AIO Canon, HP or Epson Inkjet Printer

Discussion in 'Computer Peripherals & Consumables' started by GR8YFOX, Aug 20, 2012.

1. GR8YFOX

GR8YFOX
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello.

I am looking for an AIO inkjet printer for the brands stated in the title. My specifications are below.

Budget: My budget is £60 but I may go to £70.

Printing: Won't be doing a lot of colour printing so the colour print quality is not essential however black printing is not considerable but a fair bit. I print mostly text documents with some pictures. I am not fussed if the pictures are in B&W.

Interface: Touch screen interface, most preferably underneath not alongside the scanner.

Ink: Split into 4 cartridges for convenience and to minimise cost.

Power Consumption: Would strongly prefer low consumption just like everyone else.

I have read that Canon has very good print quality but their running costs are expensive. Epson have low running costs but what I have read is that the print heads for the Epson printers are not integrated into the printer itself and because of this, after a while the print heads will need to be cleaned. HP are the same as Canon but their customer service is poor according to reviews.

If I have missed anything, please specify and I will provide.

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,515
    Looking on the Canon website I don't think any of their AIO printers have a touchscreen, and those with a screen are on the top rather than the front of the printer: Canon PIXMA Inkjet All-in-One Printers - Multifunctionals - Canon UK

I've used Canon inkjet printers for several years and agree that their ink can be very expensive. However I rarely use original ink so pay about £1 per cartridge with a chip compared to around £10 for an original Canon cart - and they contain more ink.

I mainly install HP printers into small company offices etc rather than the home. They have very good customer service for businesses, but not sure about for the home. I've installed a couple of HP eAIO 6500 that have the front mounted touchscreen, but they cost over £100. Even with HP inks they are fairly cheap to run if using the larger XL cartridges.

I did have an Epson printer a few years back, but replaced it with a Canon due to better quality prints. It was more expensive on ink due to regular head cleaning cycles which waste a fair bit of ink. I also print directly onto CD's & DVD's and the disc handling of the Epson was very tempramental.

Mark.

3. GR8YFOX

GR8YFOX
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So which do you personally recommend? I am leaning towards HP but the poor customer service bugs me. I checked the reviews on Amazon UK and they say the customer service is abysmal. I checked the reviews for the HP PhotoSmart 5510.

As I said about Epson before, their print heads are a big problem so I want to avoid them if possible.

4. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,515
    In something like 20 years of PC use I've owned about 5 Canon and 1 Epson printer - I now own a Canon.

so which do you think I recommend :D

Mark.

5. GR8YFOX

GR8YFOX
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    lol :D

Thank you for the replies. I will wait to see what other people say.

One last question. Seeing as the AIO Canon printers don't have the touchscreen at the front, which from Epson and HP do you suggest?

Last edited: Aug 21, 2012