1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Air Clearance around Amps

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Monster, Dec 23, 2000.

1. Monster

Monster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    I am looking to get a Sony SWDB 940S which is 161mm high. The space in my TV unit is about 162mm ie I think it will fit if I bend the wooden upper shelf up a mm or so. There would be 50mm clearance either side, plenty at the back and the Amp is on feet giving approx 5mm clearance underneath. Is this enough clearance for the heat to dicipate. Perhaps someone who has got a 940 could advise if there is any guidance in the Manual? Thanks.

2. steve tyler

steve tyler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    monster,that sounds a bit tight to me,i`ve got an ax1 yam and in the manual it says 300 mil above the unit and 100 mil to either side.I personaly would house it eleswhere as its not worth the risk.

3. Dave H

Dave H

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +145
    I have a A1 yam which has 10 mil top and about 15 mil on the side and I play it loud and I have never had any problems in ten months. Their designed to work in a lot hotter countrys than ours!

------------------
    And the monkey flips the switch.

[This message has been edited by Dave H (edited 24-12-2000).]

4. Monster

Monster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Thanks Guys. I am told by the missus that there is nowhere else to put it and I'm afraid she's right (Short of buying a new cabinet!)! I may have to go for a smaller Amp. Yamaha A5 perhaps. Less power and I did like the look of the silver Sony. The room is only 4.5x3.5m though so it should be powerful enough. The only other thing I can think of is to remove the feet on the Sony and put the amp on 2.5mm pads giving a bit more space but then I guess it would invlaidate the warranty if I got my screwdriver out....dilemma dilemma!

5. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The feet are the size they are for a reason!! The LAST thing you want it to do on you is overheat (last case scenario: a fire!)

I have a Yamaha 795aRDS, and I think its bloody BRILLAINT, especially with slightly more power than the A5 / 596

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 27-12-2000).]

6. Colonial Marine

Colonial Marine
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It must be different from amp to amp. My budget Sherwood RDS925 lies at the bottom of a bog standard Panasonic cabinet.

On top of it there is a dvd player & video recorder, there is nothing to seperate these components but their little feet. When the glass door to the cabinet is shut the amp cuts out, but if I leave the door open I have no problems.

I really want a new cabinet, but our flat is so small I shall have to wait till we move house.

I guess you have to do it by trial & error?

On posts in the archives I've read of people putting fans in/on their cabinets but then you might have unwanted noise.

------------------
    I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit.....it's the only way to be sure.

7. StuartBooth

StuartBooth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I used to have my CD player on top of my amp. Wow did the CD player get *really* warm. I'd never noticed before until I started moving things around.

Now I make a point of allowing good air clearance just in case. I have this wobbly stand that the low-end stuff is on (ONdigital, VCR, radio), but I intend replacing that with a pukka Soundstyle rack to go with my Soundstyle TV stand as this will allow any kit on the TV stand to migrate onto a good solid equipment rack should a rearrangement call for it.

------------------
    Stuart Booth
    Somewhere in Buckinghamshire, England, UK

8. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Check out RicherSounds.co.uk or a number of online "shops".

I would recommend the Yamaha RX-V795aRDS over the Sony (because I've got the Yamaha!) and I think its an absolutely brillaint amp...

I managed to get it for £299 from Sevenoaks Sound and Vision, vs the RRP of £600!

Regards
    Patrick

9. GaryJ

GaryJ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Where is the Sony amp available from? Is it DD? How much is it? I'm looking for something similar - I know I haven't answered any of your queries but in my professional opinion (I'm a fireman) I would be concerned about the overheating. Without boring you too much the wood of the cabinet , over period of time, if exposed to continually high temperatures will dry out and become easier to ignite. It may take 6months or 3 years but do you want that thought at the back of your mind all the time? Play safe mate.