Aimless Camera Search for a Quality Compact

topgazza

Distinguished Member
So, after Fuji refunding my X10 because of ongoing sensor swap issues...and my reluctance to buy another right away I thought I have a look at a temp replacement more along the lines of a travel/holiday camera. But good quality not the "bottom" end of the P&S market. Boy is that P&S end oversubscribed by, seemingly, millions of cameras.....

So I narrowed my search down to the Sony HS20, Panasonic TZ30, Canon S100 and the Samsung WB850 as truly quality compacts and better than average compacts. I found the whole exercise disappointing. In Jessops Basingstoke on Saturday at 10.30 am there was not one of these cameras on display that worked....which is a disgrace. is it really beyond the wit of a retail outlet struggling for survival to task its managers to go around and charge up key models overnight. Sure it means 30 mins after shop closing setting them up but do they really want to sell cameras ? Put a bit of effort in guys but sorry, there is no excuse for such pitiful retailing. Out of 22 cameras on display in the "COMPACT" and bridge section 4 worked. there were gaps all over the place in the DSLR section and don't get me started on the CSC section...pathetic.

Tried JL and had better success and was very impressed by the HS20 and the Samsung. I was familiar with the TZ30 and S100 and despite its "limited" 5x zoom the Canon is an excellent camera. problem for me is I have a TZ10 and the A580...the X10 was the middle ground quality IQ camera I could walk around with easier. In some respects it almost stands alone in the market and is not overly expensive. Some of these compact high end cameras are too expensive with the new Sony HX100 being a prime example but maybe offer similar reasonably similar PQ to the X10 but in a smaller package. But what I ultimately found disappointing/frustrating was that nothing stood out and said "buy me"...which is what the X10 did. At the compact high end of the market there is a whole range of makes and specification which just don't help...often from the same manufacturer.

I like the idea of a 20x zoom but its not essential and the Samsung (suprisingly) the Sony and the Panny produced good PQ IMO...unless like some reviews you are a pixel peeper...which is unfair given sensor size and price. For largely non RAW cameras they are superb examples of modern technology and would make any happy camper on holiday happy with their pictures. So whilst I wait for the dust to settle on the X10 new sensor issue I'm left with no clear alternative in the compact area to compliment my TZ10. Perhaps I was naive in thinking that one would smack me in the kisser with that "buy me" feeling :eek:

Worth a mention in dispatches are the XZ-1 and Nikon J1 but I'm not convinced by either and the J1 with lens is just too big and I found the XZ-1 lens ring very easy to move unintentionally....but maybe that was just the example I tried

Last edited:

topgazza

Distinguished Member
As A Spurs fan I am of course pleased to have your post here :rotfl::rotfl:
(Actually I am a rarity and think the Arsenal are, usually, a joy to watch and Wenger is a top class manager)

Anyway...moving on.... I found the TZ30, S100 and the Sony HX20 in particular fine in low light with. But I see that as a bonus be it all a really nice to have one. the X10 is great in pretty much any scenario so for me is a tough act to follow anyway.

I enjoy the zoom on my TZ10 and do use it and if this camera is to supplement that then i guess a decent zoom feature would be important. I intend to get an X10 again, I think, for that DSLR alternative so this new camera would be the everything for all men type camera....but I did/do enjoy the IQ from the X10 so want something close to that at least.

topgazza

Distinguished Member
Have to add that in many respects the S100 fits the bill. Be it all with only a 5x zoom but I need convincing as for some reason it doesn't set my world on fire.....

Happysteveo

Banned
Ha ha, you lot had us worried last season, was luck of the draw a bit towards the end, to begin with I laughed when AVB was announced but he could compliment Spurs well, exciting transfer prospects as well

Have you looked at the Powershot SX260? I have the SX220 and looking to upgrade for the Olympics, it has served me well in low light, but now looking for something with good marks in low light and full zoom in use.

topgazza

Distinguished Member
Well you know Spurs......we're always going to win everything....... :blush:

I have always been a huge Ixus fan and think Canon , to a large degree, make the best P&S cameras. the Powershot is nice but I think I want that bit more but maybe I should have a proper look at it. I think I am slightly struggling with the thought process of getting something that is close to the X10 in quality when really I should be "focussed" on another TZ10 type camera

Happysteveo

Banned
ha ha. Well you have won a trophy more recently than us, someone at work likes to remind me :(

I think I am going to go for the DSC-HX20V, good trade off between price and functions, you can get £40 atm as well.

What would you be using the camera for?

topgazza

Distinguished Member
Grab and go camera and museums, galleries, street photos where I don't really want to take my DSLR...and those holiday snaps. But I have got used to good quality snaps and to be fair most of these cameras produce exceptional images by any standards.

