and not really sorted for everyone and, will not be efficient or cost effective for all.
As I thought really for now the gas combi boiler will be best bet, as we also wanted more space in bathroom to get rid of hot water tank!
Will get split AC to in future if these temps keep rising!

Daikin High Temperarure ASHP can be used with existing pipework and radiators…

Thanks. Will this work with micro bore pipes?
As it can run at the same water flow temperature as a gas/oil boiler the answer must be yes... but how economically is a matter for you to research. (COP will vary with outside temperature AND the raise to these higher temperatures).

i would wait until next year, when the Government’s £4,000 Heat Pump grant becomes available (replacing the Renewable Heat Incentive).

Thanks. Will this work with micro bore pipes?
I have Air to Water heat pumps and my experience is this .. use no temperature control valves, no zoned heating . Run all the radiators open all the time ,and run the Circulation pump 24/7 .. except in summer of course. Then the micro bore and the cheap steel radiators don't really matter. . The heat pump measures the outflow and inflow temperatures of the water circulating and adjusts it operations to keep the target outlet temperature . By maximising the time the pump is working , it can operate at a low temperature rise of say 35degrees of hot temperature ..which is more efficient in the COP . So the trick basically is to reduce as far as possible the thermal resistance of the house as far as heat coming from the heating system is concerned. Of course one is better off with good thermal insulation in the external walls A standard steel radiator is designed to output 2kw of heat if the water is at 70 ..but it does this is fits and starts. With a heat pump circulating at 35 it is only at say 600watts , ..but that is enough over sufficient time.

Last edited by a moderator:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom