Aimless Camera Search for a Quality Compact

After selling my LX3 last year, I am now considering another high end compact to compliment my main camera, so am interested in this thread..

Had my first look at the X10 at lunchtime, and it seems very nice - that said, it seems that when the lens was set to 28mm, the end of the lens is visible through the optical viewfinder - is that correct ? I imagine that may be slightly annoying, or do you get used to it ?

Also seems that Panasonic may be announcing the LX7 tomorrow for a September release - specs seem good if true - a larger 1 inch sensor and a 1.4 lens. Sounds nice..

I need to consider what I want a compact for - previously, I sometimes used my LX3 for long exposures with filters attached, but now think that if I am going to take the tripod\filters etc, I might as well take my DSLR as well, so probably really looking for something smaller to carry at all times..

I used the OVF from time to time and once you understand its constraints it works OK as a framing device in bright sunlight. Seeing the end of the lens didn't bother me at all.

On the X10 the IQ is simply outstanding

Its not difficult is it ? A compact camera that provides the following without the need for a second mortgage like the RX100 demands...and has key features missing IMO for that sort of money. Great cameras like the LX5 are now 2 years old...the S100 is a quality camera but "slow" at the long end at f5.9...but is that a problem in reality ?

Not even looking for the perfect camera I don't think....

Excellent IQ in low and normal light
Bright lens
RAW
Don't care about 1080/p video in the slightest..or GPS... or lots of "effects"
Good zoom would be nice as its a carry round DSLR alternative but 4-5X will do

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom