1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AI HCC Test

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Greg Hook, Nov 9, 2003.

1. Greg Hook

Greg Hook
    Moderator & Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    In a secret location with Jennifer Lawrence
    Ratings:
    +7,494
    Hi

Not sure if this should be in the speakers or this forum as it covers a bit of both.

Anyway I have just got round to buying the AI Dvd after I found it cheap in a sale and remember seeing a test in the July 2002 issue of HCC where they tested the sound from various parts of the DVD to see if you could hear it on your system. So I thought I would have a go on my system. (Denon 3802 amp with Tannoy speakers)

A few of the tests my system failed at, which I was a bit disappointed and wondered if anyone could help me solve the reason why it failed.

If you still have the July2002 issue it may help in solving my probs.

Firstly the test at 35:53 where you are supposed to hear a subsonic thrum (it says its below the 30hz point) sound start up at low level I don't hear. I do hear some bass further on in the scene but not the build up of pressure as described in the test.

Secondly the rear test where you are supposed to hear David's dad say 'get him out of sight' from the rear right channel I do hear coming from the front a bit aswell and if I put my ear to the rear right speaker I can just hear it there too.

Also the test at 56:43 where the truck dumps the parts the bass is not as massive as they say it should be.

The rest of the tests I think it passed on but just wondered why it failed (by my ears) on the above.

I realise the test was a long time ago in HCC but hoping for some help.

Thanks
    Greg

2. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would take it with a pinch of salt mate TBH. What system was he using? Probably the HCC reference system which consists of a Lexicon MC12, Parasound amps (I think...) and M & K THX certified speakers. If he couldn't hear those bits you mentioned on his system, then nobody can.
    First of all, make sure your speakers are set up correctly using a SPL. This is probably the best upgrade you can carry out on your system without actually adding to it...
    Secondly, make sure the speakers are set up correctly in your amp...distance, size, crossover (probably THE most important IMO).
    Thirdly, sit back and enjoy the show. I'm now done picking holes in my system. I used to watch movies and rip my system to bits...since I stopped doing that, I find I enjoy movies a whole lot more...:smoke:

Edit - if I remember rightly, the reviewer used expressions like "the sound should be coming right from the back of the centre box...)...would you trust a man who uses the word "box" for speaker...:confused: :D

3. Greg Hook

Greg Hook
    Moderator & Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,494
    Thanks for the reply armybloke.

As you suggest I think I will take it with a pinch of salt. To be honest I was perfectly happy, and still am, before I did these tests anyway.

I already have my system setup using an SPL meter, and also the distance and size setup through the amp, but can't remember seeing anything about crossover. Although as I don't know what it is probably just glossed over it!

Any tips on what I should set the crossover to? and also what is crossover in laymans terms.

Cheers
    Greg

4. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The crossover is the frequency at which the amp/processor sends signals at (and below) to the subwoofer. THX reference is 80hz. Most amps have at least 3 crossover settings...my Pioneer has 100, 150 & 200hz settings. If you have the setting to high (200hz for eg), your amp will be sending all signals below that freq to your sub...even though your main speakers can handle them quite well. Your sub probably isn't designed to deal with anything much above 150hz efficiently TBH. If you have full range speakers for the front left & right, set the mains to small and let the sub do all the hard work. You could set them to large but then the amp will send bass frequencies to both the front speakers and the sub at the same time. This way, the bass will sound slow and muddled...

5. Greg Hook

Greg Hook
    Moderator & Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,494
    Great. Thanks for that explanation.

:) :clap:

Cheers
    Greg