Air purifier UK Home please.

Discussion in 'Domestic White Goods Forum' started by PeterPoose, Feb 26, 2014.

1. PeterPoose

PeterPoose

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi folks,

We are after some recommendations for an air purifier for our front room in our flat which is 300 sqfeet just under :)

We have researched quite a bit but just cannot seem to pin down one to buy. We have smokers and want those particles to be caught in the filters whichever those are. We tried looking a particle sizes also and gather we need a filter that removes from 0.01 - 4 for smoke.

So from what we have researched we are looking at a TrueHepa filter with UV, Carbon.

I don't think we want a ionizer.

We also if possible would like the replacement filters to be fairly cheap or as cheap as can be and readily available in the UK.

Hoping for any suggestions from people who know more than us :)

Machines we looked at - Ecoair 155 CADR Pure Air Purifier with Hepa Filter/ Carbon Filter/ VOC Filter/ TiO2 Filter/ UV Light and Ioniser, White: Amazon.co.uk: Kitchen & Home

Blueair 203 HEPASilent Air Purifier: Amazon.co.uk: Kitchen & Home

So I guess our budget is around the £200 mark, do not mind going over by £100 if it is worth it.

Thank you

Peter

2. stuart07970

stuart07970

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +359
    Strongly suggest looking at the Blueair and Stadler Form ranges.
    Both are available with either smoke or particle filters

3. inchindown

inchindown

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I bought an air purifier recently after having some work done on the house. Had real problem with dust and every time I dusted, the dust would just go into the air and then settle back down on all my furniture.

I bought one of these;

Fellowes PlasmaTrue Large Size Air Purifier - Silver: Amazon.co.uk: Kitchen & Home

This machine really sorted out my dust problems and the air in the house does really feel fresher. There aren't any smokers in the house, so can't say how well it would deal with that. I do have a dog, and the house no longer smells of dog.

Like all these air purifiers, the main downside is usually the cost and frequency of replacing the filters. Always seems like a bit of a rip off to me.

On the whole I am very satisfied with the model I bought.

4. mitre

mitre

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +313
    Can't help on the smoking, I have a Daikin MC707 which deals with the dust, has an ioniser and comes with 7 years worth of 'normal' filters and a single bio filter - I'm very happy with it.
    My understanding is that an ionizer with make the cigarette particles larger and therefore easier to take out of the air??

If you're going for one with an activated carbon/charcoal filter, it may be possible to refill rather than buying a new filter.

That's pretty much all I can remember from my research though I was pretty horrified at how much some air purifiers would have cost in replacement filter so watch out for that.

5. PeterPoose

PeterPoose

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thank you for your replies all :)

Thats one thing I want to check for is the filters and how much they cost to replace :)

6. PeterPoose

PeterPoose

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    The Blueair looks awesome but the filters are really expensive and they recommend you change them every 6 months. I understand its healthy to replace them but at £190 every 6 months, its very expensive...for us.

7. tripoji

tripoji
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Air purifier are actually quite complicated than the genrao idea people have about it, this I realized after going through a lot of review sites and forum finding the best one to pick. though I finally settles for the alen Breathesmart based on recommendation from
    http://www.jenreviews.com/best-air-purifier/
    Air purifier without an inbuilt fan does not really work well even though the aim is to reduce noise. But it just up to you. I recommend you have a checklist when going aboutnyour research though.
    Good luck.

8. Stiggy

Stiggy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,043
    I know the thread is a bit old. We just got a Meaco dehumidifier, and it has the added benefit of a HEPA air filter.

We've had dehumidifiers for years, and wouldn't be without one now.