1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AIpod - any deals

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by lynx, Jul 29, 2005.

Tags:
  1. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    I''m going to purchase an ipod for ayoung relative, can someone suggest where the best deals can be found. Any models to avoid?

2. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,894
    Get ready for all the Sony owners to say "avoid all of them" :D
    Is it the big iPod you are looking to get or the mini or the shuffle ?
    You also need to make sure that they have Windows XP or Windows 2000 in order to run iTunes. I'm not really well up on iPod deals but I reckon they all tend to be pretty close to what you can buy them for on the apple uk shop.

3. p3rfect

p3rfect
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just bought a 60Gb iPod colour on eBay for £287 inc delivery. It's the latest model (M9830LL/A) with the increased battery life... Can't gaurantee you will get that model from the shops...

4. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    I have no idea what i'm looking for - perhaps you could give a run down of the differences in the various models :)

Does any of the following look a good deal...http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/prod...2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=92415
    http://store.apple.com/Apple/WebObjects/ukstore.woa/90201/wo/7P34Py9cmXt32BEfwy02xldd1bc/0.0.11.1.0.6.15.0.0.1.3.0.3.1.0.1.1.0
    http://www.komplett.co.uk/k/ki.asp?sku=306673&cks=PLS
    Also,is this worth waiting on?...http://promo.euro.apple.com/promo/refurb/uk
    Thanks.

5. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
  6. batesym

batesym
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If hes a student you can get a discount at the apple official website. think its about 20% that you get off. Check to see if you get the usb/firewire leads included - I dont know if they come supplied or not.

Has s/he asked for an Ipod, cos there are other brands available with better value for money in my opinion.

7. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,894
    It all depends on how much music he/she has and is likely to have. The iPod minis are smaller and easier to carry and probably seen as more trendy by the youngsters, but they are limited in their HDD size (either 4 or 6 GB depending on the model). The big iPods go up to 60GB and can therefore hold loads more music and you can rip the tracks at a higher bitrate if quality is an issue as there is more space. The Shuffle is a very small portable player with capacities of 512MB or 1GB. As the shuffle doesn't have a hard drive it will be of more use to people who jog or want to use it in a situation where the hard drive based models may skip. The shuffle doesn't have a screen though and if you have lots of music you would have to keep swapping the tracks onto it as opposed to having all your music on your portable device.
    If you narrow it down to one of the models then we can also give alternatives to look at unless he/she specifically wants an iPod (which a lot do!!)

8. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    The ipod is for a 14 yo lad. The15gig ipod in hd's post looks like it would do the trick - i mean whos ever going to fill up 15gig ( i recall thinking that with a 4 gig hard drive :rolleyes: ). Still i will take advice from you guys as i don't want to buy the wrong thing (why do the offer such a choice? :rolleyes: ).
    Thanks so far.