HX20 is a a good choice. I still have no idea and I don't want to keep going out and looking...it shouldn't be that tough a decision in some respects. Maybe there is too much choice out there and as I said in my original post...nothing stands out way above the others. Which I guess is a good thing in some respects as standards have risen so high. I am inclined towards the TZ30 as I have a TZ10 and the menu is the same and I know its foibles. But superb though the TZ10 is sometimes a change is as good as a rest as they say. Oh..I don't know :facepalm:

Johnmcl7

Distinguished Member
Although the feature set is less I'd probably go for the TZ25 over the TZ30 for its improved image quality.

John

Would it be cheaper for you to either work for a camera review company/website or even work in Jessops on a Saturday. :laugh:

How did you get Fuji to refund your X10 ???

topgazza

Distinguished Member
Although the feature set is less I'd probably go for the TZ25 over the TZ30 for its improved image quality.

John
That thought occurred to me as well John. I must be honest I am thinking...looking at the wide selection of "not quite right" cameras in this market to just keep my TZ10 and either wait for a few weeks or so for the X10 issue to clear. For me the X10 has "spoilt" me a bit. But at the high end P&S compact I agree about the TZ25. Better IQ still reasonable zoom and I would really miss the other features as I don't use GPS now and the only thing that's semi useful would be the touch screen focus point. Although the Sony HX20 gets very good reviews and is nice to handle as well

Would it be cheaper for you to either work for a camera review company/website or even work in Jessops on a Saturday. :laugh:

How did you get Fuji to refund your X10 ???
Guy jokingly offered me a job in JL as I was telling him all about several cameras :rotfl::rotfl: ...at least I think he was joking :eek:

Mind you, in Jessops I could be chief battery charger :thumbsup:

Fuji was a bit odd. I chased them as my camera was overdue by a couple of days after getting an email from them saying it was on the way. I just mentioned that I was concerned at news of another problem and was the reason for the delay. Only had camera 2 months , now 3 weeks without it, I'd ask for a refund as I have lost confidence in my camera but I just want it back. Two hours later I get an email saying refund is being processed.

My view is that are very, very sensitive about the whole issue and although the new problem of noise only happens on fairly obscure settings I don't think they will put up a fight if anyone actually does ask for a refund. Only having had it a couple of months may have made it easier but the impression I got is that they are not looking for a fight.

As I said earlier the X10 was/is such a great camera to use I really do want another one so i have a portable alternative to my A580. Not sure I want to pay over £500 for the unproven Sony RZ100 as a high end non DSLR camera. And most cameras would be hard pushed to match let alone beat the X10 IQ IMO...at the moment.

My issue is with the high end "genuine" compacts for the reasons I've been saying. Too much choice in many respects. All have their "issues" of course but I think, as John suggests the TZ25 is a real possibility...maybe HX20,,,or perhaps the S100.....:facepalm::facepalm::eek:

Last edited:

topgazza

Distinguished Member
Just had another email from Fuji saying that if I want to order another refurb X10 they will make sure I get one with the new sensor fitted as most of the refurbs don't. Can't believe how helpful and communicative they are. Puts Sony/Canon etc etc to shame

Just had another email from Fuji saying that if I want to order another refurb X10 they will make sure I get one with the new sensor fitted as most of the refurbs don't. Can't believe how helpful and communicative they are. Puts Sony/Canon etc etc to shame
Tell them you will have the x-pro1 in the x10 box ;)

shotokan101

Distinguished Member
Gazza - I'd suggest that you don't get anything that doesn't do RAW

topgazza

Distinguished Member
Tell them you will have the x-pro1 in the x10 box ;)
They seem a nice bunch I'm sure that won't be a problem :thumbsup:

Gazza - I'd suggest that you don't get anything that doesn't do RAW
Thought about that Jim and I agree but I am considering a Sony HX20 as a superior P&S rather than the TZ. £40 cashback until the 18th.

But I think I will still be getting an X10

topgazza

Distinguished Member
my application is in......

topgazza

Distinguished Member
I nearly bought the Sony HX20V earlier but held off. Although I don't use it all the time I would miss RAW for those shots that need some teasing out.

Given the choice between an S100 or X10 I would go fro the X10 every time. I have found it interesting how every review of most cameras talk a lot about video capabilities. Not knocking video in stills camera as its here to stay but I have never used it at all in any of my cameras.

topgazza

Distinguished Member
Good price for an exceptional camera...:cool:

Last edited:

topgazza

Distinguished Member
..I've got a feeling in my water that they will announce and updated X10 by the end of the year. Given the success of the X range they will continue to invest in them IMO. Better OVF etc

Still waiting to hear how X100 users are getting on with that fixed 23mm lens.... as I found the zoom on the X10 really useful

topgazza

Distinguished Member
I'll chase them up PP....:facepalm:

topgazza

Distinguished Member
It's a hell of a lot of "extra" though......

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic HZ2000 OLED TV Review: The best OLED for movie viewing in 2020

Latest News

McIntosh launches MX100 AV processor and MI347 power amp
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Samsung updates and expands access to Samsung TV Plus
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Disney+ UK introduces GroupWatch co-viewing feature
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published