Aimed at those using RGB on gamecube

gIzzE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have just bought an rgb cable for a pal gamecube and I am getting what looks like a chickenwire effect, similar to watching an image on a low res lcd projector.

this is when playing mario, the only game i have on pal, compared to the image i get on my jap mario using s-video the image is no where near as good.

does everyone get this same effect ???

i am using an RGB cable from game, and it is RGB, the tv switches to RGB when i turn the cube on, maybe the official cable will improve things, but i doubt it, the imge is very crisp but it seems too crisp, as if it could do with a bit of smoothing out to blend the grid together.

So has anyone else noticed this ??

one other thing i noticed is the pal cube is alot brighter than the ntsc cube, using the standard composite cable on bright scenes in mario it almost looks bleached out. so maybe there is a problem with the cube ?

anyway could someone tell me if they can see the chicken wire effect too ( easy to spot on big bright areas) on their cube.

cheers

G

edit: just realised that using the composit cable that comes with the pal cube give a normal looking pic, not too bright, and using the same cable on the jap cube makess the ntsc machine too dark. seems that the composite output is different levels for each machine and ,aybe there is a resitor in the pal cable to bring it down to correct level. this happened on the rgb on jap super famicoms.

As has been said many times before, buy the official Nintendo RGB cable, it is the only one that works!

Except from the cables from Groundy, but they are not available in the normal outlets :)

no one had any in stock when i was looking yesterday , will try toys'r'us tonight.

the cable works in rgb ok and after going back to composite last night you can still see the chickenwire effect but because it is composite it is not so obvious.

but i will get an official cable and give that a whirl.

cheers guys

Just to note the NTSC Gamecubes do not natively support RGB. You would have to modify a Component or D-Terminal cable to get RGB from this baby.

And yeah.. Nothing bar the official RGB Cable or Groundy's will do for PAL GCs.

Regardless of what these cables from Game etc. advertise, I have yet to see one that is wired properly for RGB on the PAL Cube. 4 extra Capacitors are required - one each on the R, G, B wires and one on the Composite Video (Sync) wire. The Game cable is probably missing the one on the Sync wire. Open it up and have a look.

the cable is wired correctly for rgb including the correct caps for the RGB and sync i checked this before i left the store.

i was running out of inputs on my tv so thought i would buy the scart to loop through sky box, have component cable for the cube for cinema room , but the room is not finished for another 2 weeks so this was a stop gap.

I am probably being too picky, the picture is leaps and bounds better than composite, but, i do notice the chicken wire effect and wondered if anyone else noticed this too.

I put my jap mario back on and the effect is there on that too, but no where near as noticable. Guess i will just have to try and ignore it ;)

Well good work on checking the Game Cable :) but it still sounds like it is to blame. Have you tried plugging the cable in directly and not via the loopthrough? Other's have told me this particular cable definately does not give a proper RGB signal but I haven't tried it myself. All I can say is that I don't notice any of the issues you have described when using RGB, S-Video or Component from my NTSC Cube.

yeah tried it directly in, exactly the same.

I am not a great fan of RGB on my my philps as there is sod all difference between that and s, and i would rather have the video switching of s via amp.

but seeing as they have dropped the s from the pal cube i thought i would use the rgb. thought it may be the tv so i just rgb modded a dreamcast (didnt have a cable , think i gave it to someone on here) and that is fine.
its only fopr 2 weeks anyway but once somthing bugs me i get a bit obsessive ;)

just to let everyone know who helped me earlier that i got an official RGB cable and still the same problems, so i guess it is the cube, going to take it back and get it swapped over.

bugger, first pal machine i have owned since i got my colecovision in 1983, almost 20 years ago, and it doesn't work right :rolleyes:

I get a minor chickenwire effect on my NTSC machine using Svideo, I tried many different cables without any change and I have just learned to live with it. It isn't all that noticable unless you sit right close to the TV anyway.

i get it too wth my ntsc machine but this was far more visable.
anyway changed the machine over and it seems to have sorted it.

can't get my head round what was up with it, but sorted anyway.

I have both the Game cable and the official Nintendo RGB cable. I have noticed a small amount of chickenwire effect on games that have a lot of bright colours moving around the screen.

In particular Mario Sunshine, Luigi's Mansion and Burnout seem to be bad for this. The official RGB cable negates a lot of this problem, but if you're really picky about quality (which I am) then it is just a wee bit irritating.

Mind you, anything's better than that composite video nasty that gets bundled with the UK machine.

the D-terminal is a japanaese standard for hooking kit togeter, like putting rgb into a scart plug, they put component into a D-terminal.

there are different specs. ie d1 is 480i up to about d6, wich is probably 1800p or higher, all d spec cables are backwards compatible , so a D6 will carry a d1, 2, 3, ,4 and D5 signal.

you can buy input cards for some plasma screens to accept d-terminal but you would have to order from japan.

It is mainly found on there set top boxes for hi-def i believe.

Does the d-terminal provide a better picture for a compatible display, or is it excactly the same as the components?

in theory it is the same, but then I would always choose individualy shielded cables (component 3x 75ohm) over a cable where the signals are bunched together.

I've just got a GC for Xmas, and after connecting it to my projector with an RGB cable, I too am very disappointed with the chickenwire effect (looks just like my PS2 with an S-video connection, maybe worse). Unfortunately I've left the packaging at work, so I don't know which make it is, but it was around £10 from Game (probably too cheap to be an official one :))

This is a stop-gap, as I've got a component cable on order from Lik-Sang. Does anyone know if this is likely to remedy the problem?

i changed my cube for a new one and that sorted the problem.

however flicking between the official rgb cable and the game one, there is a fair bit of difference between the 2.

get an official cable for now, and yes component will be better than the game rgb but probably no different to the official rgb cable.

Does the official GC RGB cable offer sockets/plugs for breaking the sound off into an AV amp? My TV is very old (but supports RGB) and does not have audio out sockets. It seems a shame to improve the picture whilst loosing sound quiality.

no it doesnt have audio outs, best bet is to buy a phono-phono cable and solder it to the pins on the scart.

pin 6 audio left
pin 2 audio right
pin 4 audio ground

Originally posted by schlafsack
Are any cables available that use the gc's digital out socket.

Yes:

The official Nintendo component Video Cable
The official Nintendo D-Terminal Cable
Modified High-Quality RGB Cable (Custom Made by myself & others).

The above cables are not available in the UK and must be imported but they do work with PAL machines.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom